All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

gatownsend
join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH

gatownsend

Re: Ultra TV/Sling Box ???

Ok...opened another port and got it working over 4g. The instructions say if your router has UPnP their software can configure it, but it was not successful after a couple attempts. For manually configuring the ports, the instructions said to "Open port 56123 for both UDP and TCP traffic, then open port 49177 to TCP traffic;..." I did that but wasn't connecting using 4G. I added 49177 UDP just for the heck of it, and it's now working over 4G. I may still have a problem, as I am using DHCP to get an ip address on the @TV, so if that changes the port forwarding will be broken. I am going to go ahead and configure it for static later just to be safe and re-do the port forwarding to the static ip.

Just to warn everyone, there is only what I would call a "quick start guide" included in the box, and the full manual from Belkin's website is pretty lacking. I read a fair number of reviews at Amazon before taking the plunge, and I'm convinced that helped me get it up and running more easily.

Take care,

Gary
gatownsend

gatownsend

One more update - just in case it helps anyone that might pick up one of these. I went ahead and gave it a static IP this morning and then fixed the port forwarding on the UltraTV box to point to the new IP. UltraTV seems rather particular about something when setting up the port forwarding. I had to do it two or three times before it "stuck". I would enter the ports and it would say it was updating and then nothing would be there. I'm not sure if it was because the new IP hadn't taken for the @TV, or what, but eventually it stuck.

Also, I figured out one reason why the auto configure didn't work for the port forwarding. I have my old Netgear wireless router (WNDR3700) set up as a switch in my office and to provide wifi to the upstairs (Gateway is in the basement and doesn't make it to the second floor for wireless). That router had UPnP turned on and so did the UltraTV gateway. The software configured the Netgear and not the UltraTV gateway. I disabled UPnP in the Netgear and tried to let the software autoconfigure the gateway, but it still didn't succeed. I did the port forwarding manually, and once it stuck everything worked like a charm. Since I know a number of folks are using old routers to boost their wireless coverage I wanted to post about disabling the UPnP on the router.

Take care,

Gary