share rss forum feed

dmxrob6
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

2 Years to Fix

Just thought I'd share with you my nightmare with AT&T that finally resolved itself after almost 2 years.

In the Spring of 2011 our DSL that we had for 7 years with AT&T started acting up. Frequent disconnects, slow speeds, etc. AT&T decided that the problem must be we were on the "old" DSL and would switch us over to U-Verse IPDSL and all would be well. The same problems, and none of our neighbors experienced it either.

Over 17 technician visits later, office of the President getting involved, and countless other phone calls with support and whoever else would listen the problem finally got resolved.

A technician this week, a new guy that has never been here before, but who was a true tech veteran, did what countless other techs swore up and down they did -- switched us over to a new pair. The problem immediately went away. Solid as a rock -- speeds that are exactly what we would expect for 12mbps.

He took the time to do it right -- checked pair after pair until he found a good one. Checked at the pedestal, the NID, at the cross-box. He was determined to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, in two years time AT&T has installed 2 new buried underground shielded drops, replaced the modem countless times, replaced the NID, re-did practically all the inside wiring and "cut the port" at least twice.

We were told that they had switched us to a new pair at least twice -- which obviously they didn't.

Kudos to this tech for finally doing what 17 other tech visits never did.

mmisek

join:2013-03-03
Cleburne, TX

Wow...that's ridiculous.

It cost AT&T approximately $3000 dollars for those 17 truck rolls, not to mention the work performed...

midwest pt

@rr.com
reply to dmxrob6

Congrats on sticking with it and getting it resolved. In your area there are two types of techs
1) uverse premise tech that can swap the port, bounce the port (either of these could be what you refer to as cut the port) although they are totally different, run a new drop (2 to 6 pair) drop to the house, moving from one pair to the other pairs in your buried cable from term to house, replace or update NID, replace RG, replace inside wiring all these all things the uverse Prem tech is responsible for.
2) The outside linemen tech is who solved your problem, you probably have an old lead cable and he spend the time to try to find a good pair out of many bad pairs (old plant), the uverse techs dispatched many times could never do this they can only hope to run some line test (many probably did not) and have it fail in order to contact someone who has to approve a ticket creation for the outside lineman to get involved (as this person is way to expensive for a simple uverse tech to authorize his being sent).
Still glad it is resolved and hope you are very satisfied with your service.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to dmxrob6

said by dmxrob6:

We were told that they had switched us to a new pair at least twice -- which obviously they didn't.

Very likely they did switch to another pair. Alas the new pair was as bad as the old one, as is the case with the decrepit ATT infrastructure. Crumbling cables do not have any good pairs left.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to dmxrob6

It took two pair swaps, persistent pestering, and 3 months time to get AT&T to get our Uverse DSL to the point where I didn't want to chuck the RG off a high rise building. Now that it's been a year with good quality service we're moving on to cable and getting 50/10 internet, for the same price were paying now without any promo prices.

In that time did you ever email Uversecare? That's what really got the ball rolling for me. They hung in there and helped me even despite tests from there end showing good stats even though there were some irritating issues.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

2 edits
reply to dmxrob6

That's nothing. I have Uverse stories that will make your ears bleed.

Happy you got your issue resolved.

Your problem largely stems from the fact that field techs get a laughable amount of time to fix your problem. And to add insult to injury, Att added yet another department with the sole purpose of denying I&R assitance ( line men ) to prem techs.

So the end result is field techs have a whole host of "tricks" we can use to get a passing QC check and get the F out of there. Its all about that efficiency rating.

dmxrob6
Premium
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to GusHerb94

Oh I emailed Uversecare, posted in direct forum, and like I said even the Office of the President was involved. I did leave out a big piece of the story...

The tech mgr repeatedly lied to the Office of the President, and when I filed a formal complaint about our voice service (it also was filled with static) to our PUC here in Missouri he submitted false statements. I requested a hearing and pointed out to the PUC the false statements, and of course the bastard never showed. The PUC sided with me in my case, that is how the Office of the President got involved.

He stated that:

* AT&T replaced the F1 and F2 feeder cables.

Now I know what a F1 and F2 cable is; and I know these are underground in this area. So I requested from our "DigRite" agency records showing where they requested the markings to disprove him. There was no record of any feeder cables (I know the exact path route from CO to the house) being replaced, and no record of any markings requested.

In fact during the investigation by the PUC they found that AT&T had improperly strung "temporary" cable on poles at the end of our block they did not have access to. Amazingly, less than 2 weeks later once they questioned AT&T about that they tore them down and buried them (they had been that way for OVER 3 YEARS!)

The folks at the Office of the President couldn't get this jackass to do anything. The lady was apologetic, and did everything in her power to get him to respond and he never would. My question is -- how the HELL does he even still have a job? If I lied like that I'd be fired from my job.

The minute we have a choice besides AT&T I will drop this service like no tomorrow. An independent is running fiber through town right now, and I can't wait for them to turn it on.

I figure that AT&T probably spent over $10,000 getting my service to work right. All of which could have been avoided if it wasn't for that tech mgr who had some sort of grievance against me.

DataRiker
Premium

Having worked for ATT this is typical behavior.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to dmxrob6

How he kept his job? One word- Union. They protect the good and the bad. And more so the bad. - which is why a lot of people, and areas hate them.

DataRiker
Premium

2 edits

Managers are not in the Union.

Gigabyte2004

join:2004-09-12
Morganton, NC
reply to dmxrob6

I had an ordeal with them a few months ago,but it didn't take that long. It took numerous calls to get anything accomplished.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dmxrob6

said by dmxrob6:

* AT&T replaced the F1 and F2 feeder cables.

Now I know what a F1 and F2 cable is; and I know these are underground in this area. So I requested from our "DigRite" agency records showing where they requested the markings to disprove him. There was no record of any feeder cables (I know the exact path route from CO to the house) being replaced, and no record of any markings requested.

I am guessing the guy wanted to save his budget for something he wanted, rather than what would give you good service. In other words, I don't doubt that he had some ulterior motive and that the result was that you were getting unacceptable service.

However around here the vast majority of F1 and the F2 is in duct between manholes. If the duct is in decent shape, it would not require a locate to replace cable in duct. It may be their policy to locate even when they're just rodding. I don't know.

I am curious about requesting utility locator records, though. Is the agency covered under a state FOIA-type statute, or is their policy simply that they release whatever you want, or what? That would surprise me since during UVerse construction around here AT&T took all the usual steps to conceal their progress, work, costs, etc.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to dmxrob6

He still has a job because he's making the numbers look good for his bosses, that's how.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to ArgMeMatey

However around here the vast majority of F1 and the F2 is in duct...

... during UVerse construction around here AT&T took all the usual steps to conceal their progress, work, costs, etc.

In these parts, the only thing anyone ducts is fiber. Trenching a duct is a lot of work -- it may pay off in the long run, but these morons cannot see past tomorrow.

It's easy to hide your build-out when you use many, many different contractors. "No-Cut" really doesn't care who's doing what; they'll record who made the request/paid the bill, but that's as far as they go.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to OSUGoose

said by OSUGoose:

He still has a job because he's making the numbers look good for his bosses, that's how.

That is exactly right.

Everything at ATT comes down to a metric on a spreadsheet, which often has little to do with reality.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dmxrob6

Hello All,
I'm currently a comcast customer, a friend of mine that lives around the corner from me retired from AT&T, after working there for 30 + year's. His last position was to connect the fiber optics to the vrad boxes for u-verse. He's told me first hand some 'interesting' stories, concerning how some 'task's' get performed sometimes. I've been reading the post's in here concerning the 'supposed' upcoming speed increases with the internet portion of u-verse. With comcast I regularly get good speed's already. I do like some of the 'feature's' that u-verse has on the tv side. Such as being able to record 4 shows @ once, a better program guide, a wireless receiver, etc. . But at least @ this point in time..I'm not ready to jump the comcast ship so to speak, especially if the u-verse 'waters' are still too choppy. The 'good' thing for me anyway..is if I ever DO decide to try out u-verse, the vrad is located very close to my home, right across the street. Of course I don't know the condition of the copper lines coming into the network interface box on the side of our house, but I remember before the u-verse system got 'turned on', there were at&t tech's in our neighborhood 'supposedly' checking condition of the copper wires. We shall see ....
David

dmxrob6
Premium
Boonville, MO

The vrad could be sitting 1-foot away from your backdoor. That doesn't mean anything. You still could be served out of a box located 2+ miles down the road.

I wouldn't wish AT&T on my worse enemy.

peanutrl

join:2013-03-26
Webb City, MO
reply to dmxrob6

So far I have had 4 techs come out. Switched from ATT DSL to U-Verse March 8, 2013 have had problems since day 1. Technical support sais showing intermittent line issues, sends 1st tech out that couldnt find any problems but fixed 2 places rotted in the wires out on the line & gave me a new modem just in case. Later that evening same problem again call ATT tech supp. still showing line issue I ask what happens if 2nd tech doesnt find prob. again? He tells me I need to have a line tech come out if 2nd tech cant find. So 2nd Tech found no prob. except another spot rotted that he fixed I ask him about line tech & was told in Joplin/Spf they only have 1 tech that does it all unlike other areas. Next day prob again except now all 6 lights are on modem but internet not working. 3rd Tech found prob with underground line puts a temp line up hoping it will fix unfounded issue. 4th tech came out yesterday found no problem. ATT suppose to bury line by the 28th I hope the one they bury is better than the temporary cuz still having problems.

DataRiker
Premium

The line they bury will certainly not be better than the temp line, and in all honesty might be worse, let me explain.

Depending on how the tech left the temp line ( which is a real drop line by the way ) the dig contractor might have to reattach onto the pedestal and the Nid.

Now I don't want to generalize but in my experience the dig contractors are not very skilled, and I have seen many drops cut and spliced when being buried and have I have also seen way too many ugly signal killing attachments on binding posts ( completely untwisted with shiners ).

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
reply to dmxrob6

Hi All,
Especially reading here in these board's, in reference to the 'proposed' new speeds coming eventually from uverse, I'd be better off to just stay with comcast.

waver168

join:2005-04-08
Fremont, CA

Davy49,
Coming from comcast, I would absolutely sticked with them if I'd the choice.
You'd to pray that you don't have any line issue, otherwise this at&t idea of separating into a inside tech and outside line tech visits is crazy. Too many times when it doesn't work it ends up being a left hand blaming right hand kind of thing, and you've to end up scheduling a different tech to visit, for people who had to take time off to be home for service, it's complete waste of my time. I want to deal with at&t as a single company, not with two at&t department/business group.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

Dear waver 168,
Thanks so much for such a 'candid' reply, with knowing/ reading about what's in the future for comcast, I think I'm going to remain with them a little longer now. The good thing for me anyway.. at least with comcast, I'm not under a contract.