how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cronk

join:2005-07-16

1 edit

Another Facebook plugin?

I'm not by any means a Facebook fan, I don't like it at all, but I created an account with very limited personal information because a group that I am a member of uses it for communications.

When I go to some non-Facebook blog pages, I see that there is a comment box on the bottom that has my Facebook photo and an "opportunity" to add a comment, presumably via my Facebook account in some way. Are there any privacy concerns here, like that this allows Facebook to track what pages I visit if that page has one of these comment boxes? I see that this does not happen if I log out of my Facebook account before I leave my Facebook page. Seems like I may need to do that every time.

I've got Facebook platform apps turned off, I thought that blocked stuff like this from happening, in the past it did, but apparently not any longer. There is a link by that comment box about FB Social Plugins. Does anyone know if it is related to that? But I do not see a way to turn Social Plugins off. Does anyone know how to block this, other than logging out of FB whenever I leave or not having a Facebook account at all?

Thanks

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

Those datamine your Facebook account !!

When visiting sites that offer those comment boxes, select "not you" and do not comment.

On your Facebook account, go below, make sure the third party app API widget platform is off at all times.
»www.facebook.com/settings?tab=applications

This is an ongoing nuisance at Facebook that's probably going to get worse.

See also: »Fb Privacy Study Shows Why You Gave Up On Keeping Your Data

Cronk

reply to Cronk

That 3rd party app has been off, this happens with it off. Seems like it must be some other plugin or app of some sort that allows it. There is no opportunity on the comment area to say "Not me"

Thanks

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Cronk

Maybe something here will help, I'm almost positive there's a way to turn that off, but I can't think of how at the moment:

»facecrooks.com/

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

If you look at the "comments box" at the below link, this should illustrate the ability to not allow the said site to allow your Facebook profile to send data to Facebook.
»developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/
At the "post to profile" - you would deselect that and tell the site that is not you. Therefore no data is sent to Facebook.

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico
reply to Cronk

Sign our of Facebook. Click on the gear in the upper right corner and click on Sign Out. End of problem.

Cronk

1 edit
reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

If you look at the "comments box" at the below link, this should illustrate the ability to not allow the said site to allow your Facebook profile to send data to Facebook.
»developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/
At the "post to profile" - you would deselect that and tell the site that is not you. Therefore no data is sent to Facebook.

Thanks siljaline. I am not concerned about it sending data if I should post, since I would rarely if ever post anything. My concern is that I've read that just by visiting a page that displays this, that FB therefore is able to track that I visited that page, and it goes into their tracked info database. When I turned off FB Platform Apps previously, it used to block things like this from showing up when I visited a page like this. But now it is back even though Platform Apps are still disabled in my account. So I am trying to figure out what I can disable to keep this from happening, other than logging out every time I exit FB.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

Logging out of Facebook--or using Facebook only in a separate browser like I do--is the only way.

Cronk

1 edit
reply to Cronk

Here is the FB page on these Social Plugins, but there is no info on how to disable them.
»www.facebook.com/help/443483272359009/

Any info I've found on the web for disabling them is old and does not apply since they've changed the FB settings menu. Seems like they also refer to this as Instant Personalization. But again all that searches turn up is old info that no longer applies.

It is looking more and more like the only way to avoid it is to log out.

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Cronk

I ALWAYS log out, always have. I log out of everyplace that requires login, even here.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Cronk

The link you posted was one I was going to add to your query. The Facebook plug-in or "Like" API should be avoided like the plague.
Never click on a "recommend" or "like" button on any web page - doing so would quite likely turn the Apps API Platform back on. See attachment.

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Cronk

Also, have you checked "apps others use", under App settings, to make sure you have NO checkmarks in the listed catagories?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Under the Apps tab in my screenshot, the apps platform should be indicated as being disabled, however -
many sites have the ability to enable the platform unbeknownst to you or the Facebook user.

If I knew which these were, the would go to my Hosts file.

Cronk

reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

Also, have you checked "apps others use", under App settings, to make sure you have NO checkmarks in the listed catagories?

I don't have "apps others use" under App Settings. Only "Apps you use".