Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to amashmallow

Premium Member

to amashmallow

Re: Coolant tank deteriorates/bubbles for '02 Honda Civic EX

I smell a rat. Blueish color? The overflow tank/coolant reservoir is a type of plastic that doesn't melt unless something other than antifreeze is put in them.

I would get a sample of this blueish stuff and take it to the Dealer.

Sounds like someone contaminated the coolant with something.

2001-2005 Honda Civic Coolant Reservoir - OES Genuine
List Price:$35.34
Our Price:$29.95
»www.drivewire.com/vehicl ··· ry-tank/

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

A coolant tank won't melt when the engine is operating at normal temperatures. 11 years is nothing for a car. I drive a 99 and I'd trust it to take me anywhere and I've had a couple of cars that were just short of 20 years old that I trusted as much (both got totaled in accidents - neither being my fault lol). As long as you properly maintain your car, especially a Honda or a Toyota, you can expect at least a couple of decades of good service.

They screwed something up.. Either put something that shouldn't be in your cooling system, failed to burp (which could lead to inefficient cooling system and overheating) or who knows what. That's what they pay their insurance for. To fix any damage that they may cause through incompetence.

amashmallow
@parsons.com

amashmallow to Doctor Olds

Anon

to Doctor Olds
Doctor Olds: The initial quote from the shop for replacing the coolant reservoir/tank/radiator (are they all the same?) is $215.00 plus labor & tax, does this sound right? Where is the antifreeze box located at ? I returned to the shop this morning attempting to get the sample of that blueish-looking gel/plastic that was lurking around top of coolant tank, only to discover that most of it has since been removed/gone. But I think I still managed to scrap a tiny bit of it. Where can I take it to for verification pls?

Thanks all!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Did you ever take the sample to a Dealer to try to determine what it was?