to elitefx

Re: Usage - overages

said by elitefx:

Why not automatically bill overages/penalties in blocks:

0-50GB=$10
50-100GB=$20
100GB plus=$???fixed amount

Keeps it simple and effective.

This. What you are currently trying to implement right now Marc is confusing as hell and makes no sense even after going through the thread, trying to understand your explanations.

Or make it simple. 300GB and less per month, you're billed for 300GB plan. If you go over 300GB, you're automatically billed for the difference between Unlimited and 300GB usage.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

said by elitefx:

0-50GB=$10
50-100GB=$20

This. What you are currently trying to implement right now Marc is confusing as hell and makes no sense even after going through the thread, trying to understand your explanations.

The max you would pay is $20 more than the unlimited tier.

(see, that was easy)
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

Or make it simple. 300GB and less per month, you're billed for 300GB plan. If you go over 300GB, you're automatically billed for the difference between Unlimited and 300GB usage.

that's not bad too. plus $20.. has to be an incentive to upgrade

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

....Or make it simple. 300GB and less per month, you're billed for 300GB plan. If you go over 300GB, you're automatically billed for the difference between Unlimited and 300GB usage.

THAT might work, within each given speed/tier.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

(see, that was easy)

I say go for it. The only people that won't like it are the folks that are trying to take advantage of the rules anyway....

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by elitefx:

....The only people that won't like it are the folks that are trying to take advantage of the rules anyway....

HeHeHe....
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

said by elitefx:

0-50GB=$10
50-100GB=$20

(see, that was easy)

Only because you said it like that... Following the first few posts and explanations and I just don't understand it. I myself would much prefer paying the difference between the two and get bumped up to Unlimited tier if I go over 300GB for any given month. Makes more sense, is more fair (imo), and easy to follow and understand. And note I don't use more than 200GB on a month, so this doesn't even concern me to begin with!

You gotta remember that not everyone comes to DSLR and is as knowledgeable as us. A lot of your customers just want a good alternative to Robellus and Cogeco.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

Only because you said it like that... Following the first few posts and explanations and I just don't understand it. I myself would much prefer paying the difference between the two and get bumped up to Unlimited tier if I go over 300GB for any given month. Makes more sense, is more fair (imo), and easy to follow and understand. And note I don't use more than 200GB on a month, so this doesn't even concern me to begin with!

You gotta remember that not everyone comes to DSLR and is as knowledgeable as us. A lot of your customers just want a good alternative to Robellus and Cogeco.

well actually, my way is even more fair (or lenient.. or to be blunt, would cost you less than your way) than what you're suggesting. by quite a bit really.
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

well actually, my way is even more fair (or lenient.. or to be blunt, would cost you less than your way) than what you're suggesting. by quite a bit really.

But if it doesn't make sense or is easily understood, you'll have trouble with the public. I may be negative, but I think my negativity and concerns opens up new ideas and problems that you may not have thought about before... I don't know. I don't work for Teksavvy and I'm not TSI Marc but to me, it's a valid concern.

Plus as a business, you need revenues. You can always adjust the packages and make them cheaper by $2 or whatever once you got a better sense of what happens once APOI hits. We welcome price decreases more than price increases you know

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

But if it doesn't make sense or is easily understood, you'll have trouble with the public. I may be negative, but I think my negativity and concerns opens up new ideas and problems that you may not have thought about before... I don't know. I don't work for Teksavvy and I'm not TSI Marc but to me, it's a valid concern.

Plus as a business, you need revenues. You can always adjust the packages and make them cheaper by $2 or whatever once you got a better sense of what happens once APOI hits. We welcome price decreases more than price increases you know

oh totally a valid concern. I dont see it that you're being negative.. - constructive criticism..

my concern is that I want something that makes sense and that I can live with myself when charging these overages...
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

said by TSI Marc:

oh totally a valid concern. I dont see it that you're being negative.. - constructive criticism..

my concern is that I want something that makes sense and that I can live with myself when charging these overages...

Simple yet effective and is reasonable is the best way to go. You shouldn't sacrifice profits to make yourself happy. Like I said, if you find yourself making too much (which no company should be sad or not like), then drop your package pricing by $2 or whatever to make yourself even more competitive!

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

Simple yet effective and is reasonable is the best way to go.

ok so, what do you see as simple again?
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla

said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

What I proposed earlier, with the automatic bumping up in tiers if you go past 300GB for a specific month, then charging the difference between Unlimited and 300GB for that month.

Or as elitefx suggested, usage blocks, which I'm in total support of as well as long as they are reasonable.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by geokilla:

said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

What I proposed earlier, with the automatic bumping up in tiers if you go past 300GB for a specific month, then charging the difference between Unlimited and 300GB for that month.

Or as elitefx suggested, usage blocks, which I'm in total support of as well as long as they are reasonable.

hum. that would mean that there's no reason to take anything other than the lowest usage package...
TSI Marc

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I'm more leaning towards:

"The max you would pay is $X more than the unlimited tier."

things at this point.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

hum. that would mean that there's no reason to take anything other than the lowest usage package...

Cell providers offer data packs like that, where they bump you to the next data amount each month if you exceed the one below it.

Some call it 'Flex'.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

things at this point.

...which is fine, but now, how do we GET there ?

IOW, by what cost steps per GB or whatever ?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

things at this point.

voodoo majik!
geokilla
North York, ON

geokilla to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Then make it the difference X 125%? Make them think twice before signing up for 300GB. So if you were at 45/4, the difference would be $56.25. That 25% can be quite costly...

I guess that goes back to your following though.
said by TSI Marc:

things at this point.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Final thought: a lot of guys have been suggesting a tier/price between 300GB and Unlimited. You could incorporate the automatic usage blocks AND the Unlimited plus $20 for 100GB over and up. Got to have an incentive for folks to play by the rules.

Straight up Unlimited plus $20 may unfairly penalize a user who simply downloads 5 or 10GB too much. Although that's a judgement call.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to geokilla

Premium Member

to geokilla
said by geokilla:

said by TSI Marc:

Then make it the difference X 125%? Make them think twice before signing up for 300GB. So if you were at 45/4, the difference would be $56.25. That 25% can be quite costly...

I guess that goes back to your following though.
said by TSI Marc:

things at this point.

yeah exactly.. no matter how you try to simplify it.. you always end up with "oh and there's also a 25% additional hit"

or something you have to add to make it add up.

thinking that it's complicated. there's no way around it. but it's the right thing. it's different but in a good way. and the net result is that we've got your back.. if you go over by a bit.. we wont even charge you for it. if you go by a lot but you dont usually do it.. we'll charge you a little.. and if you're always going over.. you really should upgrade to the higher tier but until you do, here's a little something to make you think twice about it.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to elitefx

Premium Member

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by TSI Marc:

Final thought: a lot of guys have been suggesting a tier/price between 300GB and Unlimited. You could incorporate the automatic usage blocks AND the Unlimited plus $20 for 100GB over and up. Got to have an incentive for folks to play by the rules.

Straight up Unlimited plus $20 may unfairly penalize a user who simply downloads 5 or 10GB too much. Although that's a judgement call.

yeah.. my way.. my original post does exactly. that.

..so i'm inclined to stick with what I originally though but not even try to explain it and just say: you'll never pay more than $X above unlimited. for more details go here...
Doeboye
join:2006-11-07
Canada

Doeboye

25% higher then unlimited for the 150/10 Cable account seems a bit steep... My math shows a one month cost of $275 instead of $85...

Adding intermediary packages between unlimited and 300 for all speeds, with an extra penalty on top, might be the solution.

You go over your package limit, you get temporarily bumped to the next tier and penalized on top. That would stop people from gaming the system by taking the lowest tier always, as well as encourage people to select the correct tier for their usage. At the same time, someone who downloads an unusual amount of data one month, will not get overly penalized...

Combine that with a rolling average, and the people that go over a bit won't get penalized, while the abusers will pay the price...

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

um. my ideal situation is that everybody is in their right usage tier with no overages..

overges are a pain.. it changes the amount that comes out of your account.. so then you get in to things like NSF fees.. it causes all sorts of calls...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

things at this point.

voodoo majik!

you mean Tim-Bits
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

....if you go over by a bit.. we wont even charge you for it. if you go by a lot but you dont usually do it.. we'll charge you a little.. and if you're always going over.. you really should upgrade to the higher tier but until you do, here's a little something to make you think twice about it.

And if your name is ANGELO, we HIRE you.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

you mean Tim-Bits

haha yes!
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by geokilla:

Submission to the Borg is the simple solution.
Bell will file an R&V of the latest decision the day after you publish your updated price list, thereby forcing you back to the drawing board anyway.