share rss forum feed

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101

I think all prices are going up.

1.) crude oil is up, therefore gas is going up.
2.) property taxes going up
3.) income taxes going up
4.) satellite/cable providers going up

I guess the dumb question is, what isn't going up?

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

2 recommendations

Payrolls sure not going up!

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to David

The difference is those are items of value. AT&T DSL is worthless trash to anyone that has a real choice between broadband providers.

This a perfect time for the U.S. to take a fresh look at the lack of broadband 'competition' and how overpriced it is compared to about every other country in the world.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to David

said by David:

Upstream back-haul costs.

Probitas

@teksavvy.com
reply to CaptainRR

Confidence in politicians and lawyers....

Faith in the economy....

Quality of service....

Jobs at home vs. overseas....

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to David

said by David:

PAY. Standard of living. Hope for the future!

And the CPI is a complete lie. Anyone who believes inflation is 1% isn't living in the real world.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to David

If that's the case, why has my DSL line been $41.95 for over a decade? Inflation has certainly been ongoing the whole time, yet my Bellsouth (now AT&T) rate hasn't changed -- nor has my Earthilink/TWC service, fwiw.

The thing everyone, including Karl, are missing here is the word DIRECT in that letter... he's a dry-loop, no phone service, customer.

(The the record, I've kept the DSL line only because it has a grandfathered static IP -- and no port blocks.)

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

1 edit
reply to David

said by David:

The bang for the buck on information technologies, where the prices are actually dropping exponentially all the time*

Like for example, People used to have to spend thousands of dollars to get 4TB of storage capacity just a few years ago. These days all people need to spend to get that kind of storage is $170.00.

It's the same story for processing speed, where just a few decades ago the processing power that fits in your pocket used to cost millions of dollars and was actually called a "super computer"
These days you only have to spend around $300.00 to have that "super computer" on your pocket, and it's around 1000~2000 times faster.

So you see, the fact that AT&T is not only raising the prices on obsolete technology is ridiculous when the technology to deliver gigabit speeds for around the same cash exists today.

* -- Unless you're a telco that is unwilling to serve customers with new technology because they can't be bothered to spend a dime on infrastructure, since they already charge you the same with their obsolete and very soon useless technology. (and then maybe they can convince you to spend exponentially more on their wireless networks, because you know, there's a spectrum crunch and bandwidth is so finite they have to have your right eye for just a little bit of it)

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

said by David:

PAY. Standard of living. Hope for the future!

And the CPI is a complete lie. Anyone who believes inflation is 1% isn't living in the real world.

LOL, real world? try living in Mexico, that will feel very real to you then. We've had 3 zeroes taken from our currency years ago, and it's allready catching up again.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

I think that's kind of the point, isn't it? The plan isn't SUPPOSED to be to race backwards, but that's exactly what's happening.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2

The reality is in today's world, the little guy is fucked. If you have to go to work in the morning to make a buck, you're one of the little guys.

Some of us are just more fucked than others. Agreed the CPI is bullshit. They strip the cost of food & energy out of it. The exact 2 things you can't live without and say inflation is "low".

It's all smoke & mirrors while we argue republicrat vs deomocin.

All along we end up screwed & squeezed.

Things can't go on like this much longer. The politicians are strangling the country for their own personal agendas and we pay the price...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

tivoboy

join:2004-05-10
Menlo Park, CA
reply to David

technically crude is DOWN, gas has been running for completely different reasons. It's not related to WTI crude pricing

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by tivoboy:

technically crude is DOWN, gas has been running for completely different reasons. It's not related to WTI crude pricing

yea check it again, come summer. Then tell me crude prices are down. I am sure they will say it's because it's a summer blend, but recently it was said the winter blend is more expensive. So now all I know both "blends" are expensive!
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to N3OGH

said by N3OGH:

Things can't go on like this much longer. The politicians are strangling the country for their own personal agendas and we pay the price...

Remember - we hold the key. Get enough people to vote them out vs vote the party line and watch things change. Politics should never be a career rather something you do out of service to your country. When we stop making it a career we get back to the principals this country was founded on.

HiDesert

join:2008-08-17
reply to morbo

Bingo we have a winner! Very little competition here. Huge margins and you can bet allot of collusion behind closed doors. Millions of dollars in lobby to keep it that way.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

The difference is those are items of value. AT&T DSL is worthless trash to anyone that has a real choice between broadband providers.

As I heard it said once.... "One man's trash is another man's treasure...."