JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Judge stops NYC ban on large sugary drinks.

Personally I think the law is absurd...

»www.cnn.com/2013/03/11/us/new-yo···dex.html

quote:
A state judge in New York on Monday invalidated the city's upcoming ban on sugary drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces in certain venues, a major setback for Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who has backed several laws aimed at New Yorkers' health.
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!
What part of "Illegal" is so hard to understand...

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Good. The Little Dictator didn't get his way. Now he'll pout.
He is so out of touch. At his news conference he had the nerve to say it wouldn't cost consumers any more money. If I go to a pizza place with my grandkids I know that 4 16oz bottles of Pepsi will cost a hell of a lot more than 1 2 liter bottle.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to JRW2

Yeah good! I'm going out to get a 2 litre bottle to celebrate!

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Pathfinder

said by Pathfinder:

If I go to a pizza place with my grandkids I know that 4 16-oz bottles of Pepsi will cost a hell of a lot more than 1 2-liter bottle.

The most ridiculous thing that I have heard is that if you order pizza, Chinese or any other sort of take-out for delivery, it would be illegal for them to deliver a 2-liter bottle of soda to your home along with the food. Never mind that you may have 20 friends over for a party and that soda will be shared by all. Yet it's still perfectly legal to buy the same 2-liter bottle at a supermarket or a grocery store.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JRW2

This was just the wrong battle to fight. While I am glad that smoking is not allowed in restaurants or bars any longer, I have to cite that as the example that lead to this because give an inch and they'll take a mile.

btw: my example would be a large soda at the movies which I am sharing. Having two soda's certainly would cost more.
--
Add a signature here

Pirate515
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by PhoenixDown:

While I am glad that smoking is not allowed in restaurants or bars any longer, I have to cite that as the example that lead to this because give an inch and they'll take a mile.

For that very reason above I opposed the smoking ban as well (and by the way, I don't smoke). IMO, restaurants and bars are private businesses, and it is up to those who own and/or manage them to decide what's allowed and what's not once you walk through that door. As a customer, you can vote with your wallet and if you do not like something about the place, you can choose not to go there again and not to give them your money. If you want them to change something, approach owner/management with your concern(s) and if your business is important enough to them, they'll listen.
said by PhoenixDown:

BTW: my example would be a large soda at the movies which I am sharing. Having two soda's certainly would cost more.

Same here. When going to the movies with family, significant other or friends and multiple people have the same soda preference, it just makes more sense to buy a larger serving and share. I'm surprised that Hollywood has not tried to fight this. With them claiming that movie theater attendance is at all time low, Mayor Mike is giving NYC movie fans even more reasons not to go.
--
If the opposite of pro is con, then the opposite of progress is Congress.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Pirate515:

said by PhoenixDown:

While I am glad that smoking is not allowed in restaurants or bars any longer, I have to cite that as the example that lead to this because give an inch and they'll take a mile.

For that very reason above I opposed the smoking ban as well (and by the way, I don't smoke). IMO, restaurants and bars are private businesses, and it is up to those who own and/or manage them to decide what's allowed and what's not once you walk through that door. As a customer, you can vote with your wallet and if you do not like something about the place, you can choose not to go there again and not to give them your money. If you want them to change something, approach owner/management with your concern(s) and if their business is important enough to them, they'll listen.

I disagree, and I support MORE restrictions.

All the bars and restaurants cried that they would have to close their doors if they had to ban smoking. It never happened, and business increased after the ban went into effect, in fact many places are hard to get into because they are so crowded now..

Unlike soda consumption and even alcohol consumption, smoking affects many more people than just the smoker, and they can not control the smoke, or where it goes...
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!
What part of "Illegal" is so hard to understand...

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to JRW2

I agree with you on the part about the second hand smoke which is the foundation really for the law that went into effect.

That said, I don't think I was ever naive enough to think a day like the Soda Ban wouldn't come. The pro-smoking groups warned about. The anti-smoking groups said it was nonsense yet here we are at the hour.

This isn't to do with smoking however, its about the slippery slope we create.
--
Add a signature here

Pirate515
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

said by PhoenixDown:

I agree with you on the part about the second hand smoke which is the foundation really for the law that went into effect.

That said, I don't think I was ever naive enough to think that soda ban wouldn't come. The pro-smoking groups warned about. The anti-smoking groups said it was nonsense yet here we are at the hour.

This isn't to do with smoking however, its about the slippery slope we create.

That's what I was getting at. And JRW2 See Profile said it himself, "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile".

You are right, the smoking ban had very little if anything to do with smoking, it set a precedent to to try to limit other things. After smoking ban came trans fat ban, calorie counts, health grades and now soda ban. If this isn't stopped, what's next? Limits on how much sex we can have or how much air we breathe, just because Mayor Mike thinks too much of it is not good for you?
--

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Want to curb obesity, don't ban soda, ban the ability to buy it with food stamps.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

I don't think you can buy it with food stamps. Only pure juice type drinks. At least that's the way it used to be when I worked in a grocery store years ago.

Pirate515
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

said by La Luna:

I don't think you can buy it with food stamps. Only pure juice type drinks. At least that's the way it used to be when I worked in a grocery store years ago.

Going back to the days when I worked at a supermarket (which was around 17 years ago), I think the official law was that you could buy contents of the bottle with foods stamps; however, you had to pay bottle deposit in cash. Of course, most mom-and-pop grocery stores never enforced it (or bottle deposit was already included in price). However, in supermarkets there was no way around that as everything was electronic and you had to scan UPC codes when ringing customers out. I remember that customers paying with food stamps were always a PITA for us cashiers, especially when they bought both food and other stuff not covered by food stamps; you had to get them the food stamp total first, then after they paid that, they had to pay cash for the rest. Of course, that was back in the day when paper food stamps were used; nowadays those who get food stamps carry EBT cards for that purpose.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies.
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

I would assume its like my FSA purchases in the drug store, first you swipe your FSA card, the system decides what's eligible, then you settle the balance.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to JRW2

Now Bloomberg wants to hide the cigarettes. He must really have it out for Delis and Bodegas.

Pirate515
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

4 edits

said by Stacy:

Now Bloomberg wants to hide the cigarettes.

Yet another "bright" idea that will do very little if anything to curb smoking. People buy cigarettes because they want them, not because they are on an open display. As long as stores are still allowed to carry them, it won't make much of a difference whether they are in an open view or stashed away under the counter.

I also love it how he says that this will eliminate discounts and any other incentives to buy cigarettes. Newsflash, heavy smokers who are determined to get their fix at a "discount" are already getting it either at outlets in Delaware or at Native American reservations. Even with cost of gas and tolls factored in, it totally makes sense to make a trip once every few months, load up a trunk full and bring it back to the city. Oh, and did I mention that NYC gets $0 tax profit from this? Way to go Mayor Mike!