spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cyberdotone

join:2013-03-05
Boca Raton, FL

NAT/local loopback modem/ confirgurations for Uverse?

I'm currently on AT&T DSL using a older Alcatel modem that supports local loopback. I use it in 'bridge' mode, and have a router that takes care of PPPOE, etc.

I would like to move to Uverse, but my understanding is that the AT&T Uverse modems (Motorola and 2Wire) don't support local loopback. Are there any modems/configurations that work for local loopback?

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state

no

mmisek

join:2013-03-03
Cleburne, TX

said by Mangix:

no

--
Tier II Advanced Tech Support, AT&T U-verse
Fort Worth, Texas

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to cyberdotone

I think I was able to perform local loopback with the old Westell WireSpeed B90-36R516 modem, but not with the replacement Siemens SpeedStream 4100.

However, SBC used to allow two simultaneous connections; one DSL and one dial-up. I would take my old SMC Barricade 7004BR, which has both parallel and serial ports, disable the DHCP server, and connect one of the LAN ports to my regular router. Then I would connect an old SupraFAXModem 288 to the serial port of the Barricade.

From the Barricade GUI, I'd issue standard Hayes modem commands to the SupraFAX, and establish a dial-up connection. Then I would look at the Barricade status page for the dial IP address. With that I would execute a 'route add' command at a command prompt, assigning the dial IP address as the gateway to my DSL public IP address block. This last was important, because it allowed me to loop back to my DSL IP address through the Barricade.

Assuming AT&T still allows it, one can use a computer with both an Ethernet adapter, and a dial-up modem. You have to break the U-verse connection first; disconnect, and don't allow a reconnect. Then dial a connection with the modem. Finally, with a functional dial connection, re-establish the U-verse connection. This will ensure that the default route gateway for all traffic to the Internet is through the U-verse device. Windows uses the last Internet connection made to build the routing table.

After that, you determine the U-verse IP address, and use it in the 'route add' command. Limit this to just the IP address on the U-verse RG. The modified route will send client commands to the RG through the modem.

Simultaneous dial and DSL connections.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by NormanS:

I think I was able to perform local loopback with the old Westell WireSpeed B90-36R516 modem, but not with the replacement Siemens SpeedStream 4100.

"Local loopback" is something the modem/router must support.
The B90-36R516 is a bridge modem with no pppoe client or routing support.

said by NormanS:

SBC used to allow two simultaneous connections; one DSL and one dial-up.

This can still be done.
If you are using two internet connections this is not local loopback.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by wayjac:

If you are using two internet connections this is not local loopback.

True enough. Maybe I don't understand why it would be inferior to route back to the HSI connection from the dial connection, vs. local loopback.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by NormanS:

Maybe I don't understand why it would be inferior to route back to the HSI connection from the dial connection, vs. local loopback.

I'm not saying your method is "inferior".

I was trying to point out that if your router supported " local loopback" the second internet connection would not be needed.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to cyberdotone

If you keep using your current modem it should work fine. The function is from the router if you're using the modem in bridge mode.
--
PRescott7-2097