join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN

OverBurn to Soho97UK

to Soho97UK

Re: [poll] What will happen with Win8?

said by Soho97UK:

said by Gem:

Microsoft Won't Do Anything

If they do anything sensible with the UI they'd be admitting that a multi-billion dollar company was outperformed by the single programmer who wrote Classic Shell.

I would not even be using Win7 if not for classic shell. I love the customization options with the old W2K style menu look with the aero effect added.

I'll never use Win8 other than for testing, unless major changes are made.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by OverBurn:

said by Soho97UK:

said by Gem:

Microsoft Won't Do Anything

If they do anything sensible with the UI they'd be admitting that a multi-billion dollar company was outperformed by the single programmer who wrote Classic Shell.

I would not even be using Win7 if not for classic shell. I love the customization options with the old W2K style menu look with the aero effect added.

I'll never use Win8 other than for testing, unless major changes are made.

Yes, if I were to downgrade to Win 7, I would have to use Classic Shell. I used it when it was brand new on Win 7 public beta. Even then Win 7 is so UGLY...all the fat, 3D stuff..it looks like a lumbering OX. Classic Shell got it sort of back to XP/W2000 sleek look. I HATED Win 7 when I got the public beta...until Classic Shell was written and that was a life saver. I have never understood the admiration many have for Win 7. Win 8 desktop is MUCH better looking than Win 7 without Classic Shell. I already had transparency with XP so that was nothing new. I''d like it for Win 8 but it is a video card thing and nVidia dropped all goodies from their cards because they said no one used them! I guess that is why so many thought Win 7 Aero was something "new".

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Turn off the Aero stuff in Win 7 then for gods sake - yes - it is that easy. The Start button in Win 7 is finally a functional button. When compared to XP - the Win 7 Start button is a correct and fully functional Start button.

I personally hate the Win 8 screen - I would have to use Classic Shell and if I would have to do that to get a good OS - then I don't see why I would even want it.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Turn off Aero? That has NOTHING to do with the ugliness of Win 7 GUI. Win 8 DESKTOP GUI (not Metro) is great. It is sleek and fast looking. Very nice. Win 7 GUI with or without Aero (I had Win 7 beta on a virtual machine so no Aero) is awful...fat and bloated looking..rounded, swelled up bloated looking corners. I believe Microsoft said it was that way so it looked "3D". It just looked fat, slow and bloated to me. Win 8 has square corners just like XP and earlier.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

NoHereNoMo

Win7 "looks slow"? (That's about the strangest thing I've ever heard said about an OS.) XP has rounded corners BTW (at the top--very visible).

Win8 is Microsoft's worst brain fart since WinMe. (Vista barely registered on the M$ Phart-o-meter.) I mean, if you want to put the Windows Phone OS UI on a tablet, then go right ahead; that even makes some sense. But on a desktop? ...that's just the dumbest thing that they could do.

Bob. Clippy. The Ribbon. And now... Win8. For every NT, XP, and Win7 that M$ comes out with, there's an equal & opposite utter failure. Well, maybe this failure will be yet another learning experience.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

said by NoHereNoMo:

Win8 is Microsoft's worst brain fart since WinMe.

No, sorry, but WinME was not nearly that bad.

OverBurn
join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN

OverBurn to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Yes, if I were to downgrade to Win 7, I would have to use Classic Shell. I used it when it was brand new on Win 7 public beta. Even then Win 7 is so UGLY...all the fat, 3D stuff..it looks like a lumbering OX. Classic Shell got it sort of back to XP/W2000 sleek look. I HATED Win 7 when I got the public beta...until Classic Shell was written and that was a life saver. I have never understood the admiration many have for Win 7. Win 8 desktop is MUCH better looking than Win 7 without Classic Shell. I already had transparency with XP so that was nothing new. I''d like it for Win 8 but it is a video card thing and nVidia dropped all goodies from their cards because they said no one used them! I guess that is why so many thought Win 7 Aero was something "new".

I don't get this post at all, I feel just the opposite, Win7 with Aero looks great. Win8 is horrible looking, on top of the diminished function.