kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 edit

1 recommendation

China's next-generation internet is a world-beater

The net's new tiger, China, is creating a faster, more secure system that is way ahead of the West

THE net is getting creaky and old: it is rapidly running out of space and remains fundamentally insecure. And it turns out China is streets ahead of the West in doing anything about it.

A report published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society last week details China's advances in creating a next-generation internet that is on a national level and on a larger scale than anything in the West.

At the root of the problem are "two major gaps in the architecture of the internet", according to a report from the New England Complex Systems Institute, compiled in 2008 for the US Navy and released to the public this week. First up is the internet's inability to block malicious traffic as a whole. While malware can rapidly replicate and distribute itself across the net, organisations can only respond to individual instances of online aggression.

China is already coming up with better defences. One of the most important aspects of its next-generation backbone is a security feature known as Source Address Validation Architecture (SAVA). Many of the existing security problems stem from an inability to authenticate IP addresses of computers that try to connect to your network. SAVA fixes this by adding checkpoints across the network. These build up a database of trusted computers matched up with their IP addresses. Packets of data will be blocked if the computer and IP address don't match. Steve Wolff, one of the internet's early pioneers, calls it a "model that should be much more widely adopted".

»www.newscientist.com/article/mg2···ter.html

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
Ya except they'll block all Western sites and ideas........like Iran is doing now.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

swtnoob

@optonline.net
reply to Cartel
The Internet was invented by the US Department of Defence as a means of communication if we were attacked by Russia.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel
1. What is malicious is all in eye of beholder. A song or a movie sent over the Internet may be considered as malicious by MAFIAA. An opinion about actions of China's government may be considered malicious by the latter. So, if China wants to filter all the traffic and remove "malicious" data - it's called censorship, not a next generation Internet.

2. How setting infrastructure with a lot of checkpoints across the network, that do the filtering and checking IP addresses with their global databases, could make the Internet faster? Or should I stop thinking and start just believing anything they say now?

3. They say: Many of the existing security problems stem from an inability to authenticate IP addresses of computers that try to connect to your network. There is absolutely no technological problem to authenticate source of secure communication now, with existing Internet. Example - VPN can validate certificates... So, where is the problem or is it here at all?

4. "Show me your papers" (or "passport") idea is known here for many years. Surely some want to push it here too (and, perhaps, hence the article). But it was rejected here, as it contradicts our Constitution and understanding of our freedoms and privacy in the West.

The idea is full of BS and false promises. I'd say, good lick with that "world-beater"... Go ahead, waste your money and time.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

2 recommendations

reply to Cartel
A really fast, 'secure' Internet with government oversight and 'checkpoints' every mile?

Thanks, but no thanks.

If that's the future of the Internet, I'll go back to Morse code or SSB phone on shortwave.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
said by DrStrange:

A really fast, 'secure' Internet with government oversight and 'checkpoints' every mile?

Thanks, but no thanks.

If that's the future of the Internet, I'll go back to Morse code or SSB phone on shortwave.

We have that in the USA as well with the NSA.
But, I agree. What type of code does China have hidden in their next-gen wonder net?

Thanks but no thanks.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
reply to Cartel
quote:
THE net is getting creaky and old: it is rapidly running out of space and remains fundamentally insecure. And it turns out China is streets ahead of the West in doing anything about it.
While continually hacking US and other country's sites presumably.

And I'm sure their system is more secure since only a (privileged) few are allowed to access it.

The Soviets used to continually claim that they were ahead of the US and The West in general. Turns out not so much.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

manzanoman

join:2012-05-12
Albuquerque, NM
reply to Cartel
I think that all of you are missing the point. China is improving it's national defense. That is what this is all about.

MeDuZa

join:2003-06-13
Austria

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

While continually hacking US and other country's sites presumably.

U.S. top source of hacking attacks on country: China

It's hard to tell who is hacking whom. IP addresses don't say much about the source of a hacking attack. Nonetheless they are used by both sides as a rhetorical argument for the ongoing denigration campaign.
--
Reality corrupted. Reboot universe? (Y/N)

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
reply to Cartel
said by swtnoob :

The Internet was invented by the US Department of Defence as a means of communication if we were attacked by Russia.

I thought it was invented by Al Gore.

said by "Vice President Al Gore, 1999" :
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

said by OZO:

1. if China wants to filter all the traffic and remove "malicious" data - it's called censorship

2. Or should I stop thinking and start just believing anything they say now?

3. VPN can validate certificates... So, where is the problem or is it here at all?

4. "Show me your papers" (or "passport") idea is known here for many years.

The idea is full of BS and false promises. I'd say, good lick with that "world-beater"... Go ahead, waste your money and time.

Great job of translating the article from doublethink / newspeak.

Their real issue is how to stop the _politically_ embarrassing news that keeps appearing, even through heavy censorship.

Backgroundcheck.org: The Numbers Behind the Great Firewall of China.

Chinese internet slang: Wikipedia: River crab (Internet slang).

Tech in Asia: A Shocking Expose of China’s Black PR Industry Implicates Government Officials, is Quickly Deleted from the Web.

Financial Times: Death in Singapore (US electronics engineer Shane Todd, gallium nitride (GaN) amps, IME & Huawei).

I also seem to recall reading an article about the required registration of individual internet users in a household, as well as required confirmation of identity for all online accounts (blogs, chat, games, etc)...

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to Cartel
Great. They'll be able to send out spam that much faster.

daT
Know thyself, then be yourself.
Premium
join:2002-09-15
M9C XXX
reply to DrStrange
ya... thanks but not thanks.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Ya except they'll block all Western sites and ideas ...

Turnabouts is fair play. Perhaps it might convince them that they need to clean up their hacking act.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to Cartel
Can't call it Internet if it's limited to china only. Especially with their whacked out filtering and censorship.

Call it a fast clever network if you must - but Internet? It is not....

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by EdmundGerber:

Can't call it Internet if it's limited to china only. Especially with their whacked out filtering and censorship.

Call it a fast clever network if you must - but Internet? It is not....

Sinonet?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

zteardrop

join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Cartel
said by Cartel:

The net's new tiger, China, is creating a faster, more secure system that is way ahead of the West

A report published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society last week details China's advances in creating a next-generation internet that is on a national level and on a larger scale than anything in the West.

At the root of the problem are "two major gaps in the architecture of the internet", according to a report from the New England Complex Systems Institute, compiled in 2008 for the US Navy and released to the public this week. First up is the internet's inability to block malicious traffic as a whole. While malware can rapidly replicate and distribute itself across the net, organisations can only respond to individual instances of online aggression.

China is already coming up with better defences. One of the most important aspects of its next-generation backbone is a security feature known as Source Address Validation Architecture (SAVA). Many of the existing security problems stem from an inability to authenticate IP addresses of computers that try to connect to your network. SAVA fixes this by adding checkpoints across the network. These build up a database of trusted computers matched up with their IP addresses. Packets of data will be blocked if the computer and IP address don't match. Steve Wolff, one of the internet's early pioneers, calls it a "model that should be much more widely adopted".

»www.newscientist.com/article/mg2···ter.html

An admission by China that they now believe they have stolen enough secrets and technology from the West that they can finally now build their own.
--
The official Norton Forum from Symantec: »community.norton.com/norton/
You are safer with IE Protected Mode »msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···85).aspx