uniqs
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

[HSI] Download pulsates ???

When d/l I have always noticed with Charter that the d/l rate pulsates instead a more or less steady rate. It'll go from 50M+ to below 1M. I dought anything can be done to eliminate it, but was just wondering. I have a Zyxel 20xx router and have the same results with the f/w on or off. When I had DSL(AT&T) it was more or less constant.
njt462
join:2006-11-28
Troy, MO

njt462

Are you on the 100 or 30meg package?

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit to kherr

to kherr
How old is your router?

This is totally irrelevant, but my friend in Wisconsin has a ZyXel router that she's having problems with on another ISP [she works for]. She's decided to update her router having found no other reason for her problems. Sorry I don't know the model.

ghstofdefnt
@charter.com

ghstofdefnt to kherr

Anon

to kherr
Probably wouldn't hurt to post the make/model of modem and your signal levels.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to msmisfit

Premium Member

to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

How old is your router?

This is totally irrelevant, but my friend in Wisconsin has a ZyXel router that she's having problems with on another ISP [she works for]. She's decided to update her router having found no other reason for her problems. Sorry I don't know the model.

Another question might be how old is the computer? Sounds exactly like the the 2 REAL old ones I have upstairs. Both are running Windows 7, but were originally XP machines.

Neither do that pulsating thing real bad when using IE, but when using any other browser, it's real bad. I've even tried new network cards, but no difference. My router and switches are all modern enough to handle the 30/4 plan I'm on.

Been going to post just about this same exact question because of those 2 machines for quite some time.

I decided to try dual booting one computer and installed that bloatware Ubuntu. Amazingly, that computer runs MUCH sweeter using it! Still pulsates some, but not nearly as bad. My speed doesn't fluctuate like yours but any progress bar or anything similar on a speed test, is still a little herky jerky.
tomc9
join:2013-02-10
Saint Johnsbury, VT

tomc9 to kherr

to kherr
I just joined Charter HSI .. the first day conencted, i was speed testing at 10-25MBS.. Since then , it runs form 0.5 - 3MBPS usually less than 1.5, no better than my old DSL.
I do notice that my speedtest results are slower on Windows 7 Home prem laptop than smartfone.. but whe speed testing thru smartphone , I see the pulating issue here from 0.5 to 3Mbps. Speed is inconsistent and no where near the numbers the sales rep talked about when signing me up.. New ARRIS modem with Netgear router WNR3500 latest flash.
sorry I cant help, i have the same problem

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

After reading this review [link below] on the Netgear 3500, I think it might be the source of your problem. After upgrading to a 3.0 modem I wasn't getting the speeds advertised on my faithful Linksys router, so I updated to a Netgear 3800 and my connection has been solid ever since. Just a thought...

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 2,00.asp
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

New router ZyXel 20USG. Bought for the better throughput of new connection. Happens with F/W on or off.

30M Package

All computers :Year old i7XX Windows 7 Pro 64bit, fresh reinstall do to tech difficulties recently
6yr old XP Pro
2 yr old Asus?? Win 7 Laptop

Measurement method: Counter displayed on Internet Download Manager, widget for Win 7 that measures all traffic on TCIP port
Speed-o-meter for XP, also measures all traffic on TCIP port

Without IDM best typical speed on download would be in in the 10M range. With it'll hit max available till segments of file get to the end. Here a slowdown is expected.

Pulsating also happens when backing up comp. with True Image. May be because of compressing individual files.

Charter (sub contractor really) was here in the last few months working on installing a couple of Tivos. He took a meter reading of signals and replaced drop, installed an amp for the 8 way splitter, tweaked signal levels to modem to spec, and cleaned up wiring left by previous techs. It made no difference as far as the pulsating but ended up giving me a little better pings. He was muttering all the while not believing that previous techs would make such a mess and not use a meter to see signal strength. Evidently Tivos are vary touchy when it comes to signal strength.