how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

areacode304

join:2006-08-26
WV

VPN, Tomato, and Me

I've decided to sign up for a VPN, and. I've found that the standard Tomato firmware doesn't support OpenVPN, so I'm looking for a version that does. Problem: Too many to choose from.

Other than the lack of OpenVPN support, there is nothing that the standard Tomato firmware doesn't do that I require. With that in mind, would anyone be kind enough to recommend a Tomato mod that will best suit my needs?

Relevant info: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running Tomato 1.28

If more info is needed, let me know.

eibgrad

join:2010-03-15

I'm running an older ASUS WL-500gP V2 router w/ TomatoUSB (1.28), which does support OpenVPN (server and client), but not PPTP. Very stable, but development on that (by Teddy Bear) stopped a couple years ago. I recently installed the latest Shibby build and it seems very nice. Did run into some issues when try to run a PPTP server and PPTP client concurrently, so I returned to the original TomatoUSB. But other than that, I was impressed w/ the overall feature improvements (e.g., TOR client).

HarryH3

join:2005-02-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to areacode304

It can be a real challenge to find the right version for a particular router, with the feature set that you want. I have this one: Tomato Firmware v1.28.7633 .3-Toastman-VLAN-IPT-ND ND VPN running on an old WRT54Gv2. I just setup the VPN server last night and now I have to get my laptop on a different network to test the connection.

There are some (somewhat vague) download instructions on this page: »tomatousb.org/forum/t-379538/new···n-builds You'll need to browse the readme files to track down how to determine just which build you need for your particular router. It is a PITA but once you get it running it is pretty awesome.