join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

How Facebook could get you arrested

from
»www.guardian.co.uk/techn ··· -extract
"..
The promise of predictive policing might be real, but so are its dangers. The solutionist impulse needs to be restrained. Police need to subject their algorithms to external scrutiny and address their biases. Social networking sites need to establish clear standards for how much predictive self-policing they'll actually do and how far they will go in profiling their users and sharing this data with police.
.."

good article on just some technologies available

Cudni

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

The Pre-Crimes division has arrived...

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to Cudni

Premium Member

to Cudni
I have a relative who regularly posts his meltdowns and threatens war to anyone who may have crossed him past or present. I warned him 2 weeks ago. 4 cruisers pulled into his parent's yard where he also lives to "check on his well being"
today.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

3 recommendations

OZO to Cudni

Premium Member

to Cudni
I think it's a natural course of the evolution. Dumb and those who trash their own privacy should be removed from the mankind with help of Facebook-like services... Yeah, go policing them all and make their disappearance faster

red2
@fastwebnet.it

red2

Anon

Sure, but is this really a new concept? It's called profiling and has been done and then its use "abandoned" or restricted as groups complained that it violated their civil liberties.

You can make statistical outcomes of probability of anything. Don't buy a car manufactured on certain days when the workforce tends to be less attentive and so more "lemons" are produced. The police used to routinely stop the cars of black motorists at night assuming that they were out for no good reason. Amazon can tell you that if you bought cd X, it's likely you'll like these cds too, since others who bought cd X did. We know that serial killers like to read Catcher in the Rye.

Before computers, processing this kind of data would have taken more time. But the principle hasn't changed much. So when everything gets reduced to algorithms, the race will be on to find apps that can confuse the algorithms by creating misleading data points.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Cudni

Premium Member

to Cudni
So... if I'm a criminal and don't use or follow social networking sites, I may be able to fly under such crime-blocking "radar" with impunity? Cool!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

So... if I'm a criminal and don't use or follow social networking sites, I may be able to fly under such crime-blocking "radar" with impunity? Cool!

Yet another tip-off.

JustBurnt
@rr.com

JustBurnt to Cudni

Anon

to Cudni
It seems criminals can't help themselves and have the need to brag about their exploits on-line, some even make movies.

As far as releasing information to authorities, the management of websites have no control once a warrant is served, it is also the law if they have reasonable belief a crime is going to take place, they must notify authorities, what "reasonable belief" means in this context is what we need to question.