uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[optical] Do you think the OD is going out?

My sister's HP that is Vista based, one she inherited from my departed dad, is having trouble reading optical disks (CDs?) from the pharmacy photo lab. The disks load slowly (it's only some of them), and on my new laptop the same disks read just fine.

I suspect her CD LASER is decaying, or alignment has shifted, or in some other way the drive is going out.

Do you agree with that possiblity?

Also, on these factory systems (sorry, I don't have the model number ATM), can I use an off the shelf drive? I haven't opened it lately to check if it is IDE or SATA, but I know to check that...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
Suggestions:

If they can find a cleaning kit for the CD drive, give it a try and see if that helps. The lens over the laser could just be dirty.

If that doesn't help, or if they just want to move on to a newer CD drive, I'd suggest getting an USB connected (portable) CD/DVD drive instead of direct replacement of the existing unit.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to signmeuptoo
Has the system been cleaned lately. It may just be some lint in the drive causing the issue. Makes no difference how clean ones house is dust and lint collect in electronics.

Yes, you can replace the drive with a standard off the shelf unit. They are fairly in expensive these days.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to signmeuptoo
Yes you can use an off the self CD/DVD drive as long as it is the same type, notebook style or desktop style, size, and the same type of connections, SATA or IDE.

Note IDE drives in any form are getting nearly impossible to find but then the system would need to be many years old to only have IDE drive interfaces.

Even with a notebook any notebook size drive will work if it fit in the system. Some drive are made taller, thicker, then others. but if you get the right size, in thickness, it will fit and work but the bezel may not match the case of the notebook.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
It isn't a notebook, but a desktop.

James_C

join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY
OK but it would've been easier if you had mentioned the model # up front.

Yes if it is a standard 5.25", full height optical drive (some OEMs now shoehorn a laptop drive into their desktop systems) then any standard drive should work, providing as you already mentioned that it's the right interface, SATA vs IDE.

Also even if it is IDE, if you have a free SATA port I'd go with SATA, with the one exception that on some motherboard chipsets (their bios) if the SATA is set to a RAID mode then the ports assigned to that won't work with optical drives. Since I suspect a standard OEM configuration of the system, this isn't likely.

USB external drives can be very handy, but since you probably don't even have the extra bay plate to cover the bay if you removed the bad drive, and otherwise you'd be leaving a bad drive in, I'd go ahead and get an internal drive then consider also getting an external when the need arises. For one thing the quality to cost ratio is higher on internal drives, something decent can be had for under $20 delivered for a DVDRW.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Thanks folks. The person this system is for can be a bit of a PITA, she constantly rails against technology, yet uses it (texts, web, buying young grandson laptop...) And even though she HAS money, would rather I spend my own money sometimes to fix her issues. There's more to it than that, but suffice it to say, she always expects me to bail her out from problems, but gives me a difficult time, even to the point of almost questioning my manhood when I can't figure out why something doesn't work right away. I love her dearly, and generally she is very good to me, but working on tech stuff is a bit of a challenge, heh.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

lhamp
Premium
join:2000-02-20
Stone Mountain, GA
Don't want to butt in on a PITA, but I will. Sometimes a CD/DVD drive do crap out before their expected lifespan.
My suggestion? Buy an external USB CD/DVD. They're not much more than an internal one. On the plus side. If the internal drive is not dying but close, PITA has a backup.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
They always claim that don't like computers and hate the internet and high technology, but they still do all of it, like texting. And I get a ton of grief, heh.