how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Doesn't seem too bad.

Just pay your bills, and fulfill your contract. The 5 per year limit is BS though.

Like I said, seem, it could still be crap.

NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
I don't understand why should anyone have to beg to their provider to have a phone unlocked in the first place.

If providers are so worried about losing money "invested" in the "relationship" via subsidies, there is already a legal mechanism in place to ensure they don't lose money: it's called the contract. And since subscribers no longer have the right to go to court in many of these cases (the contracts list arbitration as the sole remedy, unless the provider chooses to do otherwise), there is very little cost involved for providers.
--
The only difference between Bush and Obama is the group they're wasting our taxpayer money on. It's time to elect responsible legislators.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Subsidy lock:

1. Control prepaid roaming ($5/min overseas gouging)
2. Control secondary market (aka prepaid, MVNO). Limit supply
3. Control cross use (only want on vendor, not competitor -- extension of 2
4. Easier to get customer into new plan (aggravation is the key to success)
5. Arbitrary rules to confuse customers, just like AT&T....

The crux of this lock --theoretically in their minds-- is essentially a secondary valve to control a person from taking a phone w/ a deadbeat account and easily selling it to say a guy to flash to cricket.

Within 2 years (or sooner) there will be universal basebands, even LTE so a phone XYZ should be able to be used almost anywhere, so these guys have lots to worry about. At that point a sub lock will be purely punitive. Hopefully google can continue to churn out nexus phones that put pressure on these guys.

Even if ETF is the recourse, this makes it harder, and now ILLEGAL. So these yoyos are happy. The above are just frosting on the cake, and I'm sure some bean counter figured those out long ago.

James007

@optonline.net
reply to NOVA_UAV_Guy
The argument carries no sense to me.
The phone lock is similar to having a lien on your car or a mortgage on your house until you paid for it in full.
As a consumer, I choose to forgo certain liberties in the hardware that I purchase in exchange of a heavily discounted price, as much as USD400 in the case of a top-of-the-line device. So, as a consumer I benefit from the equation.
The lock is the only guarantee that the service provider has to recoup its investment in service fees.
Don't like to have a locked phone?
You can always buy one unlocked at full price and choose the service of your liking.
Have you fulfilled your contract with the service provider?
Then (and only then) the service provider should be obliged to unlock the phone automatically, without even being asked. Only then the phone really belongs to the user. Quit pro quo.

NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
So the contract that one signs to get a subsidized phone, and legal ramifications of not fulfilling it, are not enough? The provider gets their pound of flesh from you whether or not you fulfill your contract, thus the subsidy lock is only punitive in nature and completely unnecessary.
--
The only difference between Bush and Obama is the group they're wasting our taxpayer money on. It's time to elect responsible legislators.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to James007
"Don't like to have a locked phone?
You can always buy one unlocked at full price "

No, some phones you can buy unlocked, but not a wide selection of phones.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to James007
If you have a lien on your house it doesn't affect what plumber you can call to fix your toilet or what brand food you can put in the fridge.
--
PRescott7-2097