join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to nfsc

Re: [DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update

said by nfsc:

QUESTION:

i have a POTS phone service along with a DSL legacy 5/0.8 connection. I do qualify for the 25/10 service as i already confirmed 3 times over. NOW, if i decide to install the 25/10 service on a second pair of wires coming into my house, do i have to pay dry loop? im wondering if there needs to be a physical connection between the two services so it registers as a wet loop.

If i have to pay dry loop and decide to have the 25/10 installed on the same line as my legacy connection instead, i'm guessing my legacy connection will be cancelled (since 25/10 is routed to a slightly different network, aka through a remote)...i do fear this will cause problems with my phone, where Bell literally pulls the plug on my POTS phone service as well.

Yes, a second line is a dry-loop. If you can't make phone calls on the line, regardless of the presence of any other lines that can, it's a dry-loop.

Upgrading a wet loop from CO to FTTN generally doesn't result in any loss of POTS service, at least in my experience. You'll likely lose internet connectivity for a brief period and then will need to replace the modem to sync to the VDSL2 remote, but dial-tone is generally not affected for any appreciable amount of time.

Your mileage may vary of course but in my recent experience moving a business wet line to FTTN there was no service loss for voice.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

When moving a Wetline to A FTTN line its very simple all they do is run a jumper to the slam and then back out viola Internet added, when you change from dry to wet its Possible to be more but it can be as simple as a Programming change and its done no roll of a technician needed provided they do it right.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

nfsc

join:2011-11-05
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

YIt doesn't really make any sense to do what you're describing, if you have POTS you should just upgrade the DSL on it.

The legacy DSL connection I have is actually a backup connection for when my Teksavvy Cable connection is acting up.
Also, the legacy connection is part of a package, that is grandfathered. I guess this means I must call Primus and cancel my legacy connection.
Unless I get to keep my legacy connection and somehow be able to log in if i switch the modem to my speedtouch modem.

Thanks for the encouraging replies, SimplePanda, morisato

pileobunnies1

join:2009-06-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Never mind - my question was answered.

Neil007

@grouptelecom.net

Any new of when we will be able to buy modems for FIBE 25/10 or 50/10. It's really the only thing that is stopping me from switching from bell. Also, is there a charge if I want to switch from 15/10 to 25/10 after I sign up ?

ddurdle

join:2007-03-21
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Does the group rate still apply if you are with one already when upgrading from 6Mbps to 15Mbps?

Gwai Lo Dan

join:2007-01-24
L5B 0C8
reply to Gwai Lo Dan

said by Gwai Lo Dan:

said by Guspaz:

It's iffy, because the 2700HG-B is an ADSL2+ modem, but there is conflicting information about how well it actually does with ADSL2+ connections. Theoretically, it should work.

I hope it works fine...that's what I am using too! I will find out next week!

Well it hasn't been working fine unfortunately. The 2wire 2700 modem tends to disconnect hourly or so. The worst part is that it did this pretty much immediately after Bell setup the dry loop (tech #1) so I waited for tech #2 to address it, and he never showed. Now I get to wait another day from 12 - 9, weekdays only of course. (Teksavvy tech said the line was not good, so they will look at it on this visit, and I will try another modem when I am back in a week).

PS: Teksavvy: Your phone system is annoyingly complicated . If Kyle from Teksavvy leaves a phone message, there is no way to call him directly. Worse, as someone else recently commented, if I call the tech support number, I still have to choose the tech support option on the keypad. Then when I ask for Kyle, the person doesn't know who he is and is searching different directories.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

What do your line stats look like?

SimplePanda

join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Neil007

said by Neil007 :

Any new of when we will be able to buy modems for FIBE 25/10 or 50/10. It's really the only thing that is stopping me from switching from bell. Also, is there a charge if I want to switch from 15/10 to 25/10 after I sign up ?

Marc has said this will be within a week or two (modem fees).

Gwai Lo Dan

L5B 0C8
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

What do your line stats look like?

I had posted my stats here, in another discussion »[DSL] Switching to "HIGH SPEED DSL 15" - Additional modem charge.

I'll try another modem next week, but again the tech from TSI said the stats didn't look good. It just ticked me off that the tech #2 didn't knock on the door, when I had the issue immediately after the bell setup. So now I have to take another day off. An actual appointment would be nice (e.g., 2 pm) as opposed to a 9 hour period.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to SimplePanda

said by SimplePanda:

said by Neil007 :

Marc has said this will be within a week or two (modem fees).

That'll be just for the buying a new Sagemcom or buying out your current Sagemcom/Cellpipe.

I think the BYOM situation well take a while longer as there so many variables to the matter.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to Gwai Lo Dan

Your stats look fine except for the upstream bug due to the IKNS remote. Do you have another modem to try?

Gwai Lo Dan

L5B 0C8

I have an old speedtouch 5200 I'll try next weekend when I am back at my new condo apartment. If no better, I could borrow a speedstream 516 to try that as well. All to do, starting next week!

Brainbug

join:2011-06-28
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TypeS

It appears that the Cisco EHWIC-VA-DSL-A will work on both Stinger and non-Stinger VDSL connections.

The compatibility chart shows:
DSLAM - Chipset
Alcatel ASAM7300 - Broadcom
Alcatel ISAM 7302 - Broadcom
Ericsson EDA2.1 - Broadcom
ECI Hi-Focus 480 - Infineon
Fujitsu FDX Hub 1000 - Infineon
Fujitsu FDX Hub 1000 - Texas Instruments
Huawei MA5600 - Conexant
Lucent Stinger - Conexant
Nokia D500 - Globespan

Granted, an 1941/2901 with a VDSL card is going to run over $1000. I wonder if the 887VA has the same compatibility as the HWIC?

s_tux_g

join:2012-03-03

It appears that the Cisco EHWIC-VA-DSL-A will work on both Stinger and non-Stinger VDSL connections.

The compatibility chart shows:
DSLAM - Chipset
Alcatel ASAM7300 - Broadcom
Alcatel ISAM 7302 - Broadcom
Ericsson EDA2.1 - Broadcom
ECI Hi-Focus 480 - Infineon
Fujitsu FDX Hub 1000 - Infineon
Fujitsu FDX Hub 1000 - Texas Instruments
Huawei MA5600 - Conexant
Lucent Stinger - Conexant
Nokia D500 - Globespan

Granted, an 1941/2901 with a VDSL card is going to run over $1000. I wonder if the 887VA has the same compatibility as the HWIC?

No it won't. I have two of them and they are sitting on the shelf until Bell switches me to 7330 They are Broadcom chipset based. I used them for ADSL2+ connection plan and had to replaced with HWIC-2FE (ethernet module) and two Cellpipe modems after switching to VDSL2 (2 x 25/10).

s_tux_g

reply to Brainbug

This table is showing only ADSLx interoperability of Cisco and Bell equipment.

Brainbug

join:2011-06-28

Good to know,

Thanks for the link to that table, very useful.

Which router are you using the HWICs with, if you don't mind me asking.

s_tux_g

Cisco 1921 router

s_tux_g

reply to Brainbug

I'd like to clarify that regardless Cisco interoperability list EHWIC-VA-DSL-A module and 880VA series are working fine with Alcatel 7330. The problem only is Stinger remotes with their quasi-VDSL2 implementation.