Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Cable is better

Cable is better than DSL when it works. Getting them to fix things is another ball game. I've had so many problems with Comcast like getting bot notification e-mails even though I've ran antivirus software on the computers I suspect might be infected and the software said "no viruses detected".

U think its an extortion attempt to sell me signature support. If I pay to have my computer fixed, it will be at the apple store or the geek squad. Having taken college courses on computers and networking, I don't need some "technician" to read me instructions off a script (for a fee of course) for stuff I already know and I can ask for help on DSLR as well.

Their signature support is about milking consumers, I'd trust the Geek Squad or Genius Bar before I'd trust Comcast. At least Comcast is generous enough to give me free copies of Norton Internet Security for Mac with my subscription.

--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

Re: Cable is better

said by IowaCowboy:

Cable is better than DSL when it works. Getting them to fix things is another ball game. I've had so many problems with Comcast like getting bot notification e-mails even though I've ran antivirus software on the computers I suspect might be infected and the software said "no viruses detected".

That doesn't mean there are no viruses or malware on your computer.
georgeglass5

join:2010-06-07
New York, NY
Seriously ? You'd let someone from geeksquad touch your PC / MAC ? You haven't studied enough, if you think thats a wise choice, nine times out of ten the calls I get are from clients fed up with geeksquads shenanigans, and need the job done right. Good luck with that.
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

Geeksquad = People who apply for said position and answers 'viruses and spyware' when asked what causes computers to break, then gets the job on the spot.
Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
said by IowaCowboy:

Cable is better...

No doubt it's better. But if i was them i'd be worried, cable is almost as obsolete as DSL is. Sure it is a bit more future proof than DSL. But not by a whole lot.
DSL providers had it easy, all they had to do is move to their very lucrative wireless business. But what about Cable providers?
Very soon their technology will feel just as outdated as DSL is today. (hell, it's already outdated)
Whats their long term plan? I'm sure they don't feel pressure from Google's non-obsolete service because of the very limited area it covers. But something better than cable will come along, and they won't be ready for it.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Kamus:

said by IowaCowboy:

Cable is better...

No doubt it's better. But if i was them i'd be worried, cable is almost as obsolete as DSL is. Sure it is a bit more future proof than DSL. But not by a whole lot.
DSL providers had it easy, all they had to do is move to their very lucrative wireless business. But what about Cable providers?
Very soon their technology will feel just as outdated as DSL is today. (hell, it's already outdated)
Whats their long term plan? I'm sure they don't feel pressure from Google's non-obsolete service because of the very limited area it covers. But something better than cable will come along, and they won't be ready for it.

At least Cable is more future proof than DSL as you can increase bandwidth by increasing the number of bonding channels with future DOCSIS revisions. DSL is outdated as it relies on infrastructure built back in the early 20th century before computers came around.

HFC has plenty of available bandwidth, its just up to the industry to use the bandwidth wisely. Some ideas to conserve bandwidth on HFC is to eliminate SD channels that have an HD duplicate and develop set-tops that downconvert HD channels to SD for customers using SDTV sets. Switched digital video is another option. Ditching analog channels has reclaimed a lot of bandwidth.

Cable has a bright future ahead. It's just up to the operators to make use of those resources.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

Etobicoke, ON

said by IowaCowboy:

Cable has a bright future ahead. It's just up to the operators to make use of those resources.

It has a future, but so does DSL. Neither have a bright future. The only things with a real bright future is fiber based services.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 recommendation

said by Kamus:

Sure it is a bit more future proof than DSL. But not by a whole lot.

Uh.. What? You should really look into DOCSIS 3.1.

Etobicoke, ON

said by Simba7:

Uh.. What? You should really look into DOCSIS 3.1.

DOCSIS 3.1 still leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't resolve the Achilles' heel of cable having awful upstream speeds. It is still pretty weak compared to FTTH.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by 34764170:

DOCSIS 3.1 still leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't resolve the Achilles' heel of cable having awful upstream speeds. It is still pretty weak compared to FTTH.

..and the chances of getting FTTH everywhere is highly doubtful. At least DOCSIS has a chance when xDSL doesn't even come close and can't.

Not to mention, 10Gbps downstream and 1Gbps upstream isn't "awful" at all.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
MyLaptop[Asus G53SX,32GB RAM,2x750GB HDD,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[PE1750,4G RAM,3x36G HDD,2xIntel Pro/1000+GT Quad Port,Gentoo]

Etobicoke, ON

said by Simba7:

..and the chances of getting FTTH everywhere is highly doubtful. At least DOCSIS has a chance when xDSL doesn't even come close and can't.

Not to mention, 10Gbps downstream and 1Gbps upstream isn't "awful" at all.

That's 10Gb down / 1Gb shared for everyone on the node not per user, that's typically 100+ houses. That is awful.

Here VDSL2 is whipping cable. Most users couldn't care less about the peak high end download speeds but tons of users are sick and tired of pathetic upload speeds with cable. Cable can't compete. On top of that if MSOs tried to roll out higher speed tiers at the 75+ Mb speeds to a lot of users per node the network would be completely and utterly congested.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by 34764170:

That's 10Gb down / 1Gb shared for everyone on the node not per user, that's typically 100+ houses. That is awful.

Um.. I'd like you to find a switch that can deliver 1Gb to each house. You're forgetting the actual backhaul to the node itself.. and I doubt the ISP is going to use a core switch at the node that costs several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

100+ houses would have to have at least a 100GbE connection to the node (probably 3x40GbE connections). In a large neighborhood, there would be multiple nodes. Of course, most ISP's oversell the nodes.

So, if your ISP can get ahold of several TbE connections (that don't exist at the moment) to supply the nodes, it's not happening. That is the truth.
--

Etobicoke, ON

said by Simba7:

said by 34764170:

Um.. I'd like you to find a switch that can deliver 1Gb to each house. You're forgetting the actual backhaul to the node itself.. and I doubt the ISP is going to use a core switch at the node that costs several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

100+ houses would have to have at least a 100GbE connection to the node (probably 3x40GbE connections). In a large neighborhood, there would be multiple nodes. Of course, most ISP's oversell the nodes.

So, if your ISP can get ahold of several TbE connections (that don't exist at the moment) to supply the nodes, it's not happening. That is the truth.

It is no big deal to produce such a switch chip now never mind 2 years from now. But no one said 1Gb to each house especially not every house. DOCSIS 3.1 couldn't handle that. Also it is 10Gb for everyone on the node, not 100Gb. By the time DOCSIS 3.1 rolls out 2 years from now 10Gb to a node will be no big deal when we're in a network environment very heavily utilizing 100Gb Ethernet at the core.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by 34764170:

It is no big deal to produce such a switch chip now never mind 2 years from now. But no one said 1Gb to each house especially not every house. DOCSIS 3.1 couldn't handle that. Also it is 10Gb for everyone on the node, not 100Gb. By the time DOCSIS 3.1 rolls out 2 years from now 10Gb to a node will be no big deal when we're in a network environment very heavily utilizing 100Gb Ethernet at the core.

Multiple channels. At the moment, DOCSIS 3.1 can handle 24x8 channels. So, if that gets filled up, you could add another node instead of running another fiber to a different node from the core.

100GbE is not going to be able to handle an entire city. You're going to need at least a 1TbE backbone or have multiple 100GbE backbones. If not, you're just oversubscribing the whole network and will feel the pinch when the entire network becomes saturated at peak usage.

This is where we are now. The coaxial lines are more than able to handle DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 channels on several nodes, but the backbone can't keep up with it when fully utilized at peak times.

It's like offering ADSL, but only feeding it a couple T1 lines. Yes, some Telco's do this on purpose.
--
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
said by IowaCowboy:

At least Comcast is generous enough to give me free copies of Norton Internet Security for Mac with my subscription.

Generous enough? Sounds to me like they are trying to take you out!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by Skippy25:

said by IowaCowboy:

At least Comcast is generous enough to give me free copies of Norton Internet Security for Mac with my subscription.

LOL. I wouldn't install that crap on my worst enemys' computer.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by Simba7:

said by Skippy25:

said by IowaCowboy:

LOL. I wouldn't install that crap on my worst enemys' computer.

I thought Norton was the best security software money could buy.
--

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by IowaCowboy:

I thought Norton was the best security software money could buy.

I hope that's sarcasm I see.