uniqs
share rss forum feed

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Java Certificate Warning

Just installed a java update. Been holding off due to java's reputation, but figured I should at least get the recent update just in case. I normally don't use java and have had it disabled. But have found I need it on a few sites now.

After I got the update I am now constantly getting the pop up in the image every time I start up my pc. This reminded me that before I disabled java (way in the past) I was getting the same pop up.

What is it trying to tell me? I clicked view certificate, and even installed it, but still get this warning pop up.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it, or why its doing it in the first place?

Thanks
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

are you sure that alert is being generated by "java"? one of the lastest bugs/vulnerabilities that was discovered in "java" is that it doesn't validate "certificates", allowing cyber-criminals to use fraudulent certificates, with their malware/exploit kits, to bypass java's security-features (since "signed" java-apps do not cause any alerts to be generated and are allowed to run freely)..

here is an article about java's failure to validate certificates:

»arstechnica.com/security/2013/03···-attack/

i have never heard anyone else say that they have seen an alert like that that was generated by java.. however, maybe your are using some custom-settings that aren't normally used and so that is why you are seeing the alert when no one else has ever seen it..

you say that you need java for some webpages.. well, sometimes, when using a webpage, i will see a prompt to install java, which i ignore.. i still can use the webpage without having java installed, even though it prompts me to install java, i just don't get the java-graphics, which are superficial..

unless you play games at "pogo.com", you probably don't need to have java installed..

my advice is that, in order to have a more secure computer, you uninstall java, even though that means that you will not be able to play games at "pogo.com"..

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Thanks for the link to the article. Guess I will uninstall it again.

I am very sure that it is from java. (the pop up)

This same thing happened roughly a year ago exactly when I installed a java update, from java. Once I got tired of hearing of all of java's problems, I uninstalled it, and never saw the warning again, till yesterday when I reinstalled it. When I select "view certificate, it has oracle/java all over it.

I have scanned my pc with malwarebytes and several others recommended on this site, and have always come up clean.

Maybe I have an outdated list of certificates on here. I am pretty sure I recall long time ago, I was able to get them via windows update, but haven't been prompt to do an update for a long time.

Either way, I'm done with java. Uninstalling again!

Thanks for your response.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.