dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slambram
join:2012-05-10

slambram

MI BHN just increased my cable mode fee...

...on the cable modem I *bought* (under a business account years ago) from $2.00/mo. to $3.50. The service is great, but this nickle-and-diming is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

The modem fee is optional. You may bring your own modem or emta and avoid the fee »support.brighthouse.com/ ··· 15&pos=1
ecollin23
join:2012-12-15
Orlando, FL

ecollin23

It appears he believes he already purchased his modem as part of a business account. Perhaps you can work with him and see if your records agree with his records.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ecollin23:

It appears he believes he already purchased his modem as part of a business account. Perhaps you can work with him and see if your records agree with his records.

Bring your own modem does not apply to business accounts so not sure where he's coming from.

rbmoving
@bhn.net

rbmoving to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
I think most as I did thought when we entered into a package plan that the pricing was locked in for the period specified and we wouldn't get increases like this until that package expired. Now we find out that there are fees that fall outside the Package Umbrella....and makes you wonder what other charges could fall o/s the Umbrella. It does feel like as many have written, "Nickle & Diming" and has never been the way BHN has charged customers in the past. I realize we can all get our own eMTA.....but that does come off take it leave...and is not in keeping with the BHN Slogan.....hello friend........ The other issue I see getting your own Modem, when there is a problem you could be setting yourself up for Finger Pointing.....is it BHN or your personal Modem.....and that would be the reason I would not go the way of purchasing a Modem.........
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by rbmoving :

I think most as I did thought when we entered into a package plan that the pricing was locked in for the period specified and we wouldn't get increases like this until that package expired. Now we find out that there are fees that fall outside the Package Umbrella....and makes you wonder what other charges could fall o/s the Umbrella. It does feel like as many have written, "Nickle & Diming" and has never been the way BHN has charged customers in the past. I realize we can all get our own eMTA.....but that does come off take it leave...and is not in keeping with the BHN Slogan.....hello friend........ The other issue I see getting your own Modem, when there is a problem you could be setting yourself up for Finger Pointing.....is it BHN or your personal Modem.....and that would be the reason I would not go the way of purchasing a Modem.........

There will be no finger pointing...we have ways of determining where the issue lies. If you have any issues let me know.
ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Here is how I read his first post. He had a business account. As part of that business account, he purchased a modem. He no longer uses that purchased modem on his business account but now uses it on his personal account. Just so that all the people reading this (including me) get the correct information from an expert like yourself, were business users allowed or required to buy their cable modems in the past?
Keiro
join:2005-10-25
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

Keiro

said by ecollin23:

Here is how I read his first post. He had a business account. As part of that business account, he purchased a modem. He no longer uses that purchased modem on his business account but now uses it on his personal account. Just so that all the people reading this (including me) get the correct information from an expert like yourself, were business users allowed or required to buy their cable modems in the past?

Not that I recall.

They typically refused to allow you to get your own cable modem.

If I recall correctly, it was because the business variants that they give you tends to be much more complex than the usual simple modems that residential customers get.

I've never been able to get them to let me have my own modem... with static IPs and all.

However, there is only one way that you can get your own modem with them on a Business account... and that is to NOT get a static IP.

You can convince them to enable the SBG5680 or something similar that they already support... but the very moment a static IP is included... it's all a NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE on their part.

Edit: And if I recall, it's due to the business class modems using RIP and the like.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ecollin23

Premium Member

to ecollin23
said by ecollin23:

No actually...
ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23

You guys should start a division like Boost Mobile but call it something Power-Up Cable. In exchange for straight forward and discounted service pricing I would buy my own supported hardware and accept that promotions would be rare or non-existent. It seems impossible for you to serve people looking for hand holding with no cash up front and people who are willing to pay upfront in exchange for cheaper monthly charges from the same brand. Sprint owns Boost Mobile but they cater to totally different types of customers.

GeNomer
join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

GeNomer to slambram

to slambram
Well BHN has been increasing speeds on it's network and I'm sure that does require upgrades to infrastructure as well as buying all those docsis 3 modems and mtas. So that is probably where the modem rental increase is coming from.
slambram

slambram to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I've been with Brighthouse since about 2003, starting as a business customer. As I recall, there was an 'equipment fee' of maybe $100 or $200, which was waived at the time, but which included the purchase of the cable modem (nothing special for business at the time - Surfboard 5100). A few years later, I switched to residential service, keeping the same modem. A year or so ago, BH began charging me $2/mo. for this same equipment (which currently goes for about $50 on Amazon), saying I wasn't allowed to buy my own at the time if I recall. And they've now increased that fee to $3.50. Regardless of who was allowed to buy or bring what on which account, this seems awfully petty to me for $50 modem.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by slambram:

I've been with Brighthouse since about 2003, starting as a business customer. As I recall, there was an 'equipment fee' of maybe $100 or $200, which was waived at the time, but which included the purchase of the cable modem (nothing special for business at the time - Surfboard 5100). A few years later, I switched to residential service, keeping the same modem. A year or so ago, BH began charging me $2/mo. for this same equipment (which currently goes for about $50 on Amazon), saying I wasn't allowed to buy my own at the time if I recall. And they've now increased that fee to $3.50. Regardless of who was allowed to buy or bring what on which account, this seems awfully petty to me for $50 modem.

We have never sold modems. That may have been your install fee however we did not sell you that modem. You kept the modem after moving it from the business acct which was strictly an equipment transfer which kept you from ultimately being billed for not returning the modem to us. As for what modems cost that really isn't the relevant because it just isn't one cost. The ongoing support of you and the device including replacement should anything happen to the devic etc...each as it's own costs. If you still feel you can do better by all means bring your own modem and provided its on the approved list we will activate it for you.
regularjoe
join:2012-11-11

regularjoe to slambram

to slambram
It does not matter whatever anyone thinks. If you carefully read every thread in this forum; You will soon realize that my first sentences is a fact. Opinions, experiences, and / or anything else do not matter.

"Things are not that way, they were never that way." "The experience you had did not happen like you say it did." At the end, there is only one truth... and you can guess what truth that is.
slambram

slambram

Yes, I think I'm finally starting to see that light....
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to regularjoe

Premium Member

to regularjoe
said by regularjoe:

It does not matter whatever anyone thinks. If you carefully read every thread in this forum; You will soon realize that my first sentences is a fact. Opinions, experiences, and / or anything else do not matter.

"Things are not that way, they were never that way." "The experience you had did not happen like you say it did." At the end, there is only one truth... and you can guess what truth that is.

Nobody is denying you your feelings...just clarifying the facts. Facts are you didn't buy your modem as we don't sell them. What you paid for was your installation of the device and services (remember this was a business account). When you closed or moved the business to your home the equipment was activated there which again is not a problem however the fact that you kept the modem doesn't mean it was yours to keep just that you kept it and we didn't bill you for it because it eventually made it to your residential account. Again nothing much out of the ordinary there.

As for the rest I understand how you feel however it is your option to bring your own CUSTOMER owned modem and avoid the modem fee or to have us provide you a modem and pay the modem fee. It truly is your choice here nobody is forcing you to pay the modem fee.

In this case that modem is not CUSTOMER owned otherwise you wouldn't be paying it right now. If you feel otherwise by all means open a direct forums thread, include your IP and I will review your equipment and IF the modem is actually customer owned I will make sure the fee is removed.
slambram

slambram

Dude, seriously, I GET IT - I don't own own the modem, I never owned modem, I can't own the modem, because it's impossible to own a modem. All your modems are belong to BHN. O.. K...

Be all that as it may, do you really think it's a good idea to simply one day out of the blue start charging customers (longtime or otherwise) for equipment you never charged them for before, esp. when (according to you) it's never been possible to buy your own (and I'm certain, for a time(s), it was not possible to supply your own either). Then to start increasing those fees to until they start to equal the cost of the equipment in under a year?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by slambram:

Dude, seriously, I GET IT - I don't own own the modem, I never owned modem, I can't own the modem, because it's impossible to own a modem. All your modems are belong to BHN. O.. K...

Be all that as it may, do you really think it's a good idea to simply one day out of the blue start charging customers (longtime or otherwise) for equipment you never charged them for before, esp. when (according to you) it's never been possible to buy your own (and I'm certain, for a time(s), it was not possible to supply your own either). Then to start increasing those fees to until they start to equal the cost of the equipment in under a year?

The price for a SB6141 D3 (which is the least you should get these days) is $89.89 here »www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 07IMPMW4

You might be able to beat that price but lets use that as the example. At this price it would take you nearly 26 months to just break even and just one power surge, firmware update gone bad, accidental spill or fall off the bookcase to destroy any savings you might have enjoyed because those won't be covered under warranty not to mention the downtime while you send it off to repair and wait for the return shipment.

You are also stuck with your own device and whatever pitfalls come with it while we continue to advance in technology and push improvements to the devices we manage. Again this is real simple....it is your choice, nobody is forcing you to pay the modem fee you can decide which way works best for you.

papanole
@bhn.net

papanole

Anon

bhntechxpert,

you say it would take 26 months before it's break even.
are you confirming that the cable modem "fee" will not change within the next 26 months or so?

why is it I see an increase coming next year.."but it's only a $1 increase" is going to be the statement when it changes

slambram

slambram to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

The price for a SB6141 D3 (which is the least you should get these days) is $89.89 here »www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 07IMPMW4

That's just great, except BHN didn't send me one of those modems, they just started charging me to use my 9-year-old one. Then, when it was 10 years old, they increased the fee by 75%.

And did you just seriously try to sell us on why it's better to rent your cable modem? Really? That confirms you work for BHN, but do they know you're also performing customer service/sales functions on their behalf? Because, wow.
ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23

Unfortunately, all the providers in Orlando that are available and acceptable to me play the same game. I refuse to get emotional about it but I remind myself of two things.

1. They will eventually go too far like Netflix did and prompt a revolt.
2. If enough people buy their own modems and home networking technologies, content providers will have to consider selling directly to end users.

They said people would never want to own their own phones when I was a kid but price gouging by telcos ended up creating a market where you can buy phones at almost any store.

They said people would never invest thousands of dollars in to home theater equipment when they could just go to a theater for less than $20 per person. Now most people can display HD movies at home using streaming or BluRay discs.

I appreciate the help bhntechxpert gives me. I do not think he will ever share my point of view on many subjects but that is ok. I think it is time that we as a society learn to disagree without being disagreeable. In the long run the best ideas usually win anyway.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ecollin23:

1. They will eventually go too far like Netflix did and prompt a revolt.

Revolt against what? For years many of you have screamed and demanded you name it that we allow you to bring your own modems. Now you can.

2. If enough people buy their own modems and home networking technologies, content providers will have to consider selling directly to end users.

What does that have to do with modems and routers and how is that different than Netflix or anyone else now offering premium over the top services? Honestly if you are a power user you are better off getting your own router...we recommend it all the time. Our gateways are intended for those don't want to mess with those things and want us to be the gatekeeper so-to-speak.

They said people would never want to own their own phones when I was a kid but price gouging by telcos ended up creating a market where you can buy phones at almost any store.

It's only price gouging if you are given no other choice. You have choices here...our modem for a fee or your modem no fee. What other choices on this topic do you want?

They said people would never invest thousands of dollars in to home theater equipment when they could just go to a theater for less than $20 per person. Now most people can display HD movies at home using streaming or BluRay discs.

Truth be told...MOST people don't invest thousands on home theater systems and thats especially true right now with the economy at a high suckage status.

I appreciate the help bhntechxpert gives me. I do not think he will ever share my point of view on many subjects but that is ok. I think it is time that we as a society learn to disagree without being disagreeable. In the long run the best ideas usually win anyway.

We're not going to agree on everything...if we did that would be a bad thing. I look at things both from a consumer and provider standpoint and my goal is to make sure you are armed with everything you need to know to make sound decisons as it applies to our products and your technology. Will I succeed every time...I hope so but that's not realistic and will you agree with me all the time...probably not...but that's okay.
MikeSpears
join:2013-02-07
Concord, NC

MikeSpears to slambram

to slambram
I thought about buying my own modem, decided not to when I looked at the warranties on a modem I bought myself. The way I see it, without my modem, I'm screwed, so for me the best option is to pay the rental fee. If my modem goes out for some reason, I can just take it to the BHN store near my house. Can't do that if I buy my own. Another good thing about BHN provided modems, is that they get upgraded every so often.
ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Answers to your questions -
1. People may revolt against a new fee even for people who have the same old (not on the supported "buy your own modem" list) modem.
2. I wasn't referring to modems per se. I was attempting to point out that at some point prices could rise to the point that customers attempt to cut out the middle man to enhance affordability and choice.
3. My point of view differs from yours. I consider it price gouging if gas stations double the price of existing gas in their storage tanks because a hurricane is expected. I am not equating your modem fee to gas prices when a hurricane is approaching, I am just using a widely accepted standard that shows that choice is not the only consideration some people use in determining gouging.

I still appreciate the help you give us. Once I see how other people's bring your own modem works out I hope to get your help setting up mine. I have had my rented modem for six years without ever needing to replace it so a new modem that saves the rental fee and adds DOCSIS 3 compatibility sounds like a winner to me.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

1. People may revolt against a new fee even for people who have the same old (not on the supported "buy your own modem" list) modem.

Revolt and go where? This isn't a situation where the choices are very attractive on the other side of the fence. Our modem fee is the lowest in the industry. I realize that it isn't free but free isn't forever. Nothing free lasts forever because there are always costs associated with it to bring it to you some obvious some not so much.

Take Pandora for example...it was free for a very long time...as of this month you are limited to 20 hours on dedicated devices. For me thats about 4 days worth. You can blame the content holders....

And you can't really use the Netflix revolt as an example..it lasted about 6 days for most and in the grand scheme of things those participating amounted to a mere fraction of their actual customer count.

2. I wasn't referring to modems per se. I was attempting to point out that at some point prices could rise to the point that customers attempt to cut out the middle man to enhance affordability and choice.

Don't you think MSO's are mindful of this? Doesn't it occur to you that they spend hours, days, weeks even months looking for ways to hold prices down but every time your favorite channel or network comes up for renegotiation and threatens to pull their programming off the cable system if they don't get what they want do you ever revolt against them....no... what you do is call your cable provider and threaten to go to the competition en masse leaving the provider no choice but to eventually cave in to some degree to the demands.

The end result being your costs go up. If you spent half as much effort calling and screaming at and threatening your provider and instead lighting up the phones, websites, social media of the content holders this would be an entirely different world. But you don't...

Until you are willing to tell your provider "Hold back prices and tell em to stuff the price increase even if it means my favorite channel goes dark for a short time" nothing is going to change. Content owners know this in fact they count on it. You see how they treat MSO's.... how do you think they are going to treat you when they sell direct to you as little old retail customer.

3. My point of view differs from yours. I consider it price gouging if gas stations double the price of existing gas in their storage tanks because a hurricane is expected. I am not equating your modem fee to gas prices when a hurricane is approaching, I am just using a widely accepted standard that shows that choice is not the only consideration some people use in determining gouging.

But in a hurricane or emergency situation your options are few if any...again you don't have much of a choice. Pay the price for the gas or run out...it's that simple...having been through a few of those myself trust me there are no choices. With the modem fee you have choices. You may not like them because things have changed a bit but you do have a paid option and a free option...totally up to you which way you go.

And as for the support thing we are going to support you to the best of our ability regardless with obvious limitations of course on the customer owned side of things but generally speaking your experience will remain the same...the only difference is if through the miracle of diagnostics its determined to be your modem thats going to be your problem if you bring your own...otherwise we're going to be there for you.

We want our service to be outstanding regardless of your equipment status and no it won't be used as an excuse and if you have such an experience I want to know about it.
ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23

Your points are well taken. I did my part. Over the last four years I went from having all the premiums channels to having none of them. Hopefully the content providers realize that if customers get digital cable from Brighthouse and premium channel content on BluRay discs from Netflix then they loose revenue. I will wait a year to see Dexter and Game of Thrones on BluRay from Netflix and it is a lot cheaper than subscribing to Showtime and HBO. I also get to see any movie I want not just the ones that are exclusive to HBO and/or Showtime. Your words were quite persuasive I must admit.
ecollin23

ecollin23 to slambram

to slambram
I know premium content providers aren't the only problem but they are the easiest to confront since they are usually sold un-bundled. I don't think I have a choice to remove just the Country Music Channel (lol).
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

Premium Member

to ecollin23
said by ecollin23:

Your points are well taken. I did my part. Over the last four years I went from having all the premiums channels to having none of them. Hopefully the content providers realize that if customers get digital cable from Brighthouse and premium channel content on BluRay discs from Netflix then they loose revenue. I will wait a year to see Dexter and Game of Thrones on BluRay from Netflix and it is a lot cheaper than subscribing to Showtime and HBO. I also get to see any movie I want not just the ones that are exclusive to HBO and/or Showtime. Your words were quite persuasive I must admit.

And you are quite the debater yourself....you have definately earned my respect there. I truly love debates like ours because it puts things into perspective.

Listen...I know times are tough...I'm a consumer as well...every single Bright House employee is a consumer...if you don't think we understand or care you are mistaken as we feel the impact just like you.

An incredible amount of thought and effort goes into minimizing your pain and frustration every year. I know because I'm part of those discussions every single day. If you only knew how much effort folks put into this I think you might have a different impression of us. All I can do is give you a taste and hope that you will trust me on this.

I say this often and I mean it - we do not sit around in cigar smoke filled rooms sippin brandy congratulating ourselves on our greatness looking for ways to put the screws to your wallet...it just doesn't happen that way. I know that's what some people think...I've even seen television ads that portrayed it that way but it just doesn't happen.
BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to ecollin23
said by ecollin23:

I know premium content providers aren't the only problem but they are the easiest to confront since they are usually sold un-bundled. I don't think I have a choice to remove just the Country Music Channel (lol).

What? No appreciation for country music? Unbundling is an MSO's dream come true. Nobody hates the bundles like your neighborhood MSO.

Don't think for a second they do but with many content holders its all or nothing and once again they hold all the cards because they know if they put out there for example "Why is Dora crying? (visual - Dora in tears) Because xx cable provider won't allow her on their system" when the truth is ...

It has nothing to do with Dora...it has to do with Dora may come with a whole bunch of other stuff nobody wants and yet its all or nothing and if xx provider doesn't give in Dora starts to cry and the masses call xx provider screaming bloody murder "How dare you deny my 4 year old daughter Dora the Explorer". I think you see my point
MikeSpears
join:2013-02-07
Concord, NC

MikeSpears to slambram

to slambram
Honestly, the modem fee is $3.50, It's a freaking cup of coffee a month... Suck it up, and if you don't like it, get your own modem.