Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor

Re: [poll] What will happen with Win8?

My vote was 7. There are reasons for SP's that have nothing to do with how successful the OS is. A SP is a sales pitch, something to put on the side of a package to help them sell a few more units. And since all they really have to do is gather up a bunch of previous updates and then stock pile a month of new updates, its a cost effective way to drive sales. I don't think they are going to ditch Metro either just because they have put so much money into getting that into the public eye that unless they pull a "New Coke" it would be hard to change without eating some humble pie....which Microsoft does not do. They prefer Apple Pie.

With that said, what I "hope" they do is just completely separate Windows 8 from Metro. Metro is a....usable UI under the correct circumstances, on it's own, and if released to developers for free for portable devices, I think it could pull a decent amount of market share from Android and iOS. JMHO

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by Optimus2357:

A SP is a sales pitch, something to put on the side of a package to help them sell a few more units. And since all they really have to do is gather up a bunch of previous updates and then stock pile a month of new updates, its a cost effective way to drive sales.

Sometimes SPs do include new features not found in individual updates, so they could be more than just a bunch of updates rolled together.

However, given the shrinking number of SPs (NT 4=6, W2k=4, XP=3, Vista=2, Win7=1) and the possible arrival of Windows Blue in a few months, Win8 may very well end up with no SP. If MS do release a UI fix, it will be part of SP1. But I think there's a slightly less than 50% chance for an SP, and even if they release an SP, it may or may not have a UI fix.

I don't think they are going to ditch Metro either just because they have put so much money into getting that into the public eye that unless they pull a "New Coke" it would be hard to change without eating some humble pie....which Microsoft does not do. They prefer Apple Pie.

With that said, what I "hope" they do is just completely separate Windows 8 from Metro. Metro is a....usable UI under the correct circumstances, on it's own, and if released to developers for free for portable devices, I think it could pull a decent amount of market share from Android and iOS. JMHO

I agree with that. Personally, I'd prefer the OS to be totally separated from the UI, so I could use it, for example, with a W2K like UI. (I knew and used Unix before Windows -- there, I could choose from something like half a dozen shells)