how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Navean

join:2013-02-24
Sherman Oaks, CA

Fusion Phone Support

I noticed that the DSL Extreme website has pretty much nothing about the phone service on their website so I looked at Sonic.net (the phone provider). They have a ton of information about the phone service and most of the features require you to log onto »members.sonic.net/ (just in the voicemail section you can see how many things are controlled only via the member page »wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Voice_Mail).

I contacted sonic.net to see if I had an account with them so I could set up things such as getting a text when I get a new email. I got this response "As for your member section question, you do not have access to Member Tools but you should contact DSLExtreme for more information on what content they have available for you."

I then contacted DSL Ex tech support via email asking where I could access the phone features and got this response:

"Currently, you can manage many of the features using star codes. See below for a complete list.

Star Codes
*67 Caller-ID blocking. Dial this code before your outbound call to disable caller ID for the next call. Please note that there will not be a dial tone after dialing *67; simply continue dialing. You can permanently block Caller-ID, see Voice Options for more information.
*69 Last Call Return. Will.... " etc etc (long list of * codes).

None of which give me the control over my phone that I want. So I ask here. How do I access these important phone control features? There is nothing in the DSLEx member section about the phone, nothing searchable....

Anyone know?

Thanks!

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17
Hi Navean See Profile,

Unfortunately Sonic doesn't currently have a full API that allows us to integrate those features into our platform. It is one of the features that we have been requesting and hope to have in the near future. In the meantime the basic phone features can be controlled by the stars codes from your phone as our support team indicated. We hope to have the ability to manage via our Members section in the near future.

Thanks
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

BartmanLA

join:2001-12-02
Los Angeles, CA
Where can we find the list of star codes and how to use the features that come with the telephone service on Fusion??? I was looking around the knowledge base but it just gave general descriptions, nothing specific on how to use it. Help please!

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:28

1 recommendation

We're still working to get everything posted up in a nice, user-friendly format, including that user control page for some of the features; sorry that's not up yet. In the meantime, let me get something up for you here:

Settings we need to enable/disable for you (at least, until we get that control page set up):
- The account has the option for international dialing, but that's disabled by default (since international calls have additional rates).
- Hide Caller ID: by default, your caller ID is shown when you make outbound calls. This can be set to hide your caller ID if you prefer.
- Disable call waiting: the account has call waiting enabled by default (so you can juggle two calls if needed). If you'd prefer, this can be disabled (so callers will get a busy signal instead if you're already on the phone).
- Call Forwarding: inbound calls can be forwarded to a phone number of your choice.

In addition to those settings which we can set or disable for you, there are also "Star codes" which you can dial yourself on your phone:

*67 - Hide your caller ID on your next outbound call (just dial *67 and then the phone number as usual).
*69 - Last Call Return. Will dial back the last person to call you, if possible.
*72 - Enable Call Forwarding.
*73 - Disable Call Forwarding
*77 - "Caller ID Blocking" Reject anonymous calls: if someone calls you and their caller ID is hidden, the call will connect normally. If you prefer, your account can be set to block anonymous callers with hidden caller ID.
*82 - Show your caller ID on your next outbound call (just dial *82 and then the phone number as usual).
*88 - Disable the above Caller ID Blocking so that anonymous calls go through again.

Last but certainly not least:
*99 - Access voicemail

BartmanLA

join:2001-12-02
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Nick I figured it was pretty standard stuff I just wanted to make sure! I sure wished they're hurry up and provision my service, today's the date!!

wb457

join:2000-02-07
Los Angeles, CA
reply to dslx_nick
said by dslx_nick:

- Disable call waiting: the account has call waiting enabled by default (so you can juggle two calls if needed). If you'd prefer, this can be disabled (so callers will get a busy signal instead if you're already on the phone).

Shouldn't it go straight to voicemail instead of a busy signal?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:28
Hmmm. Good point. Let me find out!

... aaaand the verdict is: caller gets a busy signal.

If you have Call Waiting ENABLED, then when someone calls in and you don't pick up in time, it goes to voicemail.

So, frankly? Just leave Call Waiting enabled, even if you never plan to really use it, so calls go to your voicemail if you don't pick up. Unless you really don't want to get voicemails for some reason.

wb457

join:2000-02-07
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Nick