uniqs

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

[Parts Check] Cable Sleeving has anyone done it?

(Mods feel free to move this to Overclocking/modding if you feel it's more appropriate)

I'm finding my modular cables for my Seasonic X850 are a little too bulky for my case (which is a Thermaltake Element G) So I was thinking of getting a sleeving kit:

»www.moddiy.com/products/ ··· les.html

I was wondering if you guys think it's worth the effort, I've been reading up a little on /r/cablemanagement and they're doing some nice thing with the sleeved cables.

Any tips? Waste of time?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I don't like the idea. Wires are color coded for a reason. Now if you sleeve all the wires of a bunch together, that's another thing. But the various colors mean things, Yellow, for instance, means 12V DC Power. Sleeving each individually kinda defeats the purpose of sleeving.

Now if you really want to reduce bulk, get a whole bunch of heat shrink tubing and do each molex up in one of them each...

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

I don't like the idea. Wires are color coded for a reason. Now if you sleeve all the wires of a bunch together, that's another thing. But the various colors mean things, Yellow, for instance, means 12V DC Power. Sleeving each individually kinda defeats the purpose of sleeving.

In my current setup they're already grouped together in a sleeve so to speak, but they're big, and bulky, I was hoping that individual sleeving would flatten them.

I'm not worried about the colour coordination of the individual wires, because the connectors are pretty clear as to what goes where.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Get the extenders over at FrozenCPU. You'll pull your hair out if you do it yourself.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
How would adding the bulk of individual sleeves *reduce* cable clutter? I don't see it. Each wire will be thicker and they'll all be willy nilly.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Get the extenders over at FrozenCPU. You'll pull your hair out if you do it yourself.

I'm checking it now, pricing seems better than moddiy at first glance.
El Quintron

El Quintron to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

How would adding the bulk of individual sleeves *reduce* cable clutter? I don't see it. Each wire will be thicker and they'll all be willy nilly.

This is my first foray into PSU modding, but bear in mind you're not adding bulk to your existing cabling, you're either taking it out of the large braids and putting into smaller individual ones, or you're replacing your existing cables with sleeved ones.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Dang...

I was going over FrozenCPU, but they don't have any pre-assembled Seasonic kits.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
I wouldn't waste my time sleeving PSU cables myself. It's just too much of a hassle. Most of the plug connectors are a pain in the ass to remove.

You can purchase all the sleeved cables directly from Corsair, and they offer different colors also. »www.corsair.com/us/power ··· ack.html

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

You can purchase all the sleeved cables directly from Corsair, and they offer different colors also. »www.corsair.com/us/power ··· ack.html

I was planning on getting a pre-sleeved kit (like the Corsair one you mentionned) but they're not compatible with the Seasonic PSUs, the only compatible one I've found so far is the modDIY ones, I have to figure out what lenght to buy now.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
What does Seasonic have to do with power cables?

These tag on to the end of your current cables--just store the excess behind the motherboard panel.

»www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2 ··· ved.html

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

These tag on to the end of your current cables--just store the excess behind the motherboard panel.

»www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2 ··· ved.html

Gotcha, I didn't know these were available, I was expecting replacement cables, hence why they had to be compatible with Seasonic.

Thanks for clarifying.
EQ

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Ghastlyone:

I was planning on getting a pre-sleeved kit (like the Corsair one you mentionned) but they're not compatible with the Seasonic PSUs, the only compatible one I've found so far is the modDIY ones, I have to figure out what lenght to buy now.

Damn, I thought all these cables were interchangable? I never thought these were brand specific at all.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

Damn, I thought all these cables were interchangable? I never thought these were brand specific at all.

It turns out the Corsair AX series is the same as the Seasonic X series, but the connectors are different, which totally blows, because those colored Corsair cables are pretty slick looking.

I'm pretty much settled on going the extension route now.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
For as long as I can recall, before I stopped watching closely, each SMPS company did something different with the actual connectors hooking to the SMPS chassis. You'd think by now there would be a new ATX/whatev standard that established what connectors are used and how they are used. The engineering organization behind these standards is dropping the ball.