share rss forum feed

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

[WIN7] W7-64 UAC Settings..... Specific files instead of Global

I've a couple programs that I need to disable UAC on....

I've found a way to do it......
»support.microsoft.com/kb/975787

BUT it's kind of like using a shotgun to kill a fly..

Is there any way to disable UAC on just a couple files, and not everything???

W7-64

Thanks...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Re: [WIN7] W7-64 UAC Settings..... Specific files instead of Gl

I don't believe there is a way - UAC is at the OS level - not the file/folder level (if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me). A system I used to support had issues with UAC and I never found a way to tun it off fro one file or folder.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jan Janowski
You probably mean "configure UAC to automatically elevate on certain files" rather than "turn off UAC", right?

Because either the admin-level access is enabled all the time for your process tree (UAC off) or it is not (UAC on). If you're already logged in without the access level to run something, then without UAC help, you're not going to be running it.

As far as I know, there's no official way to do it. The discrimination built into the system is "windows binaries" (which presumably means binaries signed with some Microsoft-controlled key) versus other binaries. That is, UAC can be configured to silently elevate all windows binaries, or prompt for same, but there's no file-level control.

There might be 3rd party solutions. This site claims 'UAC Trust Shortcut' does the trick. I can't vouch for the program or the site, however, so do your research.

P.S. I've no idea how such a thing might be implemented. My guess is that it briefly turns off UAC prompts, starts the program, and restores the UAC setting. If so, there's a very small time window in which 'anything can get in' -- i.e., it's not really file-specific.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Jan Janowski

Not sure if it will do the job you require or not, but there is a bypass command I've seen in CCleaner.

There is a scheduled task that has a command line with $Arg0 at the end, however it isn't a switch like /$Arg0, so I'm not sure how the programming is done, but it reduces the prompting for UAC, and is listed as a SkipUAC option.

It might be something for you to look at.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
$arg0 is surely someone's syntax for 'the first argument on the command line' and not inherently meaningful in itself (though argument 0 is, in most jurisdictions, the name by which the program was started).

norwegian
Premium
Outback
Depending on needs, what of this then?

»social.technet.microsoft.com/For···f4c08b87
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
It seems like a lot of effort to make sure that the gun is pointing squarely at your own feet.

Basically, if you're going to allow an unprivileged user to instruct code running in privileged context to do something on behalf of the unprivileged user, it had better be well-written and not subvertible. The example that the guy from Sweden gave is insane: it allows anyone to add themselves to the local Admins group. And yet he apparently wants UAC kept on (probably for security, right?).

It's probably simpler just to keep the admin's password in a command in a handy script file. And safer.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jan Janowski
This seems to describe the fundamental mechanism behind Task Scheduler approaches to the problem:

»msmvps.com/blogs/martinzugec/arc···ams.aspx

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to dave

I thought that the case. While it sounded plausible, that level of permission seemed a little over the top.

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dave
That seems helpful...

I have 3 programs that I want to change for the "Highest Privilege" and then reset UAC back to "Normal'

This way, all but 3 programs will act "normally" and 3 will "Run As Administrator"....

Is that what "Elevator" will do?
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
If they are not running on startup then just change the properties to have them always run as admin so it will always trigger the prompt if it doesn't by default.

If they need to be ran as admin on startup use one of the existing scripts to do it, but honestly any software that needs to be ran as admin on startup was poorly written, or not properly installed.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
Darn! One of them (Rivatuner) IS running in Startup!!

(And even when I disable UAC totally Rivatuner runs, but it doesn't change fan speed like it did when UAC was On, and I hit a key to accept it.... I'm trying to get it to run automatically and change fan speed, without having to hit a key.

How does Startup change things?

I'm running Rivatuner just to change fan speed from default 35% to 100%... nothing else...
--

disconnected

@108.250.152.x
reply to Jan Janowski
a method that I found that seems to work fairly well on a case by case basis is to use the task scheduler to launch individual applications with elevated credentials.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
reply to Jan Janowski
Well for manual shortcuts look under compatibility so you'll always be prompted for elevation.

People have created a scheduled task, or even a service to accomplish running a program as admin on startup. A scheduled task is far easier to manage for most people, just run it under one of your admin accounts with highest privileges after the user has login.

So you're kicking up the fan on your gpu? I'd say as long as you're not overclocking that might only serve to wear it out faster, and make more noise. My fan is floating at 40% right now with the gpu basically idle, and it will speed up on it's own.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to Jan Janowski
said by Jan Janowski:

Darn! One of them (Rivatuner) IS running in Startup!!

I've found this:
ht tp://rivatuner.doomdealer.com/
Also:
Task Scheduler which has already been suggested.

Interesting though was the creator's concern, excuse the cross post - just food for thought if the urge to hack things as you go bites:
ht tp://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=1795192&postcount=3
--

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to BlitzenZeus
I'm doing a 'Considerable Amount' of Cuda Processing, and the heat this caused on GPU was not being fully compensated by fan in AUTO mode. Running fan at 100% fixed it.

I'd rather replace a fan than a GPU (Quadro FX 4800).
--

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Jan Janowski
Google a bit to see if you can run Rivatuner as a service. I had to do that with SpeedFan on Vista many years ago. My son was pretty young and I setup his account as a standard user, thus SpeedFan wouldn't load as an app. I don't recall the details, but it did work properly once I found the instructions.