uniqs

Cortland
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

Re: Too many iPad Apps, one for each URL, just too many

Yes but to us not technical people every site is beginning to do it and one feels guilty not doing it cause they promise you better navigation, etc. eBay, Amazon, the news, the weather, etc., dozens of sites. The situation should be managed by Apple in my opinion. This is an opportunity for Window$ to step in and manager that and hurt Apple otherwise.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Cortland:

The situation should be managed by Apple in my opinion.

But guess what? You don't have to download a single app from the app store. Don't want an app version of a site? Then use the browser. I have no idea why anyone would feel guilty about doing so. It's YOUR experience, man up and OWN it

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

This business of man up is for techies. As a non techie, when Netflix suggests its App, I feel there is a need for it. Looks different. Less choices, then I cannot see my disks, only the watch it now. COnfusing different options. Opens the door for Microsoft to consolidate and make Apple look spread disorganized. Normally suggested upgrades are good for the OS. One would not "man up" and stay with old OS versions one likes, right?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Opens the door for Microsoft to consolidate and make Apple look spread disorganized.

No it doesn't.

Microsoft isn't going to create a Netflix app that will let you stream Netflix content. Netflix will create their app for access to their content on Windows platforms and it will work the way that Netflix wants it. That is, their streaming app will be for streaming their content -- that's up to Netflix, not Apple, not Microsoft, etc. So, not a good example.

(As an aside, Netflix chose a long time ago to not let users manage their disc queues via mobile apps and there's nothing Apple or Microsoft can do about it -- they don't get to play there).

If you have have issues with a way an app works, you need to take it up with the developer of said app, not the platform provider.

Normally suggested upgrades are good for the OS. One would not "man up" and stay with old OS versions one likes, right?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here and even less certain how it pertains to apps, who is responsible for them, and who actually controls them.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

Who controls them? Apple has to approve them one by one.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yes, Apple approves the apps but only against their developer guidelines (security, user interface design, etc).

More info:

App Review Guidelines
The App Review Guidelines provide rules and examples across a range of topics, including user interface design, functionality, content, and the use of specific technologies. Ensure your apps comply with these guidelines before submitting them for review.

Apple is NOT going to tell Netflix that they have to include queue management in their own Netflix app, for example.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

Apple can have guidelines to streamline the process to make "are you in our netflix? try our app instead" so that the experience is fluid but also there is a need for a seamless auto guide to the right place, soon comedians are gonna make fun of the 1000 apps inside the ipad

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Huh? What are you trying to say? Apple should control a 3rd party website offering you their app?

Do you feel guilty for not responding to all the junk mail in your mail box too? Should Apple control that too? Ya just have to learn to sort it and ignore it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
And... we'll just have to agree to disagree.