aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

[poll] What will happen with Win8?

Based on the usage numbers (i.e.: »www.zdnet.com/five-reasons-why-w···0012104/ ) Win8 is a colossal failure so far.

What will, if anything, MS do to remedy this?

The above choices should be pretty self explanatory. If you think I missed a likely option, post or IM, and I can append it to the end.

I'd define significant price cut at least 33% or more because 50% would look like a fire sale. Unless noted, assume that the MSRP of Win8 won't change much, if anything at all. Short term promotions and pricing errors don't count. Try to keep posts on topic.

Edit: added numbers for the poll options
--
Wacky Races 2012!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3

2 recommendations

one more choice

O MS will do exactly what they did with the colossal failure named Vista
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

2 recommendations

reply to aurgathor
Its even worse when you realize they were almost giving it away for several months.

The first thing Microsoft needs to do is oust Steve Ballmer. This company has been completely adrift since Bill Gates left.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
said by BillRoland:

Its even worse when you realize they were almost giving it away for several months.

The first thing Microsoft needs to do is oust Steve Ballmer. This company has been completely adrift since Bill Gates left.

I'm not sure Gates doesn't deserve some of the blame too. I'm not sure Microsoft ever had the ability to innovate, but whatever ability it had disappeared long before Gates left the company.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
You need to add another option along the lines of:

Microsoft Won't Do Anything

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I think the last 2 options more or less cover "won't do anything" w.r.t. Win8.

As for "oust Ballmer" -- while that's a viable (an possible!) option, that's only tangentially related to this poll.

MS released two SPs for Vista while quietly abandoning it, so as far as I concern, that's also covered.

Lastly, innovation is a bit tricky. They had some innovations that were way ahead of their time, but true enough, most of what they do now is not something they came up. In any case, innovation is not a measure of business success -- revenue, income, ROI, etc., are much better suited for that.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
My expectation is that they'll continue their path of arrogance and not do what people want but will instead do what some high paid developer tells them is best, then Microsoft will insist we do it their way because it's better.

Or in other words they'll continue to screw over their loyal fan base, the people that used Windows because they actually liked Windows.

At least Apple is loyal...

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK

4 recommendations

reply to Gem
said by Gem:

If they do anything sensible with the UI they'd be admitting that a multi-billion dollar company was outperformed by the single programmer who wrote Classic Shell.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
reply to aurgathor
My vote was 7. There are reasons for SP's that have nothing to do with how successful the OS is. A SP is a sales pitch, something to put on the side of a package to help them sell a few more units. And since all they really have to do is gather up a bunch of previous updates and then stock pile a month of new updates, its a cost effective way to drive sales. I don't think they are going to ditch Metro either just because they have put so much money into getting that into the public eye that unless they pull a "New Coke" it would be hard to change without eating some humble pie....which Microsoft does not do. They prefer Apple Pie.

With that said, what I "hope" they do is just completely separate Windows 8 from Metro. Metro is a....usable UI under the correct circumstances, on it's own, and if released to developers for free for portable devices, I think it could pull a decent amount of market share from Android and iOS. JMHO

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
I think all of this has been outlined in tech articles. Presumably,....

Windows Blue will be released in mid to quasi mid 2013.

Windows Blue will be low cost or free.

Windows Blue will maintain the Windows 8 nomenclature (like OS X)

Windows Blue will include a "UI change" (something many have been requesting but what form this change will take is unknown)

Windows Blue will have a unifying SDK with Windows Phone 8

Windows Blue will start the annual OS release cycle (again, like OS X)

I think all of the above is likely true simply because it makes sense,....IMO,....but then Microsoft doesn't always make sense,....soooo,.....

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to aurgathor
MS isn't going to give up on the APP Store. Win 8 UI maybe isn't it at this time but I am sure MS will modify it.

I would only guess that MS introduced Win 8 at a low price to get more tablets, gadgets, and desktop pc's to market and make up any loss from the app store and Xbox Live.

It will be interesting to see where this platform will go. Certainly, there seems to be a move to say "adios desktop and hello cloud".
I am not a cloud fan at all but it will be interesting.

So I voted 3.
--
Oh, praise the one who paid my debt;
And raised this life up from the dead.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to aurgathor
They won't do anything - most PC's sold come with Win 8 so they will get market penetration no matter what.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

As for "oust Ballmer" -- while that's a viable (an possible!) option, that's only tangentially related to this poll.

I would argue its the key issue behind every answer on the poll. Given that Ballmer tried to blame it all on Sinofsky, I suspect that means that if Ballmer remains, Microsoft will quietly abandon it and move on.

said by aurgathor:

In any case, innovation is not a measure of business success -- revenue, income, ROI, etc., are much better suited for that.

Absolutely agree.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

It could very well be a low cost OS with yearly subscription -- but free?!?
You gotta be kidding!!
--
Wacky Races 2012!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Optimus2357
said by Optimus2357:

A SP is a sales pitch, something to put on the side of a package to help them sell a few more units. And since all they really have to do is gather up a bunch of previous updates and then stock pile a month of new updates, its a cost effective way to drive sales.

Sometimes SPs do include new features not found in individual updates, so they could be more than just a bunch of updates rolled together.

However, given the shrinking number of SPs (NT 4=6, W2k=4, XP=3, Vista=2, Win7=1) and the possible arrival of Windows Blue in a few months, Win8 may very well end up with no SP. If MS do release a UI fix, it will be part of SP1. But I think there's a slightly less than 50% chance for an SP, and even if they release an SP, it may or may not have a UI fix.

I don't think they are going to ditch Metro either just because they have put so much money into getting that into the public eye that unless they pull a "New Coke" it would be hard to change without eating some humble pie....which Microsoft does not do. They prefer Apple Pie.

With that said, what I "hope" they do is just completely separate Windows 8 from Metro. Metro is a....usable UI under the correct circumstances, on it's own, and if released to developers for free for portable devices, I think it could pull a decent amount of market share from Android and iOS. JMHO

I agree with that. Personally, I'd prefer the OS to be totally separated from the UI, so I could use it, for example, with a W2K like UI. (I knew and used Unix before Windows -- there, I could choose from something like half a dozen shells)
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to aurgathor
You left out what I think they are going to do:

Issue Windows Blue late this summer as a free upgrade for Win 8 users.

Windows Blue probably won't have a UI "fix" as Microsoft sees no need for that and has their sights on things they consider more important. Besides, there is nothing terribly wrong with Win 8 if you install Start8. It isn't XP Pro but it is better than the ugly Win 7 that was so fat and bloated looking. Win 8 looks fast and sleek. I'd use Vista over Win 7 any day because Vista UI could be made to look exactly like XP/2000. Microsoft can't fix the font problem in Win 8 (so they say). Even if they brought back the Advanced Display Item list (fully...not all of it is gone in Win 8) it would not fix Win 8 to be GUI wise like XP. You'd still be stuck with the hard to read Segoe font for Windows that you can't change.

What I want to know is what Microsoft is doing with the OEMs regarding licensing. That is a much bigger potential problem what with forcing OEMs to burn an individual key on the motherboard in lieu of COA stickers, trying to stop OEMs from giving out Reinstallation media, etc. I think from Windows Blue on licensing wlll become full on yearly rental. Blue is the beginning and Win 8 was the lead up.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Mele20:

Besides, there is nothing terribly wrong with Win 8 if you install Start8

Well, that is terribly wrong, since most users don't know about Start8 or Classicshell.

Every time I encounter someone with a new laptop and Windows 8, I casually ask how they'd like to have the start button from Windows XP enabled...? "OH! You can do that?!" followed by, after I've installed it, "Ohhh woww, thank you so much!!"

I haven't had anyone not excited about the prospect and not provide me with immense gratitude for having done it.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

You left out what I think they are going to do:

Issue Windows Blue late this summer as a free upgrade for Win 8 users.

That is sort of covered by 6 and 7, except for the free part.

However, I don't think they'll have an unrestricted free upgrade -- perhaps free for those who bought it after, say, April 1st ( ) for full price, but most certainly not for those who paid $40 or less for Win8.

Windows Blue probably won't have a UI "fix" as Microsoft sees no need for that and has their sights on things they consider more important. Besides, there is nothing terribly wrong with Win 8 if you install Start8.

I don't have the link any more, but a wanted ad was posted here a while ago wherein MS was looking for a SDE to work on the Windows Blue UI -- so I'm fairly certain that at least on the desktop, a more traditional looking UI will be available.

Just because some people can and do install something to fix it, many others just won't buy the OS at all, and MS is not *that* stupid.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to aurgathor
The UI (aka Start Menu) doesn't need to be "fixed" by MS because there are 3rd party fixes for it. As for the tiles part of the UI, it's integrated with Windows phone, and XBox to a lesser extent, and is the major differentiator between MS and Apple/Android on the mobile side, so it's not going away either.

MS is moving away from being a desktop-centric business because that part of the market is not where the sales and profit margins will be going forward. Their OS has to move the same way.

Windows 8 is transitional release on the way to Blue or whatever its successor is named. Yearly rollouts obviate the need for an SP1 release, so I voted for 6.

BTW "abandoning" Windows 8 is somewhat misleading in that it implies that future versions will revert to being desktop centric, i.e. Start Menu back and no tiles. That ain't happening.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

However, I don't think they'll have an unrestricted free upgrade -- perhaps free for those who bought it after, say, April 1st ( ) for full price, but most certainly not for those who paid $40 or less for Win8.

Just because some people can and do install something to fix it, many others just won't buy the OS at all, and MS is not *that* stupid.

I was thinking more of those of us who purchased a NEW computer with Windows 8 because we had no other choice. (I purchased the Pro version so I have the right to downgrade to Win 7 Pro and I badgered Dell, and threatened to return the new computer, until Dell sent me USB stick media for Windows 7 Pro and reinstallation of Win 8 Pro). I think Microsoft will make Windows Blue free to purchasers of new machines that came with Win 8. (Of course, I have no idea how this will affect those of us with OEM Win 8 on new machines who chose to install Media Center free of charge and ended up with a "new" OS).

I think the name "Windows Blue" is terrible. It screams DEPRESSION, LOW, BAD MOOD. It signals that Microsoft is more out of touch with its users than anyone would have thought.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by Octavean:

It could very well be a low cost OS with yearly subscription -- but free?!?
You gotta be kidding!!

I'm merely citing what I have read in articles on the subject of Windows Blue. Three or four such articles, although, they may be using the same source. So no, I'm not kidding as they are not truly my ideas, I am simply paraphrasing.

In terms of whether the idea of low cost or free makes sense I'd say it depends on the a set of conditions.

For example, if Windows Blue is indeed something Microsoft wants all Windows users on but is only available to Windows 8 users (for free) as an upgrade then earlier Windows users would first have to upgrade to Windows 8 before they could take advantage of the free upgrade (Windows Blue).

Or some variation therein,...

It's called leverage,....

Anyway, as I stated it wasn't my idea or assertion but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. Doing so IMO would lack imagination in the face of no definite answers.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to aurgathor
Microsoft will restore ALT+ENTER to its tifkam apps thereby converting the OS from Fullscreen 8, back to Windows 8

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I think the name "Windows Blue" is terrible. It screams DEPRESSION, LOW, BAD MOOD. It signals that Microsoft is more out of touch with its users than anyone would have thought.

Yes, that is a rather questionable choice, especially that at least one of their color coded project (Pink) was a failure comparable to Bob.

As for the free upgrade -- that's normally tied to a certain date, and I don't expect any difference in this case.

Lastly, about "abandon" being possibly misleading -- what I mean is that they won't do much (if any) new marketing and adding new features, instead they'll focus on the next release. Of course that will have no effect on security fixes.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

reply to aurgathor
I chose #7.

I don't really care what they do as I love Windows 7 and will be sticking with that for as long as possible. Windows 7 is a great OS, probably the best I've used.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to aurgathor
Microsoft's already doing whatever it is going to do, and has been working on that for several months before win8 even hit the stores. It's not like they release a product and then idle 30,000 engineers waiting to see what zdnet thinks before they decide what to do next.

There was already ample leaks that the concept of service packs is dead.

There are ample leaks that the modern ui is the future, and the start button menu is gone forever.

The widely discussed roadmap talks about windows blue as the next thing after 8. There still isn't much clarity on what that means outside of variations of what Mary Jo Foley blogs.

As for pricing, about the only thing I wouldn't be shocked to see is the subscription model coming to the OS, as it already has for Office.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

From what I recall hearing, "Windows Blue" is more or less an internal code name not a retail name of the product. If so the average user will likely never hear or know of the name Windows Blue.

My understanding is the name will remain under the umbrella term / name "Windows 8" or some variation therein.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
reply to aurgathor
I don't think anything will change for a while yet... MS will continue doing what they've been doing. But I don't think Win 8 will have a very long life...

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to Soho97UK
said by Soho97UK:

said by Gem:

If they do anything sensible with the UI they'd be admitting that a multi-billion dollar company was outperformed by the single programmer who wrote Classic Shell.

I would not even be using Win7 if not for classic shell. I love the customization options with the old W2K style menu look with the aero effect added.

I'll never use Win8 other than for testing, unless major changes are made.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor
I keep wondering why people get in such a tizzy over OS changes? Seems most people would still be happy on Windows 3.1. Let's not ever try anything new, some people like what we have to offer, so let's never ever change it again - that is the way we'll make money.

Sure, there are always a few new things to get used to in every OS change - but most people, after not too long, forget even how it used to be done - it doesn't really matter that much.

There are those few things that leave you scratching your head - like why does it take twice as many moves to shutdown your PC than it used to, or why is there no persistent Battery life indicator in Metro mode. Those things happen in every product in the market - the designers are always trying something new - some things work, some don't. Most of them are not show stoppers though - pretty rare for that to happen.

All that said- chill out. If you don't like the latest release, you don't have to use it. Stick with your old tried and true Windows 98, or better yet, SysV.
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to OverBurn
said by OverBurn:

said by Soho97UK:

said by Gem:

I would not even be using Win7 if not for classic shell. I love the customization options with the old W2K style menu look with the aero effect added.

I'll never use Win8 other than for testing, unless major changes are made.

Yes, if I were to downgrade to Win 7, I would have to use Classic Shell. I used it when it was brand new on Win 7 public beta. Even then Win 7 is so UGLY...all the fat, 3D stuff..it looks like a lumbering OX. Classic Shell got it sort of back to XP/W2000 sleek look. I HATED Win 7 when I got the public beta...until Classic Shell was written and that was a life saver. I have never understood the admiration many have for Win 7. Win 8 desktop is MUCH better looking than Win 7 without Classic Shell. I already had transparency with XP so that was nothing new. I''d like it for Win 8 but it is a video card thing and nVidia dropped all goodies from their cards because they said no one used them! I guess that is why so many thought Win 7 Aero was something "new".
--