spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

powerout

@jillyred.net

FTTN/fibe and power outages

The hydro is kind of flaky here and it's one of the reasons I still have a regular phone line. Fibe is apparently coming soon and I've got a couple questions about reliability.

When bell installs fttn/fibe remotes are all lines that are CO fed moved to a remote or does that only happen when/if you order fibe service?

Are the remotes still power fed from the CO's backup batteries or generators? During power outages does the pots service stay up just as long as if it was CO fed?

llort

join:2006-10-30
Scarborough, ON
The remotes are powered from the c.o. and will stay up during a power outage. If your area is prone to power outages you should put your modem on a UPS so your service won't be interrupted. Bell will put you on a remote if deemed necessary and if it is available to you.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
That is incorrect. Not every remote as C.O. fed power... sometimes they have their own service from Hydro.
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to powerout
POTS service will remain active during a power outage with FTTN Fibe services.

llort

join:2006-10-30
Scarborough, ON
reply to zacron
said by zacron:

That is incorrect. Not every remote as C.O. fed power... sometimes they have their own service from Hydro.

Okay you got me wise guy. Some remotes ( and I am talking about remote dslams such as a stinger or 7330) are indeed powered directly by hydro power at the premesis. These are usually used in apartments and condos etc. They also have a small battery bank as a backup in case of power failure.