IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Church Server (Space Problem)

Click for full size
Hello, I have setup a FreeNAS 8.3.0 server configure with a 40GB drive and 2 1TB drives that are mirrored (RAID1) Server is a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz HT with 4 GB of RAM formatted with UFS The issue is that due to the 5% or so of space that is reserved, I am only having ~ 843GB of space available to use, I have read about the TuneFS command but i'm not sure of the proper sytax to input the command (I do however run OS X just not the terminal)
Thanks for your help

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
There is a reason for the default 5% space set aside on *nix type systems

With the 5% space set aside, it will be possible for the root user to log into the system, solve problems, and free up enough disk space to allow the system to again run normally.

If you you eliminate the 5% space set aside, and the file system were to become 100% filled by some run away process for example, it is possible that the system could become non-recoverable due to even the root user being locked out.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to IowaMan
There are several reasons (all good) for the 5% reserve.

If this does not leave enough space for your needs, I would suggest adding another pair of disks or replacing the current set with higher capacity disks (e.g. a pair of 2TB disks).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to IowaMan
Maybe some prayer might help?

Seriously the 5% is minimal compared to many OS and as also said good reason for it.

Your space has gotten that tight time to add more.

Heck a TB drive is like $100 bucks these days pass the collection plate if need be.
--

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
All are very good points and besides that, the current server consists of a desktop running Windows 7 that is currently partitioned to a 600 GB drive of which only 300 GB is in use right now

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
Well then just repartitioning (expanding used) might cure the problem, easy and not destructive if other 300GB is unused space.
--