spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BobBass
join:2008-12-03
Exton, PA

BobBass

Looking for soundbar that can be controlled by Comcast remot

Does anyone know of a soundbar (connected with optical) that can be controlled (only need volume) by the Comcast remote?

Apparently some people have gotten their VIZIO soundbars to respond to their remotes, but they have to hit "AUX" to change sound levels and then "CABLE" to get back to normal operation.

I guess you could always tape the soundbar remote to the bottom of the Comcast remote and do it that way, but it sure would be nice to be able to use just the regular Comcast remote.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

3 edits

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

All of the full cable box (not the little DTA remote) Comcast remotes offer a volume "punch-through". Look in the manual for the section called "Changing the Volume Lock". This tells the remote to use the AUX device for the volume keys instead of the TV no need to keep pressing the device buttons back and forth between TV and AUX. So you should be able to use any sound bar that has a compatible IR code in the AUX section of the remote codes. Most of the big names are in the "audio receiver" section (Panasonic, Sony, Yamaha, Bose, Polk, Harmon/Kardon). Vizio is not and requires a bunch of manual IR code setup, but is doable.
»customer.comcast.com/remotes/

If you have the brand new XR2 the volume lock info is here:
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ming_vr2

Depending on your needs, the Yamaha YAS-101 is a great sound bar for a smaller room or bedroom and often goes on sale for much less then MSRP.
»usa.yamaha.com/products/ ··· yas-101/
BobBass
Exton, PA

BobBass

WOW! Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

The Yamaha is one that I was considering. All we're looking for is to add a little "oomph" and CLARITY to the sound of our new Samsung 46" UNES7100 LED. There are a bunch of soundbars out there.

Yamaha codes are indeed listed under "Setup Codes for Audio Amps & Receivers" in the Comcast remote manual.

I hate to be a dummy, but you're saying I would program the AUX button to control a Yamaha sound device and then do the "Global Unlock" process?
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to BobBass

to BobBass
said by BobBass:

Does anyone know of a soundbar (connected with optical) that can be controlled (only need volume) by the Comcast remote?

Actually, Boston Accoustics & Polk make soundbars, that (the soundbar ITSELF) can learn IR codes from any remote - even the TV remote itself! This way, you don't have to worry if your programable (Comcast) remote will have the right code for "X" brand of soundbar. And yes, they have optical & analog inputs...
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

4 edits

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459 to BobBass

Premium Member

to BobBass
said by BobBass:

WOW! Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

The Yamaha is one that I was considering. All we're looking for is to add a little "oomph" and CLARITY to the sound of our new Samsung 46" UNES7100 LED. There are a bunch of soundbars out there.

Yamaha codes are indeed listed under "Setup Codes for Audio Amps & Receivers" in the Comcast remote manual.

I hate to be a dummy, but you're saying I would program the AUX button to control a Yamaha sound device and then do the "Global Unlock" process?

Yes program whatever Yamaha code works (works best) to AUX.

You may have to try a few of the code listed. Check that power works for both on and off, I've encountered Yamaha receivers that only respond to the power button on the Comcast remote as a "Power On" command not a power toggle (i.e. on/off).

However, the global unlock actually basically undoes the punch-through I was referring to.

I forgot the Comcast manual for the remotes is actually really terribly written and doesn't tell you how to change the global volume lock device.

Here's the instructions for setting the volume to AUX:

Setting Global Volume Lock
quote:
Global Volume Lock will force the volume and mute keys to be controlled by one device.
1.Press and hold the "Setup" key until a device key blinks twice.
2.Type in the code 993. A device key should blink twice.
3.Press and release the device key for the device you want the volume locked to. (in this case AUX)
4.You will get two blinks if the lock is successful.

SpHeRe31459

1 edit

SpHeRe31459 to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by BobBass:

Actually, Boston Accoustics & Polk make soundbars, that (the soundbar ITSELF) can learn IR codes from any remote - even the TV remote itself! This way, you don't have to worry if your programable (Comcast) remote will have the right code for "X" brand of soundbar. And yes, they have optical & analog inputs...

Yep, as does the Yamaha I linked to. The only obnoxious thing with Samsung TVs is that if the soundbar learns your TV's volume codes and then you turn your TV's internal speakers off (which is normal when you have a soundbar or receiver) the Samsung will then display a "TV audio off" every time you press vol/up down.
So with a Samsung TV it's usually better to use the soundbar's own vendor codes (if possible).
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by SpHeRe31459:

The only obnoxious thing with Samsung TVs is that if the soundbar learns your TV's volume codes and then you turn your TV's internal speakers off (which is normal when you have a soundbar or receiver) the Samsung will then display a "TV audio off" every time you press vol/up down.
So with a Samsung TV it's usually better to use the soundbar's own vendor codes (if possible).

OR, you can just use ANY (other) code for the volume adjustment, under the (CC) AUX key, then prog it into the soundbar via the learn feature. Again, with a learning soundbar, you basically never have to worry about (future) codes, since it learns directly from whatever remote you're using.

FYI, a couple months ago, WOOT had Boston Acoustics refurbed TV25's f/$145, delivered; got one & works great.

bobs31
@areti.net

bobs31 to BobBass

Anon

to BobBass
ZVOX will learn any remote.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich
Right so even if you pick another TV brand you'll still have to configure the AUX device and AUX volume punch-through on the Comcast remote... So the instructions I posted are still useful...
BobBass
Exton, PA

BobBass to SpHeRe31459

to SpHeRe31459
FYI, I changed the "TV Speaker" to "External Speaker" and hit the volume control. No annoying "audio off" display appeared.

Samsung must have wised up and eliminated that "feature."
BobBass

BobBass to bobs31

to bobs31
I looked at ZVOX, but the 430HSD, which is the configuration I'm looking at, does NOT have that feature. It's probably a generation behind the models to which you refer. The other problem with that one is that when you turn off the "virtual surround" feature, it shuts off two of the four speakers! I contacted them about it and they got back saying they have no plans to upgrade that model.

I'm really looking for an actual "soundbar" type to hang below the TV using the vertical bars of the articulated mount. I also am looking for EQ of some sort and that is a feature that seems to be sorely lacking in most of these. Don't really want or need the sub-woofer, but I may end up spending the extra $ to get the features I want.
BobBass

BobBass

After researching this purchase for WEEKS and now with some thoughts in mind from DSLREPORTS members' input, it looks like I'm going to go with the JBL Cinema SB 200. It has all the features I'm looking for except for EQ, but that is virtually impossible to find. Many reviewers used the word "clarity" in their descriptions, and that's what I'm most interested in. Kinda bizarre that JBL cannot be found at HHGREGG or BESTBUY but is available and in stock at my local...WALMART! I'll be heading there tomorrow.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S ADVICE!
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

Very cool, let us know how you like it

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to BobBass

Premium Member

to BobBass
Reviews on Amazon are very good as long as you don't need the Bluetooth and plan to connect with optical.

»www.amazon.com/JBL-Cinem ··· a+SB+200
BobBass
Exton, PA

1 recommendation

BobBass

Picked up the JBL this morning for the regular store selling price of $248. Stopped by Lowe's on the way home for some black heavy duty cable ties. Brought it in the house, unboxed it, read the instructions, suspended it from the TV mount, made the optical and AC connections, plugged it in, fired everything up and it is working great!

For some reason the remote gave me some agita for about five minutes. It had one of those little plastic shims to prevent the battery from making contact which I removed, but still no response. I removed the battery and it checked out at 3.3V. Put it back and still nothing. Pulled it again and rubbed the battery on my shirt, replaced it, still nothing. Then, I thought it might be an issue with the proximity to the TV. I shut off the TV and then the unit responded. MIXED EMOTIONS FOR SURE. Fired up the TV again and everything was working as it should including the remote. WHO KNOWS?

I then paired the JBL with the volumes & mute of the Comcast remote as per instructions...WORKED PERFECTLY THE FIRST TIME! The Bluetooth streaming is not important to me. I'll give that a shot at a later time.

The sound? HUGE improvement over the onboard speakers. More highs and lows, although the latter will not blow anyone away. That wasn't a major consideration, anyway. What's nice is even after only having it running for a few hours, I noticed that you can keep it at an overall lower DB level than the original speakers and hear dialog just fine. There are also "finer gradation levels" of sound. BTW, I'm a 64 year old musician whose ears have been ravaged by innumerable gigs over the years, and clarity is one of the main reasons we needed this.

So, if anyone is looking to improve the overall sound of their new thin flatscreen and retain use of their cable remote for $250, this is a viable option.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. This is a Fabulous Forum!

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you got a great deal.