Meet the men who spy on women through their webcams

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···webcams/

"The Remote Administration Tool is the revolver of the Internet's Wild West..."

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

1 recommendation

Thanks for the link antdude.... for some reason I feel after reading that I need to gargle
and shower with superheated plasma... and not in a funny way either.

Anyone who spouts "faith in humanity" I'd love to show this article to.

Regards

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Ugh....

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 recommendation

reply to antdude
Click for full size
So in order to have a slave....the slave would have to have a internet session with the rats PC?

If I go to "internet sessions" on my router, I'd see this connection right?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

Thanks for the link antdude.... for some reason I feel after reading that I need to gargle
and shower with superheated plasma... and not in a funny way either.

Regards

No kidding.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

Regards

Didn't the mid-1930 teach people about how awful people can be to each other...? At least we don't have a 'solution' like in the mid-30's happening. For some reason I think that is many times worse than this - as bad as this is.

I have always hated web cams and this is just one more reason to hate them.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Cartel

You would even see the network tab of task manager show excessively high usage.

Tools like TcpView can be run in real time to avoid logging into your router.
Remember, if you log into your router while being controlled by something of this nature, then he/she can be playing with the same settings.

Use a desktop utility rather than risk accessing your router.
Most (97%) of my modem/router work is done without an internet connection or phone line in the modem.
Although sometimes I'm just slack.
Then clean the browser history before connecting out again, I always have.

Human nature eh, it's a funny thing, a serious thing, a good thing and a bad thing all rolled into one.

Do unto others as you would like done to you.....
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

anonanonco

@optonline.net
This is the same thing that was going on in the 90's, the difference now is webcams are on everything, girls take 1000's of pics of themselves and kids are just not getting that they are doing illegal stuff.

I just spent 2 hours on the website this article linked to. It really is horrifying to read what they do to their "slaves"

I read threads and threads about how to make money off your slave. Basically getting their naked pics and then blackmailing them. There's even a thread called "What do you do when your slave doesn't have paypal" and then there's discussion about how only kids don't have paypal, etc etc.

Lets be real here, they are blackmailing kids. What would be really nice is if the fbi got involved and nailed each one of those fuckers to the wall.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to antdude
What I don't get, is the fact that are so many free web cam sites out there. People that are willing to allow you to watch them as they go about their daily lives.
Why hack someone's computer and risk getting caught?
N/M, I can answer a part of that, for the thrill, sense of power over the victim. The risk of getting arrested.

As for the slave part, I'm sure there are some submissive women that would willingly do this. Granted she may want payment, but at least it's legal.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

CTMustang
Premium
join:2007-09-10
France
said by Snakeoil:

What I don't get, is the fact that are so many free web cam sites out there. People that are willing to allow you to watch them as they go about their daily lives.
Why hack someone's computer and risk getting caught?
N/M, I can answer a part of that, for the thrill, sense of power over the victim. The risk of getting arrested.

As for the slave part, I'm sure there are some submissive women that would willingly do this. Granted she may want payment, but at least it's legal.

They are also targeting people on purpose. I also took a look over there and I saw looked like mostly teenage boys, say 13-17 ish doing this stuff. Here's one topic

"My first slave, she's a friend and a hottie too "

He links up her picture in his RAT program. Then talks about he can't wait for her to change and make videos of it. Later on in the thread he says he got it but wont upload the video because it's his friend. (hah, friend!)

Another one targeted a girl who wouldnt go out with him. He got her naked on camera and then decided to blackmail her with the pictures. He never came back after he posted something about it with screen shots on her facebook wall. Hopefully he's in a jailcell somewhere.

It gets much darker from there I'm sure, but people wouldn't post that stuff.

If you want to see it yourself, sign up on the site and then click here, search for the word "slave"

»www.hackforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=114

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
That's ok, I wont risk it while I'm on my windows box. Maybe when I fire up my linux box .

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest

2 recommendations

reply to CTMustang
said by CTMustang:

If you want to see it yourself, sign up on the site and then click here, search for the word "slave"

You have to enable JavaScript for the site to work, which IMO would not be a good idea all things considered.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to norwegian
said by norwegian:

... Do unto others as you would like done to you.....

Those have always been profound words to live by. Unfortunately, for some folks (especially teen-age boys), the words they too often live by are: Do unto others anything you want without getting caught. Eventually, the hormones balance out and these folks settle down - but sadly, not always.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
I was a hormonal teenage boy once. I got over it--if only a few years ago
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

CTMustang
Premium
join:2007-09-10
France
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···webcams/

"The Remote Administration Tool is the revolver of the Internet's Wild West..."

Maybe, but this is where law enforcement needs to step in.

The top post right now.

"
Motherless
Alpha

Prestige: 0
I used to RAT back in 2007, but I have upgraded to a mac,

Now, I've become interested in getting a certain person, I'm not interested in mass slaves just a couple,

First I will need a RAT,

then a java drive by, so they can download the rat via a java applet, and then something for me to connect to the slave.

Now, i would be willing to pay for help, basically including the best way's to rat and the best programs and something undetectable."

Sp

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to Trihexagonal
said by Trihexagonal:

said by CTMustang:

You have to enable JavaScript for the site to work, which IMO would not be a good idea all things considered.

I'll go to Best Buy and check it out. They won't notice a thing. Customer service is non-existant there anyway.
Expand your moderator at work

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

Re: Meet the men who spy on women through their webcams

be sure 2check this

»blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligen···rkcomet/

and here
»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···bcams/3/

just a few of dark comets 2do items:

Find out all system information, including hardware being used and the exact version of your operating system, including security patches
Control all the processes currently running on your system
View and modify your registry
Modify your Hosts file
Control your computer from a remote shell
Modify your startup processes and services, including adding a few of its own
Execute various types of scripts on your system
Modify/View/Steal your files
Put files of its own on your system
Steal your stored password
Listen to your microphone
Log your keystrokes (duh)
Scan your network
View your network shares
Mess with your MSN Messenger / Steal your contacts / Add new contacts!
Steal from your clipboard (things you’ve copied)
Control your printer
Lock/Restart/Shutdown your computer
Update the implant with a new address to beacon to or new functionality
Watch your webcam
Use your computer in a denial of service (DOS) attack
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna
b...........get yer tape out........not the clear tape ...the electrical tape;=))

AVletmedown

@optonline.net
reply to antdude

Gigabit switch on a 10/100 router?

Does anyone else remember when these trojans/rootkits weren't even being detected by most antivirus programs? Back when internet security meant a buggy outgoing firewall?

It's no wonder it drew such a following - few security options were available to protect people back then, and Windows security remains threadbare.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: Meet the men who spy on women through their webcams

Nothing has changed except the resolution of the webcams is way better and the bandwidth faster for better video and anyone who is surprised obviously hasn't been in security very long.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool