spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Say_whanow

@start.ca

Google Voice equivalent in Canada

Hello, long time reader, first time poster here.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions.

My job usually have me stationed on both sides of the border (9 months here, 10 in the US, 7 here etc.). So I've just kept 2 cellphones, one Canadian, one American. Now that the company is permanently placing me in the US, I have to close up shop here and whatnot.

Since I still have friends in Canada, I'd like to keep my Canadian mobile number. In the US, I've ported my number to Google voice, so all calls and SMS goes to my Inbox if my physical mobile phone is off (not to mention that I can actually call and text people with that number through a computer). So, the million dollar question is... Does the Canadian side have something equivalent? It would be terrific if Google voice CAN works like the US, but I'd be willing to settle for the next best thing.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by Say_whanow :

Does the Canadian side have something equivalent? It would be terrific if Google voice CAN works like the US, but I'd be willing to settle for the next best thing.

Look at Fongo (formerly called Dell Voice Canada, and related to freephoneline.ca)

Fongo costs little or nothing, and you can port your mobile number....

»www.fongo.com/

wl08

join:2010-09-01
reply to Say_whanow
freephoneline.ca/fongo is not 100% gv equivalent.

1. Free call/Forwarding only to major Canadian cities.Forwarding call to your US number is not free.

2. SMS is neither free nor forward to other number.

If you need forward both phone call and SMS, try anveo with small fee.

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to Say_whanow
Hello:

Assuming that you are scrapping your Canadian cell phone plan entirely, a non-free solution is to setup either a voip.ms or anveo account and port your Canadian cell phone number to them. Porting costs. You could simply just get a new Canadian number in the same area code as was your old Canadian cell phone number and give this new number to your Canadian friends.
You would forward this new, or ported number, to your Google Voice phone number.
You would be paying when your friends call the voip.ms or anveo number, about $0.01 per minute. It will cost a couple a dollar or two a month for the phone number, whether someone calls you on it or not.

Rob.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

fparker

join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON
if you call forward a voip.ms incoming call to a Canadian #, do you pay 1Cent/min incoming and 1/2cent/min outgoing for the entire call?

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC

1 edit
reply to Say_whanow

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
Rates to the US for VoIP.ms are actually $0.0105 per minute (value) or $0.0125 per minute (premium).
--
DPC3825 (bridge mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.10.1 on a Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.ms - Localphone - UKDDI

Say_whanow

@start.ca
reply to Say_whanow
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

But it might not have been clear as to what I have been looking for.
All Im seeking is a service, paid or otherwise that allow me to keep my number (that I'd be able to port into) where I can get incoming calls and SMS message directed to an inbox/ voicemail of some sort that will alert me of such an event, then I can call back and reply with either a web portal or softphone of some sort or my physical US mobile phone. Essentially the idea is to know when someone is trying to contact me, nothing more really. I would totally settle for VOIP.ms as I've used them before, but they dont have a system for incoming and outbound SMS as to my knowledge.

Worst case senario, is to port to some carrier with a decent prepaid plan (looks like its ~$100/365 days of air time expiry), but that'd just be sinking more and more of my money into it. Id rather not do that.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
said by Say_whanow :

All Im seeking is a service, paid or otherwise that allow me to keep my number (that I'd be able to port into) where I can get incoming calls and SMS message directed to an inbox/ voicemail of some sort that will alert me of such an event, then I can call back and reply with either a web portal or softphone of some sort or my physical US mobile phone. Essentially the idea is to know when someone is trying to contact me, nothing more really.

Anveo sounds like a good fit to me.
--
DPC3825 (bridge mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.10.1 on a Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.ms - Localphone - UKDDI

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4
Anveo still has porting for free for Canada if you take "Personal Unlimited" which is $2/month and you have unlimited incoming calls. You have to pay in advance for 1 year.
They have also SMS so you're covered with all you need.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
said by Dan_voip:

They have also SMS so you're covered with all you need.

The only thing to note with SMS and Anveo, is that not all the SMS options are available on the free subscription. The free options are:
•IM to Anveo Communicator - it's a jabber-based IM, you'd need to be logged in to get the message right away
•Forward to URL - not sure how this works
•Forward to a phone - this probably makes the most sense

If you use one of the paid subscription packages, you can forward to email, or use SMS to SIP (not sure what that one is either).