how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

[E-mail] Spam filters broken?

Normally Comcast's and/or Outlook's spam filter works pretty well. I rarely get more than 2 or 3 spam emails a week and the filters generally direct them into the junk mail folder. Yesterday a couple showed up in my inbox. This morning there were 8! I have not made any changes in my Outlook settings. Any idea why I am suddenly flooded with spam? I haven't (knowingly) given my email to a source that I would suspect would start spamming me.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

It's a constant battle between the spammers and the filters. Maybe they found a way around the current ones. Give it a bit of time and the filters will be adjusted, until the next time.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lmacmil

I noticed over the weekend that the spam rate notched up quite a bit on the email server that I run. Normally, the server rejects about 50% as spam, this weekend the reject rate was close to 90%.

Make sure you mark spam in your inbox as spam, it helps Comcast tweak their filters.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I normally 'preview' using the on-line mail first and use the SPAM button, before starting my regular mail program (Thunderbird). The only spam that ever hits that is stuff that comes in while it's still running.

It's also possible Comcast (or whoever does their spam filters) adjusted them a bit, which allowed more to leak through. I assume they try to optimize them occasionally for performance reasons and try to reduce false positives.

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN
reply to lmacmil

I also posted on the Comcast email forum and got a reply from a CSR. She said they noticed an uptick yesterday and asked for the headers from a couple of my emails. I sent them and she said they would use that info to block those domains. Haven't gotten any more since I first opened Outlook this morning at 8 am. Maybe they have already adjusted their filters.