uniqs
pvanb
join:2009-08-13
Mississauga, ON

pvanb to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update

said by TSI Marc:

personally, for those on legacy 6 meg.. if you have a wet loop.. I'd actually stay there just because all the FTTN stuff actually performs better..

I'm assuming you mean stay on the wet loop, not stay on legacy 6 meg?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by nitzguy:

Should I do a dance in the middle of the street?

only if you share the video of it!

personally, for those on legacy 6 meg.. if you have a wet loop.. I'd actually stay there just because all the FTTN stuff actually performs better.. we'll be telling our reps the same thing. it's not that it doesn't work.. it will surely work but we just have a better certainty that it will work on newer infrastructure.

If you're upgrading to 15/1.. you should be able to do that now. the dry loop install fees should now be waived.

The TekTalk stuff, I don't believe that's getting rolled out today. But once it does, anybody on it will have everything adjusted accordingly.. everybody gets the same deal...

With all the snow we got I'd be doing the slush dance, maybe when it melts away a little lol.

I have a 15/1 with a wet loop right now. I'm just worried about downtime and minimizing that downtime as I'm in an apartment right now and I'm afriad to look to see if I have a 2nd pair as I"m only about 700m from the CO but...I'm lucky to sync at the 16320 profile right now....the lines are not that great going into my apartment I"m guessing.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

gotcha.. you'll have to work through it all with somebody on the team.. I'm sure it's doable though.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Theriex:

Why do I only qualify for 25/10 with Teksavvy, but qualify for 50/10 with Bell?

Same thing for my postal code.

Trick I've found is to get your dry loop number and have them qualify you on that, rather than your postal code.

When I first ordered service TSI only qualified me for 16 ADSL2+, even though Bell was happy to sell me 25/7 and FibeTV. I had Bell install 25/7, got my dry loop #, and then had TSI install a second line based on that #. Went through without issue.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to pvanb

Premium Member

to pvanb
said by pvanb:

said by TSI Marc:

personally, for those on legacy 6 meg.. if you have a wet loop.. I'd actually stay there just because all the FTTN stuff actually performs better..

I'm assuming you mean stay on the wet loop, not stay on legacy 6 meg?

if you're on 6 meg legacy.. wet loop is best solution. is all I'm saying...

NeveruseDSL
@rogers.com

NeveruseDSL to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
Can I purchase my own modem and use it for this service? To avoid the 8$ rental fee? And I would just have to pay service + dry loop?

How much exactly does the dry loop cost? I see many different Band's on the website

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

said by HiVolt:

said by Theriex:

Why do I only qualify for 25/10 with Teksavvy, but qualify for 50/10 with Bell?

Same thing for my postal code.

Trick I've found is to get your dry loop number and have them qualify you on that, rather than your postal code.

When I first ordered service TSI only qualified me for 16 ADSL2+, even though Bell was happy to sell me 25/7 and FibeTV. I had Bell install 25/7, got my dry loop #, and then had TSI install a second line based on that #. Went through without issue.

when you proceed to order.. our system does a second, more thorough check.. you should be able to override things from there. try it out and see what happens.. i'm curious too.

..Bell also just released new tools that we haven't yet incorporated they may also have recently updated their DB as well.. so that could be causing further issues i dont know but as far as we know it should be pretty accurate once you go down to the second check. for the postal code.. there's only so much you can do without the specific address... it will never be perfect.. it's not possible.

orderingsoon
@speakeasy.net

orderingsoon to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
Marc do you have ballpark about the price range for the buy your own vdsl modem option?

Also the availability checker seems to have some issues. I'm going to call in to order but several postal codes which have 50/10(and fibe tv) don't get the option for ordering 50/10 only 25/10.

Theriex
join:2010-09-19
Kanata, ON

Theriex to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I didn't see any second check. Still comes up as 25/10 max. Both Bell and Start give me 50/10 with my full address.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Theriex:

I didn't see any second check. Still comes up as 25/10 max. Both Bell and Start give me 50/10 with my full address.

try to order it... it will do a second check.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

said by Theriex:

Unless I'm missing something, you can't order without entering the postal code, and once its got that, it does not show DSL 50 for me... if I go ahead with the ordering info it continues to show everything as DSL25...

Theriex
join:2010-09-19
Kanata, ON

Theriex

Ya I don't want to order unless it shows 50/10. I also want want to make sure it's under my current CID and that my current services are merged with the internet. So I guess murder involves a little more work.

Edit: Lol 'murder' involves a little more work, nice. that's supposed to be My Order
justasomeone
join:2009-06-21

justasomeone to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
I'm looking at the TSI site but I see many different Band's of dry loop, which one would I need exactly for 25/10? (never used dsl before)
darrylr
join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

darrylr

You don't pick a band. You're residence is already in one but it isn't obvious which one until someone looks it up.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

said by Theriex:

Unless I'm missing something, you can't order without entering the postal code, and once its got that, it does not show DSL 50 for me... if I go ahead with the ordering info it continues to show everything as DSL25...

we'll be looking at why exactly it doesn't show... if it really is supposed to show..

if you proceed to order the 25 meg though.. will it allow you to over ride and choose a different speed? I believe it does...

if you have existing service though, you should call in for sure as we temporarily disabled those upgrade tools in MyWorld...

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Oh, i wasnt checking in myworld, actually... just on the main site...

I'll wait a little bit until the modem situation is more clear...
jmagder
join:2011-02-09
Markham, ON

jmagder to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Did a little URL guessing and the 50/10 plan seems to be listed at:

»www.teksavvy.com/en/resi ··· d-dsl-50.
sqrl6
join:2007-10-13
Mississauga, ON

sqrl6 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Quick modem question, I'm currently on 6/0.8 using a 2wire 2700HG-B which I got waaaay back when Bell first introduced caps and I switched to TS. I assume the 2wire won't work on a 15/1 line but my backup TP-8816 should work?

Also, I'm connected to an IKNS remote. Would the upload bug still affect me on 15/1?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Marc

MVM

to TSI Marc
It's iffy, because the 2700HG-B is an ADSL2+ modem, but there is conflicting information about how well it actually does with ADSL2+ connections. Theoretically, it should work.

teletone
join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

teletone to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
are these new rates sync rates or actual download & upload rates?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Marc

MVM

to TSI Marc
For legacy service, the advertised rates are the sync speeds, not the actual speeds. For FTTN, the advertised rates are the actual speeds, not the sync speeds.

For example, 25/10 service actually syncs in the ballpark of 27/11.3

teletone
join:2010-06-07
Toronto, On

teletone

so as long as you're served by FTTN and not the CO, regardless if you are on VDSL or ADSL you get the actual rate?

15/1 would be 15/1?

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

It's iffy, because the 2700HG-B is an ADSL2+ modem, but there is conflicting information about how well it actually does with ADSL2+ connections. Theoretically, it should work.

It works extremely well on 19455/1085.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to teletone

MVM

to teletone
If I had to guess, I'd say 15/1 is probably something like 16/1.3
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Guspaz:

For legacy service, the advertised rates are the sync speeds, not the actual speeds. For FTTN, the advertised rates are the actual speeds, not the sync speeds.

Note that for legacy, those are max sync speeds. For legacy 5/0.8, I got syncs of 3 Mbps.
said by Mike2009:

said by Guspaz:

Good to know, as I have one of those modems too. I found that modem isn't the strongest for sync stability for legacy ADSL, but it was good enough, esp. when I only paid $25 for the thing.
bbiab
join:2004-05-26

bbiab

What are people recommending these days for buying adsl2+ modem?

Poser
join:2002-07-28

Poser to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
So we can only rent modems at this point?

That's a shame!
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug

said by Poser:

So we can only rent modems at this point?

That's a shame!

Rent-only for VDSL2 only, but that should be changing soon. You purchase modems for ADSL2 and legacy DSL.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to Eug

to Eug
said by Eug:

said by Guspaz:

Note that for legacy, those are max sync speeds. For legacy 5/0.8, I got syncs of 3 Mbps.
said by Mike2009:

said by Guspaz:

Good to know, as I have one of those modems too. I found that modem isn't the strongest for sync stability for legacy ADSL, but it was good enough, esp. when I only paid $25 for the thing.

The 2700HG-B with AT&T firmware is great. I also have a 2701HG-T with Qwest Firmware which is even better. It has less detailed stats than the 2700 but is extremely stable. I would highly recommend this bridged with a good router.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

If I had to guess, I'd say 15/1 is probably something like 16/1.3

nope, the upstream is 1088 max on any ADSL2+ tier... However very few people get that upstream, its usually under 1000k, add to that the real world speed is 900k or less...

Bell never did offer Annex M to increase ADSL2+ upload speeds.