Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ethan_hines

join:2006-08-12
Quispamsis, NB

1 edit

[Internet] Every ISP Router Should have Logs

I want from either a current emp or former emp.to explain why I the end consumer am forbidden to access the ADSL logs to determine if indeed there is an issue with my connection.

I have been given a 2wire 2701-HG G (meaning a Bell contracted 2 wire device) I understand it is not mine per se since I am renting it however either due to the fact I am not close enough to the CO.

I am paying for five Megabits/s Download and as per speedtest.net I am getting 2.75Mbps. Now I know if I call support they will not rush to fix this issue.

It is possible there is a SNR problem however my gut tells me it's a distance issue. Nevertheless I see no reason why since my device was programed with version 6 of the firmware, that I should be penalized by not having proper LOGS to resort to when speaking with Tier 1,2 or 3 Tech Service.

It is also my understanding that the majority of techs even at l3 do not know the password to access the logs. This to me is ludicrous. It is a very good thing that Bell has decided to drop bandwidth caps else I would be extremely upset.

Let it be known if Rogers was available in the quasi country on Quebec I would jump at the opportunity since Cable is in my opinion far superior to xDSL. I I have the right to brick my equipment just as I have the right to brick my android (which I came very close).

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON

said by ethan_hines:

I want from either a current emp or former emp.to explain why I the end consumer am forbidden to access the ADSL logs to determine if indeed there is an issue with my connection. I have been given a 2wire 2701-HG G (meaning a Bell contracted 2 wire device) I understand it is not mine per se since I am renting it however either due to the fact I am not close enough to the CO.

I am paying for five Megabits/s Download and as per speedtest.net I am getting 2.75Mbps. Now I know if I call support they will not rush to fix this issue. It is possible there is a SNR problem however my gut tells me it's a distance issue. Nevertheless I see no reason why since my device was programed with version 6 of the firmware, that I should be penalized by not having proper LOGS to resort to when speaking with Tier 1,2 or 3 Tech Service.

It is also my understanding that the majority of techs even at l3 do not know the password to access the logs. This to me is lucdicris. It is a very good thing that Bell has decided to drop bandwidth caps else I would be extremely upset. Let it be known if Rogers was available in the quasi country on Quebec I would jump at the opportunity since Cable is in my opinion far superior to xDSL.

If bribing a current or former emp of Bell Canada for the tech password is required name your price up to $100. I have the right to brick my equipment just as i have the right to brick my android (which I came very close).

Paragraphs are your friend.

Now, as to the exact problem you're dealing with... have you considered posting in direct and asking them for details?

And do you seriously think that a bribe of $100 is enough to convince somebody to do something that could cost them their job? That's assuming that a password is even required to get the information you're looking for.... My understanding is that L1 can see the current ADSL sync rate and performance characteristics, which should be enough to get what you're really looking for.

ethan_hines

join:2006-08-12
Quispamsis, NB

I think it's ridiculous to think a password which not client specific could cause a L1,L2,or L3 or installation tech to loose their job.

As for posting in direct this topic has a been discussed and while the firmware CAN be changed to a version 6 it can not be downgraded to the version that indicated any anomalies in the data connection.

As for for using paragraphs, I agree. However have seen the text that passes for communication these days? At least my document was grammatically correct.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to ethan_hines

Then why aren't you getting your own modem ?

vitesse

join:2002-12-17
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Bell Sympatico
·Videotron
reply to ethan_hines

DSL is an UP TO services. On their web site Bell tell it should be at least 64lkbps.

They already know the distance for your c/o or remote, they already know your snrm and your attenuation. You don't need to get access to log to diagnose the problem.

Bell won't do anything has you run faster than their minimum advertised (64kbps).
--
Connection: ElectronicBox 60mbps / 3mbps
Bilingual DSLR ElectronicBox Forum: »ELECTRONICBOX

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 recommendation

reply to ethan_hines

»[Internet] Line stats with new Bell firmware on 2701HG-G?

May get you what you need; or at least a step closer...

The C_5_3 page appears to have the line stats...