spc
Search similar:

uniqs

chipschap
@hawaiiantel.net

chipschap to tld

Anon

to tld

Re: TurboTax suddenly starts screwing Linux users?

Hmm. I tried the user agent workaround and no luck (I'm using Chrome on Linux).

What did work was turning off Ghostery from blocking in the Intuit domain. Then I got the 'unsupported do you really want to do this' screen and was able to get on with business.

Interesting that Ghostery was the problem (for me) and not AdBlock.

And at this point I'm finding it hard to blame Intuit.
tld
join:2002-12-19

tld

Wow...hadn't looked at this since a few days after my original post...didn't realize what I started .

Anyway...to Intuit's credit, it appears they've finally recognized the issue and hopefully will address it:

»turbotax.intuit.com/supp ··· 228.html

...so I think this may have just been a bug specific to Firefox under Linux.

In any case, my plan to switch to one of their competitors pretty much came to an end when I realized that H&R Block and TaxAct can't import from my Fidelity Investments account the way TurboTax can. Sticking to my principles on that one was not worth the hours of manual crap that would add to doing my tax...no way.
said by chipschap :

Hmm. I tried the user agent workaround and no luck (I'm using Chrome on Linux).

That's strange, as other users are reporting the Chrome already does display the link to by pass the browser requirement. For what it's worth, I discoverers that Opera does as well, and I'll probably just use unless they fix the Firefox issue first.

Tom

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

2 recommendations

TuxRaiderPen2 to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:
wintard lusers? Really?
Yes. This is why I don't support or work on computers infested with that stuff. Retarded uses who will click on anything. One of biggest headaches ever, and I got rid of it all with a simple change of OS.
said by JohnInSJ:
Look, it's a for profit company. Supporting an OS representing 0.01% of its customer base by letting any OS be used, and not just the two major OSes that virtually all its users use and its support people are trained on, costs more money than its worth.
And if they want to engage the Linux community they can get support pretty cheap to probably free. NEXT.
said by JohnInSJ:
Perhaps it is you who is missing the big picture? Change the user agent, or change companies, but seriously this isn't a personal attack on you or Linux, it's just a simple support decision.
UAS is NOT the answer. Period. Coding your website OS and BROWSER AGNOSTIC. If you do that the ONLY problem your likely to have is with guess who and what browser, and I personally don't care.

I support companies who SUPPORT LINUX. Hinder Linux use, outright don't support it, and I don't use it. Period.

Far too many here just roll over and ignore this. It IS an ATTACK on Linux and ME as a Linux user.
said by GILXA1226:
I wouldn't consider switching my user agent a 'bunch of hoops'...
Glad you have time to deal with it, but I don't. Will a wildcard on *.intuit.com work or do you have to do it on a bunch of domain names you have to keep whacking at it to find. Plus do you have to give it a specific version of browser name. Which version? And in my browser, Konqi (even 4 if its anything other than firecrap (thats right I don't use it or like it!) 3.6x, then your out of luck! (YES! 100% that is an ISSUE WITH Konqi upto and including 4.8.5, maybe its changed in 4.9, in not allowing it to be set to what you type in) NO THANKS. That is HOOPS I am not jumping through.
said by GILXA1226:
why just DEB? There is more to the Linux world than just Debian based distros. Why just doing DEBs you lock out a large part of the population.
Simple:

1) RH and its derivatives told us desktop users to go get stuffed! So RH and its descendants can do the same GET STUFFED!

2) RPM Dependency hell! Been there done that. NO THANKS! I've had to deal with this crap on CentOS on a server where a Debian based server was a simple apt-get install xyz and it said you need this too, I am going to install it, proceed? YES! Get on with life, get things done.

3) Like *Buntu or not, *Buntu based and thus Debian based systems are some of the largest numbers of Linux on PERSONAL NON SERVER systems. Thus having a DEB on a PPA easy for 99.99999% of these users to install it either via Snyaptic or CLI via apt-get install filemytaxes

4) Even more importantly I just hate RPM and RH, so screw'em!
said by GILXA1226:
So a simple user agent switch is ok... so then you would be fine with using Turbo Tax?
1) No UAS is not a solution.

2) No I despise intuit and their crap tax software. I used TaxCut while under the influence of the FlavorAde, till I moved to a real OS.
said by GILXA1226 See ProfileI love your enthusiasm when it comes to linux, but please, stop with the petty name calling, you not only make people dismiss the arguments you make, you make other linux users look dumb. [/QUOTE :
We won't agree on this, ever, period. I call it like I see it and I will derogatory and defamatory names towards m$ and its crap wintard software. Your stance on this tells me that you or others like you may not be using Linux 100%. I do, there is no wintard machines in my user or control personally or work wise. I don't run home to try this or that in a VM with infested software.
said by me1212:
If you want one make one. Isn't that what linux is all about? The freedom to make/change software however you want to? Complain all you want, but unless you actually get off your butt and do something then all you have are empty words.
That mantra, meme is old and tired, and one holding back Linux on the personal desktop. This is not a help. And turnabout is fair play, OK... so YOU code it?

I do NOT program this type of software. I have zero interest in it, and what I do program is limited to a very niche area in regards to radio, wx stations, and a few related areas.

And thats correct I do NOT install or use wintard crap in a VM or on an infested machine just to get work done. I resolve the issue on Linux. Those doing so just allow this cycle to perpetuate itself in other areas. For taxes that means using a web site. I would much prefer a software package. That pretty much is the only thing that Linux doesn't have a solution for, except lamer gamer crap.. which well you get the hint. I don't care about lame games.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

2 recommendations

No_Strings

Despite your obsession with erecting barriers to the contrary, you offer one sound piece of advice:
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

Get on with life, get things done.

Physician, heal thyself.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

said by me1212:
If you want one make one. Isn't that what linux is all about? The freedom to make/change software however you want to? Complain all you want, but unless you actually get off your butt and do something then all you have are empty words.
That mantra, meme is old and tired, and one holding back Linux on the personal desktop. This is not a help. And turnabout is fair play, OK... so YOU code it?

Why would I code it? I don't use tax software I use a CPA for tax stuff. So, I really don't care if linux has tax software or not. All I'm saying is, if you are gonna complain about it then do something about it and if you ain't then ether find someone who will or stop whining.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

Far too many here just roll over and ignore this. It IS an ATTACK on Linux and ME as a Linux user.

No one is attacking you, or Linux. Rather, they simply don't care that all 10 of you exist (in their user pool.) That's the reality of being a fringe OS user. No one needs to care about you, so you need to work around that.

And yeah, you're a fringe OS user if you're using Linux as your daily driver OS.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

I call it like I see it and I will derogatory and defamatory names towards m$ and its crap wintard software.

Here, let me fix this for you.
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

I'm far more interested in being right than I am in being effective.

I gotta say that I admire the chutzpah of a guy who admits in public, repeatedly and vociferously, that he doesn't expect to be taken seriously, even by those who would otherwise generally share his aims.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

It IS an ATTACK on Linux and ME as a Linux user.

How's that persecution complex coming along?

Steve
I know your IP address

Tustin, CA

Steve

said by dave:

WHY DO U HATE LINUX??????????
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

said by Steve:

said by dave:

WHY DO U HATE LINUX??????????

That IS an ATTACK on ME as a smartarse.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to Steve

to Steve
said by Steve:
Here, let me fix this for you.
said by TuxRaiderPen2:
I'm far more interested in being right than I am in being effective.

Well your wrong. I am not always right, and I don't know it all. Any one saying that in IT, should be fired. Or any job.
said by Steve:
I gotta say that I admire the chutzpah of a guy who admits in public, repeatedly and vociferously, that he doesn't expect to be taken seriously, even by those who would otherwise generally share his aims.
Well, first, I do NOT think you share my aims or goals even in a "generally" label.

Quite simply if your using winatard crap, your not helping Linux.

Its real simple your either for/with us and Linux and using it 100%, or your part of the PROBLEM in using it for this task or that task.. ie: servers in the datacenter but using wintard desktops.

Use the best tool for the task! I do, the BEST LINUX TOOL.

All too many here, you included, don't see the issue with Secure|Restricted boot. First they came .... but I was not.... Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it or be extinguised by it. This is cleary a Pearl Harbor event for Linux.

UEFI, is over kill for a BIOS... A shell, a player, a browser, oohey gooety pretty interface, OH PUHLEASE! Need to improve the BIOS to adapt for newer hardware and advances in hardware? ABSOLUTELY! 100%.

PS: Those who whine about using m$, wintard, are the ones we know are not members of the cliche and club! And I continue to ask if your NOT using *Nix/BSD etc. really what is your point in being a UNIX FORUM? ? I don't hang out in the wintard fora here or elsewhere. NO partial use doesn't give you an admission ticket.

I also happen to know from outside exchanges that the very silent majority agrees with ME.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by TuxRaiderPen2:

PS: Those who whine about using m$, wintard, are the ones we know are not members of the cliche and club! And I continue to ask if your NOT using *Nix/BSD etc. really what is your point in being a UNIX FORUM? ? I don't hang out in the wintard fora here or elsewhere. NO partial use doesn't give you an admission ticket.

I use Linux, OS X, Windows 8, Android, iOS, and WP8. Which forums am I allowed to be in here at DSLR? Am I cool enough to be in the club?

Steve
I know your IP address

Tustin, CA

3 recommendations

Steve to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

Quite simply if your using winatard crap, your not helping Linux.

What if not everybody is trying to "help Linux", but merely get their work done and get on with life? Many will make use of the tools with the least friction in their own environment - such as to use Turbo Tax on Windows rather than struggle with Linux.

The problem is not that you're promoting Linux - I think that's great - but you suggest that anybody who is anything but 100% Linux is simply an enemy to be disregarded. Sure, you're entitled to your view, but those who do like Linux but have a more adult view (cross-platform, get their work done, etc.) are totally turned off.

You are ineffective at getting people to see things your way. Maybe you don't care.

And you ask why *I* am in this forum? I've been using UNIX since before your daddy rolled over panting, so I think I pretty much qualify.

Steve

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

1 recommendation

firephoto to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

I also happen to know from outside exchanges that the very silent majority agrees with ME.

Just quoting something generally relevant not a direct correlation to the above.. fyi. And I generally agree with your viewpoint also but it's mostly because I don't agree with a fixed mentality carried over from various industries that act in a way that comes off as fearing change to the status quo. Probably the biggest unspoken is the fact that great solutions have the potential to kill off entire economies in the whole computer related service industry. It's kind of like building cars that never break down or wear out, billions would vanish from the economies around the world that deal with service and repair.

One situation is that you have people who do as customers want and are are fine with satisfying that want situation rather than creating solutions that could be considered closer to perfect. It's like buying cheap items now, and again in a year you buy cheap items again even if they are the same exact items to replace what is broke or worn. You save money now, but spend more over 2 years and this is the same for software solutions too and when you involve big businesses the bottom line is now not at any time in the future. Does it build empires? no, it is more like building main street on a movie set. looks great from the street, looks hollow from the alley.

Turbo tax, it's kind of a turd, those who love it in some cases use the windows native client version rather than ever dealing with the online web page (if you can call it a web page) version.

Linux? It's not as unpopular as people make it out. You mention android and they tell you how much it's not Linux but it is. You mention the desktop and they call it miniscule. You mention servers and they give red hat a default standard status. Of all the people I know that aren't in any computer related service job, 90% would be just as successful, get just as much done, and spend the same amount of time doing it on Windows, Mac, or Linux because they really just aren't that into the whole "how it works" thing. The people in the industry are never around these people, the majority of people, the people who are a month away from forgetting how to use their computer, their phone, their tablet.

The people that "want" don't know and they don't care and they buy because of what they are sold and not for what they need and others will use any means to make sure this is the status quo. Pointing this out upsets a lot of people too.

Tux, you're held to a higher standard with one version expressed to you here and those in the clique justifying their behavior elsewhere. Smile and shake hands on the street and cuss about them as you walk away, what a way to live a life for so many.

I'm usually bad luck and cause topics to disappear so i'm sorry to whoever gets lucky enough to read this in the next minutes before back room whining occurs. (which is as pathetic as it is sad considering most of what is here is because of a culture of openness and freedoms)

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

2 recommendations

No_Strings to TuxRaiderPen2

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

Its real simple your either for/with us and Linux and using it 100%, or your part of the PROBLEM in using it for this task or that task.. ie: servers in the datacenter but using wintard desktops.

And yet, you eschew Fedora because of some perceived transgression and hate Red Hat because [insert vague RPM reference].

GNOME is denigrated with the same fervor, juvenile lexicon and AOL grammar you use in describing Microsoft products.

You regularly deride IBM and Intel even though few, if any companies have done more to support or defend Linux.

You taint your kernel with binary blobs because they just work but claim the moral high ground over someone who runs GPL video drivers but uses Turbo Tax once a year in a VM.

By your own vaunted standards, you are part of the problem.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

UEFI, is over kill for a BIOS... A shell, a player, a browser, oohey gooety pretty interface, OH PUHLEASE! Need to improve the BIOS to adapt for newer hardware and advances in hardware? ABSOLUTELY! 100%.

I suggest you immediately stop your employer from buying any computer that is sold with with UEFI firmware. In fact, you probably should refuse to work on any systems that you've already got that have UEFI ROMs.

After all, you're either with the UEFI consortium or against them. Time to pick sides. If you boot a UEFI system your (sic) part of the PROBLEM.
vuarra
join:2005-10-11
Hamilton, ON

vuarra to tld

to tld
Let me get my marshmallows, this looks like a great flame war.

Perhaps a mod can lock this thread unless there's other info about Intuit and browser coding that prevents *nix users from using the tax service.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

1 recommendation

chrisretusn to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

This shows they are pandering to the wintard lusers when their web based system should be OS AGNOSTIC, Period.

If they are not accepting of Linux users, unless I go through a bunch of hoops to look like a wintard luser, then they don't deserve MY BUSINESS or my CLIENTS or MY AGENCY(S) or MY COMPANIES business either.

Till then the web based solutions will have to work, and I will use one which works on Linux with out a bunch of hoops ie: UAS and in my browser of choice, Konqueror. Fail either, your done. Thus, as much as I would prefer an INSTALLED application, TaxAct has been the solution. I was a long ardent supporter of H&R Blocks TaxCut when I was still under the influence of Flavorade of wintardand. They and others still leave Linux users for personal finance in the lurch, tax or finance software wise.

WOW, such animosity toward Windows users. Glad your a 100% Linux user. I am a 99% Linux User, well maybe a 95% Linux since in addition to Linux I use eComStation (OS/2), OS X, Haiku, FreeDOS and yes Windows (In virtual machines running on Slackware64). So I guess I must be 5% wintard. Though I suspect, just a wintard in your book.

i do not allow Windows in my house, except for the virtual machines mentioned above. Even at my business, our computer runs Linux. That said I am a realist. I have a lot of friends who use Windows, I help them with there problems so it is handy having a Windows install available on my Slackware64 machine. That and I do not want to do my taxes on-line, so I download and install in one of the Windows virtual machines I have on my Slackware 64 machine. Back before I retired, I administered, Windows, Unix, Novell and some other OS's, never cared much for Windows, but it was part of the job. If someone prefers to use Windows, fine with me. Though I have managed to convert a few over to Linux. My wife and kids have no choice in the matter.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, none of the big names support Linux, including TaxAct. Access via your browser is not supporting Linux. Why TurboTax decided to single out Linux via the User Agent, I can only guess. What i will say is, that is a dastardly deed. I have done my taxes with Turbo Tax since 2007. I would be extremely mad if I have been doing my taxes on-line and had to play User Agent tag to access my stuff. Glad i don't, at any rate I am switching to something else for 2012. So TurboTax lost my money. I will probably go with TaxAct, it's cheaper anyway.

Posted from Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

It IS an ATTACK on Linux and ME as a Linux user.

It's just business, sonny. Nothing personal.
tld
join:2002-12-19

1 recommendation

tld

Wow...I feel bad having even started this thread, given the flame-fest it turned into...

As I mentioned above (and apparently, hardly anyone paid attention), the fact that Chrome and Opera under Linux still let you bypass the browser check lead me to believe that my (and others) initial assumption that they expressly made a decision to not support Linux was incorrect. That made it seem more likely that this was just a bug specific to Firefox under Linux.

I also pointed out that Intuit had in fact entered a bug regarding this. I subscribed to updates for this and got a notice today that it's scheduled to be fixed in an update on 3/22:

»turbotax.intuit.com/supp ··· 228.html

So at worst this appears to be a very inconveniently timed blunder, especially around tax time.

TuxRaiderPen: Wow man...I'm about as big a Linux fan as you'll find, and have been using Linux exclusively (Gentoo mostly...except for Windows work necessities) since 2000...but seriously...you need to chill .

Tom

Steve
I know your IP address

Tustin, CA

Steve

said by tld:

Wow...I feel bad having even started this thread, given the flame-fest it turned into...

Not all of us feel quite so bad

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to tld

Premium Member

to tld
said by tld:

hell, I filed my taxes with turbotax online with firefox on Linux weeks before you even posted this. Took me all of 5 seconds to figure out I needed to change the UA and I did it and moved on.

Gotta love the zealots though. Really help to sell a platform, no matter what the platform is!

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz to TuxRaiderPen2

Premium Member

to TuxRaiderPen2
said by TuxRaiderPen2:

2) RPM Dependency hell! Been there done that. NO THANKS! I've had to deal with this crap on CentOS on a server where a Debian based server was a simple apt-get install xyz and it said you need this too, I am going to install it, proceed? YES! Get on with life, get things done.

apt-get +1

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

1 recommendation

rexbinary to tld

Premium Member

to tld
said by tld:

Don't go feeling special, we can do this to ANY thread.