rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

How much bandwidth does Max Turbo really share with the TV?

So, I decided to upgrade my Internet speed from 18 to 24Meg. I have a very clean local loop and under 2000ft in length. My gateway profile is at 32Meg and the line says it is capable of 50Meg. So, I'm trying to understand how much bandwidth the TV streams will eat up of my Internet connection. My wife and kids are DVR fiends which means I can easily have 4 video streams going at any point in time during the day or night. So, if my gateway profile is capped at 32Meg and I pay for the 24Meg Internet tier does that mean that there is only 8Meg available for video streams before it starts eating into my 24Meg for Internet access?

If the line is capable of 50Meg and I'm paying for 24Meg Internet service, why would the gateway profile be capped to 32Meg and not 40Meg or at least enough to support 2 HD and 2 SD video streams without impacting the available Internet bandwidth?

I work remotely from home and do a decent amount of Video conferencing and have noticed at times that I'm saturating my upstream bandwidth. So, I figured the boost from 1.5 to 3Meg should hopefully be a big help. But I'm also hoping I can get some benefit on the downstream. Just curious on what the real scoop is with the bandwidth sharing.

Is AT&T considering pair bonding for faster tiers/more video streams and less or no bandwidth sharing? I've heard lots of rumors. Any truth to this and when we might see it as a standard offering?
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:1

One HD channel takes roughly 6 Mbps away from the profile. An SD station roughly 1 Mbps.

So if you have a 32 Mbit/s profile, and one television is tuned in to a HD station (or the DVR is recording 1 program in HD), 6 Mbit/s is subtracted, and you would have 26 Mbit/s left for internet and voice services, which would be fine with 24 Mbps.

If you start to watch 2 HD channels at the same time (or 1 HD channel being recorded, while watching another, or 2 HD channels being recorded) you subtract another 6 Mbit/s, so you would go down to 20 Mbit/s max.

In short:

1 HD stream active: Full 24 Mbit.
2 HD streams: 20 Mbit/s left.
3 HD streams: 14 Mbit/s left.

If you are indeed such a television-heavy family as you say, it's probably a waste of money to go for 24/3, unless the upstream is worth the money.

If you want full access to your internet and your television, you would probably be better of doing AT&T for internet, but move your television services to one of the two satellite providers.

In my opinion, the setup that U-Verse uses is simply not fit for the modern multi-tv household and all the internet capable devices such a household wants to use to the max.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Thanks maartena See Profile. I knew the HD streams were around 6Meg. I was just curious about what the overlap really looked like and was it based on 32Meg or 50Meg. I agree that is pretty crappy capacity for today's needs. My wife almost always watches TV from the DVR. The kids mostly watch SD channels live or DVR shows. But the killer is that my wife records stuff all day long and usually 2 or 3 shows at the same time. I guess I will need to start policing her DVR schedule and make sure no more than 1 HD and 1 SD stream during the work day.

If my line is capable of 50Meg why would they not bump the gateway profile, especially if I'm paying for the 24Meg tier, so that I can get the most out of it? I've been pretty happy with the Uverse TV service overall, aside from the continuous congestion of the on-demand services. I've sworn off all cable and dish providers for a wide variety of reasons. If Verizon FiOS showed up tomorrow, I'd switch in a heartbeat to get the best of both worlds. I'm sure AT&T would hemorrhage customers overnight, as well. But until then we live with what the benevolent dictatorship deems we are worthy of consuming.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/