uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gwai Lo Dan

join:2007-01-24
L5B 0C8
reply to Guspaz

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update

said by Guspaz:

It's iffy, because the 2700HG-B is an ADSL2+ modem, but there is conflicting information about how well it actually does with ADSL2+ connections. Theoretically, it should work.

I hope it works fine...that's what I am using too! I will find out next week!

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

It should work fine. Not sure where Guspaz got his information.

2wire 2700HG-B:
DSL Down Up
Current Rate: 19454 kbs 1086 kbs
Max Rate: 22445 kbs 1240 kbs
Current Connection:
Current Noise Margin: 10.6 dB 10.1 dB
Current Attenuation: 8.6 dB 5.0 dB
Current Output Power: 11.0 dBm 11.8 dBm

2wire 2701HG-T:
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Speed (down/up): 19455 Kbps/1086 Kbps
Number of Retrains: 0
Number of Retrains Elapsed Time: 0H: 00M: 00S
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 11.6 dB/11.0 dB
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 7.7 dB/5.2 dB

sqrl

join:2007-10-13
canada

Excellent. My 2700HG-B has been rock solid for almost 10 years now and to think I got it off ebay on a whim.

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
reply to sqrl

d

TSI ChrisG
Premium
join:2013-01-24
reply to Xuhum

»NEW RATES - LIVE as of March 20th, 2013

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to Poser

said by Poser:

So we can only rent modems at this point?

That's a shame!

Agreed!

I currently have a 6/0.8 connection and was seriously looking at 15/10 until I saw that $8 modem rental.

Might still make the jump to 15/1. At least I'll pick up some download speed and a tick more upload

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

15/10 costs less than 16/1 that I have including the modem rental. Seems like a pretty good deal.

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON
reply to Robrr

said by Robrr:

said by Poser:

That's a shame!

Agreed!

I currently have a 6/0.8 connection and was seriously looking at 15/10 until I saw that $8 modem rental.

Might still make the jump to 15/1. At least I'll pick up some download speed and a tick more upload

This will change in the near future, you will be able to purchase the modem.
--
TSI Pierre - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Chief Operating Officer

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON

said by TSI Pierre:

said by Robrr:

said by Poser:

That's a shame!

Agreed!

Cool! I'll just wait then until this becomes reality. I'd much prefer to only have to pay the various upgrade costs once

bjlockie

join:2007-12-16
Ottawa, DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Internally, nearly every system is getting tweaked also.. this has been in the works since last year... the MyWorld portal will get features disabled until we can re-add them... upgrading speeds and stuff like that will not work for now.

There are simply too many changes to cover everything all at once.

It'd be nice if the portal could show line stats from your end since the Sagemcom will be crippled.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

Awesome idea for line stats on the portal!

TSI Pierre
Premium
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

reply to bjlockie

said by bjlockie:

said by TSI Marc:

Internally, nearly every system is getting tweaked also.. this has been in the works since last year... the MyWorld portal will get features disabled until we can re-add them... upgrading speeds and stuff like that will not work for now.

There are simply too many changes to cover everything all at once.

It'd be nice if the portal could show line stats from your end since the Sagemcom will be crippled.

Great Idea... Will suggest it to R&D
--
Chief Operating Officer

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

Yeah, that would be pretty useful. Getting line stats from a modem is a big hassle, because you've got to change around wires and reconfigure your IP settings on the computer, and some modems don't give you much (or any!) info. If we could look up Bell's copy of the line stats at any time on our own without having to post in the direct forum, that would be nice.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

nowhere

join:2011-07-28
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc

The TekSavvy website says I would qualify for 50/10 but the Bell website says I wouldn't and my linestats seem to back up the Bell site.

Downstream line rate                     30252 kbps
 Upstream line rate                       5104 kbps
 Bearer Downstream payload rate           26352 kbps
 Bearer Upstream payload rate             4424 kbps
 Downstream attainable payload rate       26352 kbps
 Downstream attainable line rate          32612 kbps

Maybe a mistake with the TekSavvy service availability checker?

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON

Same for me. Teksavvy site says I qualify for 50/10 but Bell says only 25/10.

wally_walrus

join:2009-10-07
Orleans, ON

For me in Orleans it's the other way around... Bell says I can get 50/10 while TSI only shows 25/10 max

TSI Pierre
Premium
Chatham, ON

said by wally_walrus:

For me in Orleans it's the other way around... Bell says I can get 50/10 while TSI only shows 25/10 max

There seems to be some delays in our qualification. Our R&D team are looking into it. We can double check to make sure 50/10 is available for you.
--
Chief Operating Officer

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to TypeS

said by TypeS:

I honestly don't understand why Bell shoves the two technician install on FTTN 10 and 15 packages, I understand 15/10 because that's VDSL and its used for FibeTV where 25/10 is the highest e attainable.

Bridge taps. I have a bridge tap on my line and it needs to be removed before I can get anything faster than 6Meg GAS. Only a technician roll in the field is going to find it and remove it.

CharlieB

join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Pierre

said by TSI Pierre:

Yay. Can't wait (even better would be to get a proper bridge-mode modem, not the Sagecom). (I notice that velcom.ca has a modem purchase option.)

I signed up yesterday. Will we be notified by email when modem purchase becomes possible?

Is it normal for the rebilling date to be set by the sign-up date, not by the installation date? Seems unfair to me to be paying a monthly rate for service while waiting one-two weeks for installation...

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

Hi CharlieB,

To clarify how billing works, since we are a prepaid company, you will always pay 5 days prior to your original install date.

For example, sign up for service today and the activation is set for the 28th. As long as the activation is completed on the 28th, the due date will always be for the 21st of every month. The monthly cycle still remains from the 28th to the 27th of the next month.

In the event that you cancel, your cancellation date would be the 28th as you already prepaid all the way until the 28th.

Hopefully this clarifies your billing question.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

CharlieB

join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON

said by TSI Jon:

As long as the activation is completed on the 28th, the due date will always be for the 21st of every month. The monthly cycle still remains from the 28th to the 27th of the next month.

Thanks. One remaining clarification - what's the situation if the activation is delayed (i've been told it could be delayed up to 10 business days due to unforeseen circumstances).

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

If it gets delayed, your activation date gets revised and your billing date is fixed accordingly.
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to nowhere

No 50/10 option even though stats say it's OK

said by nowhere:

The TekSavvy website says I would qualify for 50/10 but the Bell website says I wouldn't and my linestats seem to back up the Bell site.

Downstream line rate                     30252 kbps
 Upstream line rate                       5104 kbps
 Bearer Downstream payload rate           26352 kbps
 Bearer Upstream payload rate             4424 kbps
 Downstream attainable payload rate       26352 kbps
 Downstream attainable line rate          32612 kbps

Maybe a mistake with the TekSavvy service availability checker?

Interestingly, both Bell and TSI say I do NOT qualify for 50, but my line stats say I could easily handle it. These are my stats (pulled last year):

31216 kbps - Downstream line rate
9168 kbps - Upstream line rate
26928 kbps - Bearer Downstream payload rate
7904 kbps - Bearer Upstream payload rate
71456 kbps - Downstream attainable payload rate
85600 kbps - Downstream attainable line rate

29.9 dB - Downstream Training Margin
7.7 ms - Downstream delay
0.0 ms - Upstream delay
-9.7 dbm - Tx total power
13.9 dbm - FE Tx total power
1048 ft - VDSL Estimated Loop Length
920 ft - G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length
1184 ft - G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length

Not that I really care though. I have no need for 50/10 at this time.
--
Everything Apple

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Hey Eug,

Keep in mind that our tool to qualify may say you don't but we can still send a request to set you up with 50/10. If it's working, good for you. If not then you'll have to downgrade the plan back to 25/10.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

Thanks, but I have no interest at this time in getting 50/10 anyway. (The plans that would interest me are 15/10 and 25/10.) I just found it curious that both Bell and TSI's qualification tools say 50/10 is not possible despite the close proximity of the remote (300 m up the road) and the high downstream attainable payload rate value (over 70 Mbps) in the stats.

Good to know though that in cases like this, one can still request a higher speed to see if it can work despite what the qualification tools. I'm sure others here will find this info valuable.
--
Everything Apple

ema13

join:2009-06-19
reply to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update

said by TSI Marc:

if you're on 6 meg legacy.. wet loop is best solution. is all I'm saying...

Well I'm on a 6 meg legacy DRY loop. What should I do?

You suggested there'd be something to help out legacy 6 meg folks »Re: Activation fee for speed increase but a representative says it will cost $50 to move to FTTN. That's same price new customers pay, so I don't see the help.

My setup was rock solid for years, but started getting intermittent drops (often while I'm traveling in need of my VPN) when Bell began upgrading their infrastructure about a year ago. It seems FTTN will be reliable, but $50 is too much for me.

It would be good if I could qualify for the $25 discount currently offered for buying a modem from Teksaavy. I explained that I'd purchased a $75 router from Teksaavy in the past, but the representative didn't for go it.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to TSI Marc

Which modems will be available for purchase?

Jebus05

@rogers.com

I read about 6 pages into this and saw no one mention it but I did skip the rest so sorry if it is a re-post...

Why is it cheaper to get the 50/10 plan with the 300 gig cap at 54.99 and pay the $25 max overages for a total of $80 a month when the unlimited package is $84.99 a month $5 more expensive?

hk987

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

Couple of questions:
1. Site says "Overage on all packages 50Mbps and higher will be charged at $0.25/GB." It does not list the maximum of $25. Does that not apply for 50/10 plan?
2. Any updates on when the modems will be available for purchase? and the cost?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Jebus05

said by Jebus05 :

I read about 6 pages into this and saw no one mention it but I did skip the rest so sorry if it is a re-post...

Why is it cheaper to get the 50/10 plan with the 300 gig cap at 54.99 and pay the $25 max overages for a total of $80 a month when the unlimited package is $84.99 a month $5 more expensive?

There is currently no max overage on the 50 meg tier, although Marc has indicated that's because he's trying to figure out what it should be. $25 doesn't make sense, he suggested $50 might work, but some of us were arguing that was out of proportion to the speed and that something like $35 or $40 would be more appropriate.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org