uniqs
share rss forum feed

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Québec - Update

hmm I see what you mean, now. Even with *FL* setup timer to have the downloads from 2-8. Anything HD that I download... I set it to download at night, then unlimited isnt a problem.

Technically 50mbit = 6.25mb/s

so that would be alot of GB between 2-8

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

Yeah, and upload doesn't count either. It really just counts downloads for 18 hours a day, that's it. But sometimes there might be a month where you need to do some big transfers, and that's when having a good max overage cap (which should be reasonable in cost to help the customer, but still higher than unlimited costs to discourage using it for unlimited every month) can be nice.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Pardesi

join:2013-03-06
reply to TSI Marc

why you want to discourage someone to download unlimited every month ?

I think it make more sense that max overage price is the price one should pay if he/she had unlimited option. If you download a lot you will me consider as Unlimited option user if you download less then 300 Gb you pay 300 GB price.

Why one should pay more then unlimited price ? that is not logic.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Because if you go over on a capped plan, you mess up their capacity planning. There needs to be a penalty to encourage you to get unlimited if you need it. There is also the matter that unlimited users pay more because on average they use more. If the cost of the max overage was the same as unlimited, nobody would pay for unlimited, and TSI would have to jack up the price for everybody.

Remember that if you max out a 50 meg DSL line all month, you'll cost your ISP over $500.
--

simsin0

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

It makes sense when you bring up the capacity planning. Didn't consider that.

This is exactly why I like Teksavvy because of their honest/transparent approach and a max overage that is quite reasonable.

just to compare: I was checking a friends Bell bill and he was charged overage at 2$/gb up to a max of 80 on fibe5/1 plan.

padenom

join:2008-03-28
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Because it's a lot of extra money paying for unlimited every month if there's just one or two heavy months that you go over?

An odd month of heavy download can mostly be "leveled out" if the 2-month averaging continues. It only becomes an issue when one continue to download more... at that point the person is better off choosing ultd.

simsin0

reply to TSI Marc

Did Marc mention the dates in any other posts by any chance? BUMP

singsonn

join:2009-08-12
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

So, when is this change effective? I'm already on the 300GB 25/10 plan, I therefore just have to wait for the price to be adjusted on the next bill?

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to TSI Marc

15/10 is now available!

Up to 15 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps Up
Please note: Monthly modem rental is mandatory for DSL 15/10.

300GB for $41.99
Unlimited for $56.99

But now with 25Mbps being a few dollars more I guess it's a no-brainer to go for 25.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by ns1225:

But now with 25Mbps being a few dollars more I guess it's a no-brainer to go for 25.

15/10 used to be MORE expensive than 25/10 because until the latest tariff revision, the 10Mbps upload on 15/1 which already cost nearly as much as 25/10 (only $0.25/month difference) was a $3.75/month extra, making 15/10 $3.50 MORE expensive than 25/10 on the wholesale side of things.

Now that 10Mbps upload option is at "no additional charge" in the tariff, 15/10 is now a workable option. Of course, the "no charge" neglects to account for the required VDSL2 modem.

Personally, I would not pay for more than what I actually have a use for and since I can already do just about everything I want with 6/0.8, paying another $4/month extra for 25/10 when I already do not really need 15/10 would not be worth it. If 15/10 was $35/month in Quebec as it is in Ontario (currently listed at $42/month for QC), I would consider upgrading to that when I move next summer.

inferno_gn
Premium
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Hi there,

Still have that crappy rental modem... How much is it, 8$? It's extra cost for nothing. I want to be able to buy my own modem...

Ju Leon...
--
Otaku Anime Network
»www.otakuanime.com/

bbwarrior

join:2005-12-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

said by inferno_gn:

Hi there,

Still have that crappy rental modem... How much is it, 8$? It's extra cost for nothing. I want to be able to buy my own modem...

Ju Leon...

Actually the rental may not be a bad idea at the beginning, I'd like to know what remote I'm on so that I can make a decision on buying a modem like the Huawei VDSL2 one. Now I'm not sure if the Sagemcom rental/buy out will be mandatory, something tells me they will but who knows.

Zyzomys

join:2008-05-23
Cantley, QC
reply to TSI Marc

I am jealous. I am not able to get anything other than 6/800. The joys of living in the Outaouais.

Sucks for me. Cheers

inferno_gn
Premium
Verdun, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Hi there,

How about switching to cable? I hope somehow, the rental can be bought off. I rather buy a modem and call it my own rather then renting it. It's another 8$ extra.

Though, I really don't need 25mpbs speed. *lol* I only download at night...

Ju Leon...
--
Otaku Anime Network
»www.otakuanime.com/

demez

join:2008-01-03
Laval, QC
reply to TSI Marc

As someone currently on the 10/1 plan on a 12mb profile would it make a significant difference for me to pay for a line change to bump up to 15/1?

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC

they're both the same price, so you would sync at 17ish instead of 12.

upto you if you want to pay the $25

demez

join:2008-01-03
Laval, QC

Well that's what I'm curious about, would I actually sync at 17ish to get the full 15 or would I sync at 15 to be barely above what I have now. I actually had to befriend a Bell tech that came to my house to fix my telephone line to get on the 12 profile in the first place as when I first signed up I was on the 10.

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Acanac

I'm grandfathered into the 16/1, which is now 15/1 and I sync at 19452/816 (stinger remote, explains the low upload)

Initially they will by default sync you at 15/1 and eventually give you a speed bump to compensate for the pppoe overhead. If this does not happen automatically, get teksavvy to kick bell in the behind for you until they do.

inferno_gn
Premium
Verdun, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Hi there,

I'm grandfathered to the old 16 mpbs profile, but they sync me at that, so I never get more then 14 mpbs. Others are lucky to get a 19452, but my sector can't even get that...

Ju Leon...
--
Otaku Anime Network
»www.otakuanime.com/

padenom

Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

I was looking at the rates for QC on TS site - did anyone notice that both 10/1 and 15/1 for 300GB plan show up as $39.99! Why would anyone want 10/1 if 15/1 is the same price?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

The unlimited package isn't the same price. If your line only qualifies for 10 meg and not 15, then you can save some money on the unlimited tier.
--

padenom

Montreal, QC

I fully agree with the reasoning for the Ultd option.

I was just wondering why offer the 300MB package for two different speeds at the same price (my location offers both!)? No one would go for the 10 when 15 is available at the same price.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc

It's less confusing this way.

For example, say you want the 300GB package but your line only qualifies for the 10 meg service. As a customer, you're going to think your only option is to get the more expensive unlimited option... unless they list it anyhow even if the price is the same.
--

nohead

join:2004-05-31
Brossard, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Oh yeah! Finally a company who can lower my fee comparing to all my other utility bills! Customer since 2006 and still amazed!