spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jrble819

join:2010-01-22
Cumberland, MD

Winchester Road, Cumberland - Is it ABB?

I've seen quite a few contracted lineman on Winchester road in Cumberland in the past weeks. It looks like they're running a steel cable in order to run some new lines on the poles. The line is up with the cable/fiber bundle. Does anyone know if this is for ABB or not? If it is, anyone know what the purpose is? I heard a rumor back in early December that ABB was going to start providing residential fiber in early 2013 and it'd be exciting if this was a new fiber line to that purpose!

ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA
Not sure who or what you are seeing, but Atlantic Broadband has no plans to change from a cable company to fiber to the home, or at least not something that has been announced to anyone here.

jrble819

join:2010-01-22
Cumberland, MD
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the response. After further investigation it looks like they are running some lines as a part of that Maryland broadband initiative. The only reason I say that is the lines they ran are hoping from pole to pole connecting some boxes in the ground. The boxes have an orange market on them denoting that its fiber and its a part of the Maryland broadband initiative (DoIT - OMBN)

ABBJason

join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA
reply to jrble819
Just for your information, cable companies do use fiber, just not fiber to the home. Cable systems are called hybrid fiber coax. Basically we run a string of fiber from a head end out to a town/neighborhood, then convert to coaxial cable and run that to the home.

I looked up that One Maryland Broadband Network. Sounds like it is for public institutions and government locations.