how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

szgorzelski

join:2013-03-11
Fayetteville, NC

[TWC] Fayetteville NC - PS3 slow connection after Ultimate upgra

I was wondering if anyone else with Time Warner Cable's Extreme Internet (up to 50 mbps) has had the same or slower connection since upgrading from turbo. I've had it a week now and download speeds have been between 3 and 12 mbps. When I had turbo (up to 20 mbps) I was getting usually 12 to 16 mbps. Where before I had no issues with Netflix or YouTube on the turbo service, with the extreme upgrade both are choppy and constantly buffer about every 5 to 10 seconds. My connection is that slow.

I am running a wired connection. The modem is a Ubee DDW3611 with built in wifi. When I wire in my laptop I get speed tests that time in the 40s for mbps. On my PS3 I run the connection test under network settings and go to sites on the browser and the best speed I've ever gotten was 12 mbps. I used this same PS3 in Virginia when I had Comcast's 50 mbps service and always had a great connection. Somehow the modem and my PS3 don't get along. I called Time Warner's customer service and they gave my PS3 a static IP address and also put it as the DZM or whatever he called it. When that failed I looked up port forwarding and followed online instructions and that didn't help either.Anyone else have the same problem and did it get fixed?

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2

Re: [TWC] Fayetteville NC - PS3 slow connection after Ultimate u

Where are you doing your speed tests from? If from the PS3, ignore them. They're wrong as the server is somewhere in Cali, and I've never seen anyone in this area get over 18 through their PS3 on any TWC service.

The routing to the PS3 speedtest server sucks. Use speedtest.net.

szgorzelski

join:2013-03-11
Fayetteville, NC
Speedtest.net does not work on PS3's browser, but I did try a few other sites and they all confirmed the slow connection. I know for a fact it's slow because both Netflix and YouTube have become unwatchable due to constant buffering literally about every 5 seconds. On my laptop, however, it's lightning fast. Pages load in a second. There's got to be some sort of compatibility issue with the PS3 and this Ubee modem.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to szgorzelski
No there's not. You read these very same forums you will find people who have issues with Youtube across all ISPs and platforms. Youtube slowdowns are a known. The PS3 speedtest is simply wrong. It might be right for the specific server it uses (Not sure if it's in Cali or Japan, never confirmed, but it's nowhere near NC).

I'll have to find the page that shows you what IPs to block to help speed up youtube issues, but that, again, isn't TWC or the router.

I would recommend (As always) to replace the router with your own regardless. The routers in all-in-ones are afterthoughts and barely work right for a lot of people on gaming. The hardware and NAT features generally suck, and a lot of people complain about the Ubees in general.