spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

acegolfer

join:2012-12-24

the best VoIP combo for mobile phones

I have tested 10+ VoIP solutions on my cell phone (Nexus 4) to avoid cell minutes.

Personally, the following combo gives the best overall experience.

server: PIAF-green (asterisk 11)
host: Amazon EC2
VSP: your choice (I'm using Google Voice)
codec: SILK12 (for both wifi and 3g)
client: csipsimple (android app)
transport: TCP

This setup is free, if you follow the ToS.

Guide: »forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=2117336

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2

said by acegolfer:

This setup is free, if you follow the ToS.

Guide: »forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=2117336

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to acegolfer

How is this any better than using Google Voice direct, either with the official app or with GrooVe IP?

XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast

How does one go about having their Asterisk server use codecs other than PCMA/U?

Callcentric only really supports those codecs, but if these other codecs can give better performance over WiFi/3G I'm sure I can get my Asterisk server to handle transcoding.

My Asterisk server is plenty powerful enough to transcode if I need/want it too, but I have no idea how to set it up.

acegolfer

reply to josephf

1. If you are talking about Google Voice app, it doesn't offer VoIP function.
2. I can't make a decent call with GrooveIP over 3g.

josephf

Who is your 3G carrier?

And how does the solution you proposed in the OP improve over GrooVeIP's method?

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to acegolfer

said by acegolfer:

client: csipsimple (android app)
transport: TCP

Did you test the native client also? Not sure if can use TCP, I didn't test it yet.

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to acegolfer

said by josephf:

How is this any better than using Google Voice direct, either with the official app or with GrooVe IP?

said by acegolfer:

1. If you are talking about Google Voice app, it doesn't offer VoIP function.
2. I can't make a decent call with GrooveIP over 3g.

said by josephf:

Who is your 3G carrier?

And how does the solution you proposed in the OP improve over GrooVeIP's method?

My guess is it's T-Mobile Prepaid from acegolfer See Profile's post at xda-developers: Free VoIP (internet call) Solutions for Smartphones.

said by "acegolfer's post at xda-developers" :
Since I moved to 100-min unlimited data plan a couple of months ago, I have tested 10+ different VoIP methods to avoid using cell minutes.

Below, I have compared these 10+ methods using 5 criteria: call quality over mobile data connection (3g), battery efficiency, reliability, ease of setup, and cost.

said by XANAVirus:

How does one go about having their Asterisk server use codecs other than PCMA/U?
---
My Asterisk server is plenty powerful enough to transcode if I need/want it too, but I have no idea how to set it up.

Depending upon your asterisk distribution, it may already be installed.

Which asterisk distribution do you use?

To get a list of installed codecs on your system, from the shell/terminal, type:

asterisk -rx "core show codecs"

or from the Asterisk Command Line Interface

core show codecs

If your asterisk system doesn't have the silk codec installed:

PBX in a Flash - Install silk

[asterisk-users] is silk included in asterisk 11?

Please read the information from the 2nd link, which will lead to sample configurations for codecs.conf and sip.conf.

said by XANAVirus:

Callcentric only really supports those codecs, but if these other codecs can give better performance over WiFi/3G I'm sure I can get my Asterisk server to handle transcoding.

CallCentric FAQ - Supported Voice Codecs

josephf

On the xdadeveloper site, acegolfer indicates he was using tmobiles 3g network rather than their 4g network. Perhaps that explains his poor voice quality issues.

SCADAGeo

N California

said by josephf:

On the xdadeveloper site, acegolfer indicates he was using tmobiles 3g network rather than their 4g network. Perhaps that explains his poor voice quality issues.

Plan for the worst case scenario, and hope for the best.

wl08

join:2010-09-01
reply to josephf

I am using Sipdroid+Pbxes on 3G

Codec:Speex/GSM
Transport: TCP

Pro: Very easy to setup
Con:Sound quality is average.

acegolfer

reply to josephf

I consider Tmo HSPA+ network as 3g not 4g. Tmo 4g is just a marketing gimmick.

It's not the speed but the packet loss that degrades VoIP call quality. HSPA+ cannot consistently sustain 128kbps throughput in real time (required for ulaw 2-way signal).

josephf

Are any of the major U.S. wireless carriers good with carrying VOIP?

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to acegolfer

Trying to use VoIP over cellular data is going to be a crap shoot and I wouldn't count on it.

"4G" in itself is just a marketing badge so don't even look at it.

Your best bet will be to try and use LTE...then again no guarantees.

Also, Callcentric does support G.729.

XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast
reply to SCADAGeo

said by SCADAGeo:

Depending upon your asterisk distribution, it may already be installed.
Which asterisk distribution do you use?

I use PBX in a Flash, Purple Version.
I host it on my home network, 15Mbps Down / 1.5Mbps Up on Suddenlink.

I use IAX for my cellular data VOIP solution, since SIP will never work reliably with my setup (plus, too many open ports).

AT&T has a dozen NATs separating my smartphone and the general Internet, so in order for VoIP to work reliably I had to use IAX (before, I wasn't able to use Callcentric on AT&T unless I was on WiFi).

So, it's probably already transcoding, but I don't know it yet. And, I can't check because my Asterisk's SSH server isn't available outside my home network (which I am outside of it right now).

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH
reply to acegolfer

Mobile (as moving at a rapid speed) and VoIP do not mix well on US Carriers.

I am a Verizon 4G LTE user; the current phone is a Moto Razr HD Max.

Even with 20/10 data rates, if I'm mobile in motion, voip is so broken up it is useless.

At my home, Where I have solid 4G coverage, I can use it around the house to talk to my cloud-hosted Asterisk PBX, and it works just peachy.

My favorite clients are csipsimple and 3cx.

I don't think mobile in motion is ever going to work well.

YMMV
--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

acegolfer

I consider myself half lucky.

Tmo 3g in S. Florida is just okay enough for me to use 100% VoIP with SILK codec.

OTOH, it fails miserably, if I use GrooveIP w/ ulaw.

YMMV.

jmcmillon

join:2005-01-16
Silverdale, WA

So are you using Google Voice as your servie and transcoding or are you using some other VOIP provider?

With Asterisk 11 and GV, I have to restart aserisk every few hours to get it to work. asterisk-11.3.0-rc1 fixes the restart problem but introduces an incredible amount of static (completely un-usable) with my setup.

I am thinking of setting my asterisk 11 server up to transcode silk to ulaw and use voip.ms. Don't know if it really is worth the effort since voip.ms supports g.279 natively.

The ultimate goal would be to use voip over stationary 3g (not driving or moving) and/or low quality wi-fi (think starbucks from an overseas location)

commenting

join:2013-03-19
reply to josephf

SIP TCP & TLS?

josephf

?