Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

Avast is crippling my browser speeds

This is continued from »[Speed] Not getting full download speed

I found that Avast is crippling my browser speed by as much 2/3.

I'm running:

XP Pro SP3
Firefox 19.0.2
Avast 8
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I have avast on a machine, and it still gets full download speed. You could always change it's installation, and remove the web component.

It also has a browser plugin which I didn't allow to be active during the installation, and maybe that's part of what's really slowing down your speeds, this can also be removed as part of it's installation.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
I just did a reinstall because of another problem with Avast. »forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=···seen#new

I'll have to go through the settings to try and narrow it down to a specific app.

Or another reinstall?

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about Avast and I've been loyal for a few years now.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

You can change the install from the control panel without having to uninstall, you're going to change the install, and pick custom installation if you've never done that before just like many packages have custom install options. I only have a few of the options installed myself.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

dsilvers

join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

1 recommendation

reply to dolphins
You can go to program file and click on avast > change > choose component to install or uninstall > Remove everything but the file shield. This sounds drastic but avast either knows the exploit or it doesn't.

The result will be the same no matter how many shields you run. All shields use the same definitions, if it is not in the definitions using additional shields will not help. Shields are marketing hype.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to dolphins
I run avast on macs pcs smart phones etc, never a hit on throughput.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

2 recommendations

reply to dolphins
I would uninstall, clean with CCleaner, then reinstall.
My feeling is the issue is in the installation, not the AV program.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dolphins
Did the clean install of Avast, opted out of some of the shields.

I'm a happy surfer.

Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 60566 kbps (7570.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 10503 kbps (1312.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

--

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to dolphins
For future reference.

I found the following settings to be optimum for the least amount of restriction.

Still getting full speed after re-enabling Behavior Shield

I removed the protections 1 by 1 until my speeds were unrestricted.

(NOTE: These settings were applied to my XP machine. Other OS's may have different results?)
--

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
said by dolphins:

For future reference.

I found the following settings to be optimum for the least amount of restriction....
.....I removed the protections 1 by 1 until my speeds were unrestricted.

That tells me the last one you unchecked was the culprit. The rest of the protection modules turned off previous to that maybe still fine....
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Actually I did explain my results over in the Comcast forum.

said by dolphins:

The last one that I disabled was 'Behavior Shield' and then the flood gates opened up.

I would definitely say, "Web Shield, Network Shield and Browser Protection" are quite restrictive when used in unison. With those 3 alone disabled I was still only getting a little more than 30/10. I didn't achieve full speed until I disabled 'Behavior Shield'.

As for the others I chose to disable not mentioned above is really a personal preference, I feel they are unnecessary.

As I was disabling them, rebooting and then running speed tests I found that no single component can be the blame. With everything enabled my speeds are 15/10 consistently. That's quite a drop in speed. Again, I must reiterate that this is an XP machine so your mileage may vary?
--

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

Thanks for explaining more.

Web shield - it's mileage does vary from computer to computer.
Network shield - is only really required in a shared network environment, most home environments it isn't really a big one.
Browser shield - again, mileage can vary, browser settings are better anyway.

Behavior shield - while it fixed your bug, I would look into it, the shield is a good addition. I'm wondering if the auto sandbox settings might help a little more there to allow you to gain that protection back. It can be an irritant to some systems.
»blog.avast.com/2012/11/16/what-i···it-work/

Understand you are happy already, but thought I'd add 2 cents worth, if you want to look into it more once it all settles and you are enjoying your computer time again.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
I'll check into that and run some tests later.

Thanks.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
Westville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to norwegian
New Settings applied. I don't know if Avast made any changes to the Behavior Shield within the last day or so but I'm able to achieve full speed with it enabled now.

I made no other changes except allow Behavior Shield.
--