uniqs
share rss forum feed

CharlieB

join:2013-03-11
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Jon

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update

said by TSI Jon:

As long as the activation is completed on the 28th, the due date will always be for the 21st of every month. The monthly cycle still remains from the 28th to the 27th of the next month.

Thanks. One remaining clarification - what's the situation if the activation is delayed (i've been told it could be delayed up to 10 business days due to unforeseen circumstances).

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

If it gets delayed, your activation date gets revised and your billing date is fixed accordingly.
--
E-Services Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to nowhere

No 50/10 option even though stats say it's OK

said by nowhere:

The TekSavvy website says I would qualify for 50/10 but the Bell website says I wouldn't and my linestats seem to back up the Bell site.

Downstream line rate                     30252 kbps
 Upstream line rate                       5104 kbps
 Bearer Downstream payload rate           26352 kbps
 Bearer Upstream payload rate             4424 kbps
 Downstream attainable payload rate       26352 kbps
 Downstream attainable line rate          32612 kbps

Maybe a mistake with the TekSavvy service availability checker?

Interestingly, both Bell and TSI say I do NOT qualify for 50, but my line stats say I could easily handle it. These are my stats (pulled last year):

31216 kbps - Downstream line rate
9168 kbps - Upstream line rate
26928 kbps - Bearer Downstream payload rate
7904 kbps - Bearer Upstream payload rate
71456 kbps - Downstream attainable payload rate
85600 kbps - Downstream attainable line rate

29.9 dB - Downstream Training Margin
7.7 ms - Downstream delay
0.0 ms - Upstream delay
-9.7 dbm - Tx total power
13.9 dbm - FE Tx total power
1048 ft - VDSL Estimated Loop Length
920 ft - G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length
1184 ft - G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length

Not that I really care though. I have no need for 50/10 at this time.
--
Everything Apple

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Hey Eug,

Keep in mind that our tool to qualify may say you don't but we can still send a request to set you up with 50/10. If it's working, good for you. If not then you'll have to downgrade the plan back to 25/10.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

Thanks, but I have no interest at this time in getting 50/10 anyway. (The plans that would interest me are 15/10 and 25/10.) I just found it curious that both Bell and TSI's qualification tools say 50/10 is not possible despite the close proximity of the remote (300 m up the road) and the high downstream attainable payload rate value (over 70 Mbps) in the stats.

Good to know though that in cases like this, one can still request a higher speed to see if it can work despite what the qualification tools. I'm sure others here will find this info valuable.
--
Everything Apple

ema13

join:2009-06-19
reply to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update

said by TSI Marc:

if you're on 6 meg legacy.. wet loop is best solution. is all I'm saying...

Well I'm on a 6 meg legacy DRY loop. What should I do?

You suggested there'd be something to help out legacy 6 meg folks »Re: Activation fee for speed increase but a representative says it will cost $50 to move to FTTN. That's same price new customers pay, so I don't see the help.

My setup was rock solid for years, but started getting intermittent drops (often while I'm traveling in need of my VPN) when Bell began upgrading their infrastructure about a year ago. It seems FTTN will be reliable, but $50 is too much for me.

It would be good if I could qualify for the $25 discount currently offered for buying a modem from Teksaavy. I explained that I'd purchased a $75 router from Teksaavy in the past, but the representative didn't for go it.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to TSI Marc

Which modems will be available for purchase?

Jebus05

@rogers.com

I read about 6 pages into this and saw no one mention it but I did skip the rest so sorry if it is a re-post...

Why is it cheaper to get the 50/10 plan with the 300 gig cap at 54.99 and pay the $25 max overages for a total of $80 a month when the unlimited package is $84.99 a month $5 more expensive?

hk987

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

Couple of questions:
1. Site says "Overage on all packages 50Mbps and higher will be charged at $0.25/GB." It does not list the maximum of $25. Does that not apply for 50/10 plan?
2. Any updates on when the modems will be available for purchase? and the cost?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Jebus05

said by Jebus05 :

I read about 6 pages into this and saw no one mention it but I did skip the rest so sorry if it is a re-post...

Why is it cheaper to get the 50/10 plan with the 300 gig cap at 54.99 and pay the $25 max overages for a total of $80 a month when the unlimited package is $84.99 a month $5 more expensive?

There is currently no max overage on the 50 meg tier, although Marc has indicated that's because he's trying to figure out what it should be. $25 doesn't make sense, he suggested $50 might work, but some of us were arguing that was out of proportion to the speed and that something like $35 or $40 would be more appropriate.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Anon5524

@linode.com
reply to TSI Marc

I am still wondering if the unlimited upload for all plans is still being thought of.

Poser

join:2002-07-28

said by Anon5524 :

I am still wondering if the unlimited upload for all plans is still being thought of.

The bandwidth that is counted against the cap is your download only. Upload away!

nfsc

join:2011-11-05
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

QUESTION:

i have a POTS phone service along with a DSL legacy 5/0.8 connection. I do qualify for the 25/10 service as i already confirmed 3 times over. NOW, if i decide to install the 25/10 service on a second pair of wires coming into my house, do i have to pay dry loop? im wondering if there needs to be a physical connection between the two services so it registers as a wet loop.

If i have to pay dry loop and decide to have the 25/10 installed on the same line as my legacy connection instead, i'm guessing my legacy connection will be cancelled (since 25/10 is routed to a slightly different network, aka through a remote)...i do fear this will cause problems with my phone, where Bell literally pulls the plug on my POTS phone service as well.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to TSI Marc

Yes, that would count as a dry loop with the extra monthly fees installed, because it's a different line that doesn't have any voice service on it. It doesn't really make any sense to do what you're describing, if you have POTS you should just upgrade the DSL on it.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

HillCrest

join:2012-01-12
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by DrZEUS:

Wow I am paying $45.99 right now for 16/1 (300 gig) and at the new 15/1 pricing it's only $32.99...that is a huge cost saving! Any idea when these prices will kick in and will accounts be automatically adjusted accordingly?

actually, what we're likely to do is to give you the 15 meg price but leave you at your current speed..

Hello Marc,

I am with 16/1 (300G) too. As you said, I have to request a change for the new rate. So, where can I request it, phone, direct forum or pm you.

TIA and have a great day.

TSI Pierre
Baby, Wanna see what 300Gigs looks like?
Premium
join:2011-09-23
Chatham, ON

said by HillCrest:

said by TSI Marc:

said by DrZEUS:

Wow I am paying $45.99 right now for 16/1 (300 gig) and at the new 15/1 pricing it's only $32.99...that is a huge cost saving! Any idea when these prices will kick in and will accounts be automatically adjusted accordingly?

actually, what we're likely to do is to give you the 15 meg price but leave you at your current speed..

Hello Marc,

I am with 16/1 (300G) too. As you said, I have to request a change for the new rate. So, where can I request it, phone, direct forum or pm you.

TIA and have a great day.

Hey HillCrest,

Post it in the direct forum and we can set you up.

Thanks
--
TSI Pierre - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Chief Operating Officer

wally_walrus

join:2009-10-07
Orleans, ON

said by TSI Pierre:

Hey HillCrest,

Post it in the direct forum and we can set you up.

Thanks

But, but... I thought you told me the rate change will be automatic starting the next billing cycle

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

Any update on when we can expect to see new Business DSL packages for Ontario?

Hoping we'll either see a price drop, or availability of 50/10. Our address qualifies for 50/10 (the bell box is in our offices front yard). So If I can get to 50/10 for about the same price we pay now for 25/10, or maybe get dual 25/10's, it would be nice

derekm

join:2008-02-26
kudos:1
reply to TSI Marc

Thinking with all these rate changes now live, it might be worthwhile for a TSI blog post to update customers so they don't have to sift through all these posts to find relevant information, such as:

- why the rates have changed
- what the new rate structure is
-- EDIT: including unlimited upload?
- what other changes are coming down the pipe, specifically:
-- modem rentals coming up for purchase
-- new business rates/tiers coming up for availability

and that would lead into new posts when the modem rentals are finally abolished, and when the business tiers are up.

Been some time since the blog had an update, and this is very relevant content for your subscribers.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

said by derekm:

Thinking with all these rate changes now live, it might be worthwhile for a TSI blog post to update customers so they don't have to sift through all these posts to find relevant information, such as:

- why the rates have changed
- what the new rate structure is
-- EDIT: including unlimited upload?
- what other changes are coming down the pipe, specifically:
-- modem rentals coming up for purchase
-- new business rates/tiers coming up for availability

and that would lead into new posts when the modem rentals are finally abolished, and when the business tiers are up.

Been some time since the blog had an update, and this is very relevant content for your subscribers.

for sure.. we're still mid-throw though... much still left to do.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to nfsc

said by nfsc:

QUESTION:

i have a POTS phone service along with a DSL legacy 5/0.8 connection. I do qualify for the 25/10 service as i already confirmed 3 times over. NOW, if i decide to install the 25/10 service on a second pair of wires coming into my house, do i have to pay dry loop? im wondering if there needs to be a physical connection between the two services so it registers as a wet loop.

If i have to pay dry loop and decide to have the 25/10 installed on the same line as my legacy connection instead, i'm guessing my legacy connection will be cancelled (since 25/10 is routed to a slightly different network, aka through a remote)...i do fear this will cause problems with my phone, where Bell literally pulls the plug on my POTS phone service as well.

Yes, a second line is a dry-loop. If you can't make phone calls on the line, regardless of the presence of any other lines that can, it's a dry-loop.

Upgrading a wet loop from CO to FTTN generally doesn't result in any loss of POTS service, at least in my experience. You'll likely lose internet connectivity for a brief period and then will need to replace the modem to sync to the VDSL2 remote, but dial-tone is generally not affected for any appreciable amount of time.

Your mileage may vary of course but in my recent experience moving a business wet line to FTTN there was no service loss for voice.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

When moving a Wetline to A FTTN line its very simple all they do is run a jumper to the slam and then back out viola Internet added, when you change from dry to wet its Possible to be more but it can be as simple as a Programming change and its done no roll of a technician needed provided they do it right.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

nfsc

join:2011-11-05
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

YIt doesn't really make any sense to do what you're describing, if you have POTS you should just upgrade the DSL on it.

The legacy DSL connection I have is actually a backup connection for when my Teksavvy Cable connection is acting up.
Also, the legacy connection is part of a package, that is grandfathered. I guess this means I must call Primus and cancel my legacy connection.
Unless I get to keep my legacy connection and somehow be able to log in if i switch the modem to my speedtouch modem.

Thanks for the encouraging replies, SimplePanda, morisato

pileobunnies1

join:2009-06-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Never mind - my question was answered.

Neil007

@grouptelecom.net

Any new of when we will be able to buy modems for FIBE 25/10 or 50/10. It's really the only thing that is stopping me from switching from bell. Also, is there a charge if I want to switch from 15/10 to 25/10 after I sign up ?

ddurdle

join:2007-03-21
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Does the group rate still apply if you are with one already when upgrading from 6Mbps to 15Mbps?

Gwai Lo Dan

join:2007-01-24
L5B 0C8
reply to Gwai Lo Dan

said by Gwai Lo Dan:

said by Guspaz:

It's iffy, because the 2700HG-B is an ADSL2+ modem, but there is conflicting information about how well it actually does with ADSL2+ connections. Theoretically, it should work.

I hope it works fine...that's what I am using too! I will find out next week!

Well it hasn't been working fine unfortunately. The 2wire 2700 modem tends to disconnect hourly or so. The worst part is that it did this pretty much immediately after Bell setup the dry loop (tech #1) so I waited for tech #2 to address it, and he never showed. Now I get to wait another day from 12 - 9, weekdays only of course. (Teksavvy tech said the line was not good, so they will look at it on this visit, and I will try another modem when I am back in a week).

PS: Teksavvy: Your phone system is annoyingly complicated . If Kyle from Teksavvy leaves a phone message, there is no way to call him directly. Worse, as someone else recently commented, if I call the tech support number, I still have to choose the tech support option on the keypad. Then when I ask for Kyle, the person doesn't know who he is and is searching different directories.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

What do your line stats look like?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Neil007

said by Neil007 :

Any new of when we will be able to buy modems for FIBE 25/10 or 50/10. It's really the only thing that is stopping me from switching from bell. Also, is there a charge if I want to switch from 15/10 to 25/10 after I sign up ?

Marc has said this will be within a week or two (modem fees).

Gwai Lo Dan

join:2007-01-24
L5B 0C8
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

What do your line stats look like?

I had posted my stats here, in another discussion »[DSL] Switching to "HIGH SPEED DSL 15" - Additional modem charge.

I'll try another modem next week, but again the tech from TSI said the stats didn't look good. It just ticked me off that the tech #2 didn't knock on the door, when I had the issue immediately after the bell setup. So now I have to take another day off. An actual appointment would be nice (e.g., 2 pm) as opposed to a 9 hour period.