how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Klynn7

join:2013-03-11
Colorado Springs, CO

[Qwest] PPPoE issues.

Hello! I hope someone can help me! I'm using CenturyLink (grandfathered from Qwest) and have a Q1000 modem with a WRT54G running Tomato. For years I've had the modem run in transparent bridge mode and the router perform the PPPoE authentication. Today I got back from a weekend trip to find that my Internet was not working. I did the typical things of rebooting the router and modem, but had no luck. I called CenturyLink to see if there was an outage or a problem with my account, and there was not. I ended up factory resetting my modem and that actually allowed my Internet to work again... The only problem is I don't want to use the modem as my router since it's so terrible for that! I figured maybe this fixed whatever was wrong so I put the modem back into bridge mode and tried to authenticate with Tomato again, but had no luck. Upon checking the logs I saw the error "daemon.err pppd[167]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets."

After much googling and speaking to another rep at CL, I'm at my wits end here. Anyone know what's going on? Has my router just kicked the bucket? Sorry for any grammar/spelling/formatting issues, I'm having to post this from my phone :-/

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

Since you know the connection works, by testing with the modem in router mode, my guess would be the WRT54G is the problem. Try updating the firmware to the latest version and see if it helps. It may be time for a new router.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to Klynn7

The pppoe server sends the pado packet, so don't blame your router for the timeout.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Klynn7

This is a very long thread about the PADO/PADI process and why you cannot connect (locked out). Read just the first page and it will give you a hint on what is going on.

»"Timeout waiting for PADO packet" in router's log

Fixes include:

Do nothing
Fool around with the router
Replace the NIC
Replace the MODEM
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Klynn7

Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit
reply to Klynn7

Hey guys, thanks for responding! Last night before I went to bed I just unplugged both the modem and the router, thinking that maybe it was a lockout. This morning I plugged everything in, and it just worked! We can close this thread, now :-D

Edit: Spoke too soon. After 10-20 minutes the PPPoE connection dropped and began looping the same error again. I'm going to guess the router has finally died (to be fair it's 10+ years old)

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

From what I understand, the router is not the culprit. #1 was the MODEM and #2 was the NIC. The MODEM/NIC sends the request.

Read that link and you can see why those two are the possible hardware failure items.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to Klynn7

I had a D-Link router go bad. Wasn't sending username/password. With CL tech on phone, swapped to a different router and al ok. Later, put the D-Link on line after doing reset and reprogram, problem back.

Klynn7

Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit
reply to Klynn7

Hmmm, interesting. The reason I'm suspecting the router even though the PADO comes from CL is because I could see CL never sending a PADO because they're never actually getting a PADI from my router. It's easy for a response to time out if they don't have anything to respond to!

There's that and the fact that if I have the modem do the PPPoE authentication, it works okay. That implies to me the modem is functional and the router is the issue. I've acquired another router today and will test it out when I get home from work. If that works I'll know what's up, and if it doesn't, I'll try to find a VDSL modem (surprisingly hard!)

IRISH: Thanks for that link. I glazed over it thinking I had already read it last night (I saw a similar thread that didn't help me and thought this was the same one). I'm reading through it now. One question I have is they talk about telnetting into the modem to check some info, but if I have mine in transparent bridge mode that's impossible, right?

EDIT: Okay, I think the 4 port switch in my modem is what failed. I reset it to factory again and configured it using my laptop which got me onto the internet. However, when I plugged an ethernet cable in and disabled wifi, it stopped working. Obviously the router I was using to perform my PPPoE authentication was connecting over cat5, so there was my problem. Went to Best Buy and picked up a modem to try, and it worked like a charm. Now I just need to go through the warranty process on my Q1000.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to Klynn7

I keep a spare modem, router and ATA for voip. Routers are by far the weak link and makes for easy testing. They also tend to go bad at the worst times.

Klynn7

Colorado Springs, CO

Yeah I work in IT so a spare router is usually pretty easy to find, but a spare vDSL modem is $100 I don't have laying around.