spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bricvic

join:2013-02-26
Ventnor City, NJ

[speed/latency] Is 3Mbps the best I can do?

Hi,
I currently have “High Speed Internet Enhanced DSL” which I believe can be anywhere between 1.1 and 15 Mbps. I top out at just below 3Mbps. I was told by a CS rep that anything above 3Mbps was not available at my location. I’ve posted my line stats below and I was wondering if they look like they can handle more. Also, are there other factors that would keep my speed down or is Verizon just not offering it to me due to business reasons?

Broadband Parameter Status
VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 864 Kbps
Retrains: 0
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 22H:58M:15S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 0
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 9
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 26 dB
SNR Upstream : 10 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 19 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 10 dB
Power Downstream 8.8 dBm
Power Upstream 11.9 dBm

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Your sync rate 3360/864 indicates you have to 3000/768 plan.

Your margin is very good at 26dB and attenuation is only 19db indicating you circuit is only about 5,000 feet. As such you should qualify for higher speed plan.

Verizon may not be offering higher speed due to network limitations unrelated to your physical circuit. For example you may be served by a remote terminal with only limited back-haul capacity.

/tom

bricvic

Ventnor City, NJ

Yeah, not that I really know what I’m looking at, but just from reading other threads around the forum for a couple of days, I didn’t think my stats were that bad. Maybe, as you suggest, there is some other network limitation keeping the speed down. Thanks

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9

You can try posting in the Verizon Direct forum to see if there is anything that can be done.

»Verizon Direct

/tom

bricvic

Ventnor City, NJ

Thanks Tom, I’ll do that. Funny thing is, for what I pay for the phone line and DSL, I can switch to cable and literally triple my internet speed and get TV too for about $25-$35 more per month. The only reason I haven’t is that I really loath Comcast and have gone to great lengths to avoid them. I put up an antenna for local OTA channels, and everything else, I stream on the internet. But 3Mbps just isn’t cutting it anymore, especially for streaming. Anyway, Thanks again.

LoopTooLong

join:2006-02-16
reply to bricvic

If you feed from a remote terminal (CEV) you are limited to 3 meg (I don't know why they do that.) If you are in a rural area and your readings say your loop is 5000ft it is likely from a CEV

rollinraver

join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

said by LoopTooLong:

If you feed from a remote terminal (CEV) you are limited to 3 meg (I don't know why they do that.)

It's because the older SLC5 or SLC96 systems are fed by a limited pipe back to the CO. To give everyone 7 or 15 meg speeds out of a terminal with only a DS3 connection, for example, would be an unhappy experience for all involved.

vandergraff2

join:2005-10-17
Los Gatos, CA
reply to bricvic

said by bricvic:

Thanks Tom, I’ll do that. Funny thing is, for what I pay for the phone line and DSL, I can switch to cable and literally triple my internet speed and get TV too for about $25-$35 more per month. The only reason I haven’t is that I really loath Comcast and have gone to great lengths to avoid them. I put up an antenna for local OTA channels, and everything else, I stream on the internet. But 3Mbps just isn’t cutting it anymore, especially for streaming. Anyway, Thanks again.

Do it. I got fed up with Verizon DSL last summer when they 'optimized' my speeds down from ~6 Mpbs to 4.5 Mbps. Like you we really didn't want to use Comcast - but our neighbors said they were happy with the service.

So with trepidation we switched and frankly couldn't be happier. Solid 16 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up and by using Ooma for phone saving $40+ a month.

We were particularly impressed with the install where the Comcast technician spent ~3 hours running a cable from across the street and then very neatly and professionally through crawl spaces etc to the other side of the house for a total install cost of $25.

My son also got Comcast service about the same time in rental property with existing cabling. We tried to start service on a Saturday but had some problems. Comcast sent a technician out on the Sunday and he spent a couple of hours re-running cables inside and outside the house and then making adjustments at the street.

So we are very happy. Comcast is significantly faster, much more reliable (no down times or speed reductions) and significantly cheaper. Both my son and I are in very rural locations.

Verizon has no interest in keeping their old DSL customers.