spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

[speed/latency] Upgraded...sorta

My parents' DSL connection is on a 20.61 kfoot loop, so when they got it in early 2010 they were limited to 1.5/384 speeds. Which was about right for the service on the download side...SNR would dip as low as 6.0 dB at times...but the upload side could do a bit better (SNR was around 14 dB I think).

Fast forward to recent history. Verizon is hiking their rate again, from $32 to $37 per month (after an increase from $30 to $32). But they did give us one gift: the DSL line will sync as fast as it possibly can, in both directions, given that downstream SNR is at least 6 dB and upstream is at least 9 dB.

Depending on the hour/day, that could mean 2000-2200 kbps down, and 700-800 kbps up, looks like. The upstream portion of the deal, currently at 736 kbps, is definitely the big prize of this, since the sync rate was around 450 kbps before.

Has anyone else seen a similar (minor) speed boost oon their DSL service in the last month or two? I know that we're being billed the same as someone who can pull 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up so I should be outraged rather than grateful, but when Time Warner Cable is $9000 away and the next best option is $60 for 2M down, 384K up wireless, you take what you can get.

Capnblinski
join:2006-06-30
ST5 1PN

1 edit

Capnblinski

A happy camper!

Was wondering about prices increasing and also my speed has gone from 3.0 to your 2.1 mb -- they changed the whole provision... yet the on the whole surfing appears to be a bit 'smoother'.

maybe.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

My bet on your side is that they are now optimizing for SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) rather than a given speed profile on your connection. Any SNR below 6.0 dB is gonna give problems, generally speaking, with dropouts, latency spikes etc., so I'll bet that's what's coming into play for you.

Capnblinski
join:2006-06-30
ST5 1PN

4 edits

Capnblinski to iansltx

to iansltx
Here are my transceiver stats

Transceiver Revision: 4.3.0.1
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: G.DMT Mode
Data Path: Interleaved
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1792 448
Margin (dB) 27.0 25.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 34.5 19.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.0 11.9

I am using the old westell modem; the square black one.The actiontec gt784wnv they sent recently doesn't appear to have any disconnects, but the gt784wnv has a program on there that has my NIC light flashing all day and night passing traffic The westell modem only has regular activity when I monitor my network. I've always had (mostly) good service -- 3.0 mb down through newer copper lines for the last seven years.

...and as of this evening:

Connection Rate (Down/Up): *1792 Kbits/sec by 448*
17 Disconnects in 12 hours

..and as of this evening 031413

0 disconnects in 5 hours *1792 Kbits/sec by 448*

=------------------------------------------------------------=