join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk

Re: Another Facebook plugin?

Those datamine your Facebook account !!

When visiting sites that offer those comment boxes, select "not you" and do not comment.

On your Facebook account, go below, make sure the third party app API widget platform is off at all times.
»www.facebook.com/setting ··· ications

This is an ongoing nuisance at Facebook that's probably going to get worse.

See also: »Fb Privacy Study Shows Why You Gave Up On Keeping Your Data
siljaline

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

If you look at the "comments box" at the below link, this should illustrate the ability to not allow the said site to allow your Facebook profile to send data to Facebook.
»developers.facebook.com/ ··· plugins/
At the "post to profile" - you would deselect that and tell the site that is not you. Therefore no data is sent to Facebook.

Cronk
join:2005-07-16

1 edit

Cronk

said by siljaline:

If you look at the "comments box" at the below link, this should illustrate the ability to not allow the said site to allow your Facebook profile to send data to Facebook.
»developers.facebook.com/ ··· plugins/
At the "post to profile" - you would deselect that and tell the site that is not you. Therefore no data is sent to Facebook.

Thanks siljaline. I am not concerned about it sending data if I should post, since I would rarely if ever post anything. My concern is that I've read that just by visiting a page that displays this, that FB therefore is able to track that I visited that page, and it goes into their tracked info database. When I turned off FB Platform Apps previously, it used to block things like this from showing up when I visited a page like this. But now it is back even though Platform Apps are still disabled in my account. So I am trying to figure out what I can disable to keep this from happening, other than logging out every time I exit FB.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Logging out of Facebook--or using Facebook only in a separate browser like I do--is the only way.
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

1 edit

Cronk

Here is the FB page on these Social Plugins, but there is no info on how to disable them.
»www.facebook.com/help/44 ··· 2359009/

Any info I've found on the web for disabling them is old and does not apply since they've changed the FB settings menu. Seems like they also refer to this as Instant Personalization. But again all that searches turn up is old info that no longer applies.

It is looking more and more like the only way to avoid it is to log out.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

The link you posted was one I was going to add to your query. The Facebook plug-in or "Like" API should be avoided like the plague.
Never click on a "recommend" or "like" button on any web page - doing so would quite likely turn the Apps API Platform back on. See attachment.