join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to aurgathor

Re: [poll] What will happen with Win8?

said by aurgathor:

said by Octavean:

Windows Blue will be low cost or free.

It could very well be a low cost OS with yearly subscription -- but free?!?
You gotta be kidding!!

I'm merely citing what I have read in articles on the subject of Windows Blue. Three or four such articles, although, they may be using the same source. So no, I'm not kidding as they are not truly my ideas, I am simply paraphrasing.

In terms of whether the idea of low cost or free makes sense I'd say it depends on the a set of conditions.

For example, if Windows Blue is indeed something Microsoft wants all Windows users on but is only available to Windows 8 users (for free) as an upgrade then earlier Windows users would first have to upgrade to Windows 8 before they could take advantage of the free upgrade (Windows Blue).

Or some variation therein,...

It's called leverage,....

Anyway, as I stated it wasn't my idea or assertion but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. Doing so IMO would lack imagination in the face of no definite answers.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to aurgathor

Microsoft will restore ALT+ENTER to its tifkam apps thereby converting the OS from Fullscreen 8, back to Windows 8

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I think the name "Windows Blue" is terrible. It screams DEPRESSION, LOW, BAD MOOD. It signals that Microsoft is more out of touch with its users than anyone would have thought.

Yes, that is a rather questionable choice, especially that at least one of their color coded project (Pink) was a failure comparable to Bob.

As for the free upgrade -- that's normally tied to a certain date, and I don't expect any difference in this case.

Lastly, about "abandon" being possibly misleading -- what I mean is that they won't do much (if any) new marketing and adding new features, instead they'll focus on the next release. Of course that will have no effect on security fixes.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to aurgathor

I chose #7.

I don't really care what they do as I love Windows 7 and will be sticking with that for as long as possible. Windows 7 is a great OS, probably the best I've used.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to aurgathor

Microsoft's already doing whatever it is going to do, and has been working on that for several months before win8 even hit the stores. It's not like they release a product and then idle 30,000 engineers waiting to see what zdnet thinks before they decide what to do next.

There was already ample leaks that the concept of service packs is dead.

There are ample leaks that the modern ui is the future, and the start button menu is gone forever.

The widely discussed roadmap talks about windows blue as the next thing after 8. There still isn't much clarity on what that means outside of variations of what Mary Jo Foley blogs.

As for pricing, about the only thing I wouldn't be shocked to see is the subscription model coming to the OS, as it already has for Office.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I think the name "Windows Blue" is terrible. It screams DEPRESSION, LOW, BAD MOOD. It signals that Microsoft is more out of touch with its users than anyone would have thought.

From what I recall hearing, "Windows Blue" is more or less an internal code name not a retail name of the product. If so the average user will likely never hear or know of the name Windows Blue.

My understanding is the name will remain under the umbrella term / name "Windows 8" or some variation therein.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
reply to aurgathor

I don't think anything will change for a while yet... MS will continue doing what they've been doing. But I don't think Win 8 will have a very long life...

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to Soho97UK

said by Soho97UK:

said by Gem:

Microsoft Won't Do Anything

If they do anything sensible with the UI they'd be admitting that a multi-billion dollar company was outperformed by the single programmer who wrote Classic Shell.

I would not even be using Win7 if not for classic shell. I love the customization options with the old W2K style menu look with the aero effect added.

I'll never use Win8 other than for testing, unless major changes are made.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor

I keep wondering why people get in such a tizzy over OS changes? Seems most people would still be happy on Windows 3.1. Let's not ever try anything new, some people like what we have to offer, so let's never ever change it again - that is the way we'll make money.

Sure, there are always a few new things to get used to in every OS change - but most people, after not too long, forget even how it used to be done - it doesn't really matter that much.

There are those few things that leave you scratching your head - like why does it take twice as many moves to shutdown your PC than it used to, or why is there no persistent Battery life indicator in Metro mode. Those things happen in every product in the market - the designers are always trying something new - some things work, some don't. Most of them are not show stoppers though - pretty rare for that to happen.

All that said- chill out. If you don't like the latest release, you don't have to use it. Stick with your old tried and true Windows 98, or better yet, SysV.
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to OverBurn

said by OverBurn:

said by Soho97UK:

said by Gem:

Microsoft Won't Do Anything

If they do anything sensible with the UI they'd be admitting that a multi-billion dollar company was outperformed by the single programmer who wrote Classic Shell.

I would not even be using Win7 if not for classic shell. I love the customization options with the old W2K style menu look with the aero effect added.

I'll never use Win8 other than for testing, unless major changes are made.

Yes, if I were to downgrade to Win 7, I would have to use Classic Shell. I used it when it was brand new on Win 7 public beta. Even then Win 7 is so UGLY...all the fat, 3D stuff..it looks like a lumbering OX. Classic Shell got it sort of back to XP/W2000 sleek look. I HATED Win 7 when I got the public beta...until Classic Shell was written and that was a life saver. I have never understood the admiration many have for Win 7. Win 8 desktop is MUCH better looking than Win 7 without Classic Shell. I already had transparency with XP so that was nothing new. I''d like it for Win 8 but it is a video card thing and nVidia dropped all goodies from their cards because they said no one used them! I guess that is why so many thought Win 7 Aero was something "new".
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

What will, if anything, MS do to remedy this?

They can do one thing that would fix the entire problem. They could have the option to boot into "casual" mode and another for "enterprise/business" mode. The first would be Windows 8 as it is now. The other would disable all that touch screen bloated metro crap and give the power, or business users back the look and feel of 7, including the start menu.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

I agree, they either have to do something or have the next OS be completely different because I highly doubt Businesses will ever adopt Windows 8 in a Office environment. And Businesses are probably the ones the purchases the most amount of licenses as compared to users who mostly get it OEM.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to aurgathor

While this thread is about Windows 8, and that does play a very important role on the business side of things, I think what is more important from a business perspective is the Sever OS.

Why would anyone who is running a sever want that kind of interface? Look at Server 2012. It has the exact same UI as Windows 8!

Those of us that hate it for day to day tasks on a non-touch desktop or laptop must really be going nuts trying to use that on a non-touch interface to manage your Mail Server, DC, SQL Server, or File Server.

THAT is what Microsoft needs to really fix for the business side of things. While I can see some businesses being OK to move to Windows 8 as it is now, I cannot see any business being happy about Server 2012.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by plencnerb:

Those of us that hate it for day to day tasks on a non-touch desktop or laptop must really be going nuts trying to use that on a non-touch interface to manage your Mail Server, DC, SQL Server, or File Server.

Why would you not use the desktop on Server 2012? I do. No nuts needed.
--

NotHereNow

@verizon.net
reply to Octavean

Must be an inside joke on their part--for Windows BSoD. That's pretty much what I think of when I see the term "Windows Blue".

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

As for the free upgrade -- that's normally tied to a certain date, and I don't expect any difference in this case.

I know of what you speak,..

However, there was at least one upgrade to Windows XP Media Center Edition that elevated it to the next available version via nothing more then a free Service Pack.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to NotHereNow

said by NotHereNow :

Must be an inside joke on their part--for Windows BSoD. That's pretty much what I think of when I see the term "Windows Blue".

I haven't seen one of those since XP.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Mele20

Turn off the Aero stuff in Win 7 then for gods sake - yes - it is that easy. The Start button in Win 7 is finally a functional button. When compared to XP - the Win 7 Start button is a correct and fully functional Start button.

I personally hate the Win 8 screen - I would have to use Classic Shell and if I would have to do that to get a good OS - then I don't see why I would even want it.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to aurgathor

Sorry I did not vote as you left one option out and that is to do absolutely nothing. No price cut as Win 8 is already cheap from PC makers, included as you need some type of OS on a new PC, and No UI changes.

Read an article on it this morning and the last line kind of summed it up. Pride is the start of the FALL. Or something to that affect.

MS is becoming more like Apple everyday. In that IMHO Apple thinks IT Knows Best for every Mac or other Apple device users and if you don't like the way Apple has decided to implement things that is just To Bad, Get Over it. We Aren't Going To Change it.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to aurgathor

Within the next year I will buy one, possibly two new desktops. I will accept whatever OS MS is offering at that time. I will do what is needed in order to make them function like my current XP/Vista boxes and if the OS does not offer that option then I will seek out a 3rd party option to make it happen. Aside from that, I can deal with whatever comes. It's useless to go on about personal likes/dislikes because MS is going to do whatever it damn well pleases. It's just a computer...use it...or don't.

Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to CylonRed

Re: [poll] What will happen with Win8?

Turn off Aero? That has NOTHING to do with the ugliness of Win 7 GUI. Win 8 DESKTOP GUI (not Metro) is great. It is sleek and fast looking. Very nice. Win 7 GUI with or without Aero (I had Win 7 beta on a virtual machine so no Aero) is awful...fat and bloated looking..rounded, swelled up bloated looking corners. I believe Microsoft said it was that way so it looked "3D". It just looked fat, slow and bloated to me. Win 8 has square corners just like XP and earlier.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

Win7 "looks slow"? (That's about the strangest thing I've ever heard said about an OS.) XP has rounded corners BTW (at the top--very visible).

Win8 is Microsoft's worst brain fart since WinMe. (Vista barely registered on the M$ Phart-o-meter.) I mean, if you want to put the Windows Phone OS UI on a tablet, then go right ahead; that even makes some sense. But on a desktop? ...that's just the dumbest thing that they could do.

Bob. Clippy. The Ribbon. And now... Win8. For every NT, XP, and Win7 that M$ comes out with, there's an equal & opposite utter failure. Well, maybe this failure will be yet another learning experience.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by NotTheMama:

Win8 is Microsoft's worst brain fart since WinMe.

No, sorry, but WinME was not nearly that bad.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 RC2; firefox 19.0

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Yes, if I were to downgrade to Win 7, I would have to use Classic Shell. I used it when it was brand new on Win 7 public beta. Even then Win 7 is so UGLY...all the fat, 3D stuff..it looks like a lumbering OX. Classic Shell got it sort of back to XP/W2000 sleek look. I HATED Win 7 when I got the public beta...until Classic Shell was written and that was a life saver. I have never understood the admiration many have for Win 7. Win 8 desktop is MUCH better looking than Win 7 without Classic Shell. I already had transparency with XP so that was nothing new. I''d like it for Win 8 but it is a video card thing and nVidia dropped all goodies from their cards because they said no one used them! I guess that is why so many thought Win 7 Aero was something "new".

I don't get this post at all, I feel just the opposite, Win7 with Aero looks great. Win8 is horrible looking, on top of the diminished function.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to Shootist

said by Shootist:

Sorry I did not vote as you left one option out and that is to do absolutely nothing.

That is #6, even if worded differently
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA

said by aurgathor:

said by Shootist:

Sorry I did not vote as you left one option out and that is to do absolutely nothing.

That is #6, even if worded differently

I'll have another look. Thanks for the heads up.
--

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
reply to aurgathor

Well Abandon it no and they may come out with a SP1 for it. Even if it is the lowest Windows version ever sold, which I hope it is (and me being a Stock holder), there will still be millions of copies sold as upgrades and included with new computers. So MS will still need to secure it and update it for many years to come.
--

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·GoDaddy Hosting
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

There are ample leaks that the modern ui is the future, and the start button menu is gone forever.

I would say the exact opposite. Microsoft has no choice in my opinion. According to a very recent article on the usually reliable Russian site SecurityLab the change is coming by the middle of the year. »www.securitylab.ru/news/438306.php Translation necessary if you don't read Russian. Their information was reported to have come directly from a member of the development team.
»itnews2day.wordpress.com/2013/03···ndows-8/
»windows9info.com/windows-blue/it···ows-blue

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Hmmm, according to the article I just read, Windows Blue will be a free service pack to Windows 8....

quote:
Windows Blue will be released as a service pack Service Pack and will be distributed free of charge, according to sources. However, according to some analysts, with the release of the Microsoft may move to a new payment model of the operating system – to be paid by subscription, as in the case of Office 365.
Which not only answers my poll, but also makes it kind of non-sensical.

In any case, we should know the answer probably within 6 mos. I think Win7 also started out as an SP (or more precisely, Vista R2) and then turned into a separate OS, so my bet is still on #6.

--
Wacky Races 2012!