how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whatsavegan

join:2013-03-11
Newark, DE

[Northeast] Fios MoCA madness

Long story about how I am trying to get rid of my dvr and cable boxes to save close to $60 a month. I am using a hdhomerun prime and HTPC running Windows Media Center (WMC) in the living room connected directly to my MI424WR GEN2 Ref F router(connected to ONT via coax). From there I have cat5e running to a gigabit switch in the basement which connects a couple PCs and my wireless router (wireless is disabled on MI424WR). I am using XBoxes as WMC extenders to get the same functionality.

Everything on the first floor is working well, but the TV on the second floor was not working out. So I got a pair of Actiontec coax to ethernet adapters (ebc2200) and I figured that would solve my problem and also increase my LAN speed.

I got them this morning and hooked them up and my internet speed is great, very happy with that. But I cannot see anything on my LAN or connected through the LAN ports on the MI424WR. Everything I read on the internet appears to be discussing using a SECOND MI424WR as a coax-to-lan bridge. So I have the following questions:

1. Can I configure my setup so that an xbox (or pc, whatever) connected to my network via a coax to ethernet adapter can connect to other machines/PCs/whatever on the LAN?

2. Must I have a second MI424WR to act as a coax to ethernet bridge and connect to a LAN port?

3. Does connecting the MI424WR to the ONT over ethernet instead of coax allow me to work around this?

4. I called both Verizon and Actiontec support. Both would make excellent posts in the rants section, especially actiontec, but the Verizon rep did mention that the Gen3 version of this router is out and it might fix the problem. Any thoughts on that?

Any other feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Glen

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

On the router login to admin panel and go to advanced and then igmp proxy, make sure it's disabled.

Here is a shortcut to take you right to the page »192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

Vz enabled it remotely during a firmware upgrade for some users.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to whatsavegan

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) Your wan connection type makes no difference.

4) Gen3 router will make no difference.

It's not clear from your post how you're connecting the two ECB2200s. Are you extending your network to two different rooms (one ECB2200 in each room), or are you connecting one of the ECB2200s directly to the Actiontec?

If you're connecting one of the ECB2200s directly to the Actiontec, don't do that. The Actiontec IS a MOCA bridge. You don't need a second ECB2200 for that. Connecting a MOCA bridge directly to the Actiontec will create a routing loop. That's the same as connecting two ports on the Actiontec together.

If you've not already done so, review the following FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

whatsavegan

Newark, DE
reply to kes601

Thank you so much, that did the trick!

It is amazing the speed I get now.

Thanks again, glen

whatsavegan

Newark, DE
reply to More Fiber

I have two that I am trying to use in two different rooms. Thankfully, just got it working.
Thanks for your reply. glen

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

I have a question More Fiber. I would like to use one of these Moca adapters to extend my internet connection to my livingroom rather than running about 150 of wire. From this post, I gather all I would need to make this happen is using 1 moca network adapter, is that correct? What product would you recommend so I can go and purchase and make this happen?

I have a splitter in my livingroom already with a coax wire free so I can just plug directly into the moca adapter then run Ethernet from that adapter to my PC in the livingroom.

BTW - I have the 150/65 connection, what kind of speeds would I see on my PC in the livingroom with this setup?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Anything on MoCA 1.x is limited to less than 100Mb real world throughput today, so you will not get anything close to 150Mb on a MoCA bridge. MoCA 2.0 should allow for higher speeds, but there is no way to tell until 2.0 hardware is tested in the field.

DBLClick

join:2002-06-07
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

moCA 1.1 permits speeds up to 177mb, I using two Apple Airports Extremes connected via a Actiontec moca 1.1 adapter at the distant end. With a 150/65 Mbps service I was able to get throughput of 150 Mbps download at the distant end over 5.ghz wireless N.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ

1 edit

DBLClick, so you have an Actiontech FIOS router then connected the Actiontec moCa device plugged into your coax somewhere in your house then 2 airport extremes? Can you elaborate? Thanks

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to whatsavegan

Last question I have.. which one should I purchase? I found different makes on amazon. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Actiontec Verizon Coaxial Network Adapter (ECB2200V) - Actiontec

Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500C)

Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter Kit for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500CK01)

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I went ahead and ordered the ECB2500CK01 which has 2 adapters. Amazon says it will ship to my address tomorrow. Hopefully I don't run into any issues..

»www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Etherne···08EQ4BQG

Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter Kit for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500CK01)

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to mig288

I would stay away from the ECB2200V. That is a VZ only model. Two downsides.
1) It is MOCA 1.0 only.
2) Can not be used as a MOCA bridge to STBs. Not your situation, but if at some point you want to use it as a bridge between a third party router and your STBs, it won't work.

The ECB2500C is MOCA 1.1. The only difference between the ECB2500C and the ECB2500CK01 is that the latter comes with two ECB2500C units.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ

Thanks for the response More Fiber., I can use the first bridge for living room and the second moca bridge in my basement because the fios router already acts as the moca bridge. Is that a correct assessment?

Thanks.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to DBLClick

said by DBLClick:

moCA 1.1 permits speeds up to 177mb, I using two Apple Airports Extremes connected via a Actiontec moca 1.1 adapter at the distant end. With a 150/65 Mbps service I was able to get throughput of 150 Mbps download at the distant end over 5.ghz wireless N.

I find that doubtful with an Actiontec ECB2500. The ECB2500 has a 100Mbps LAN port, so there's no way you would get more than 100Mbps through the unit. Your laptop may have established a connection speed to the AE of 150Mbps, but you weren't getting that speed through the ECB2500.
--

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

Anything on MoCA 1.x is limited to less than 100Mb real world throughput today, so you will not get anything close to 150Mb on a MoCA bridge. MoCA 2.0 should allow for higher speeds, but there is no way to tell until 2.0 hardware is tested in the field.

To be honest nycdave., as long as I can get above 50 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up, I'll be happy. Currently, on my wireless connection, I'm only getting 8 to 10 Mbps down and about 10 - 12 Mbps up. The distance of my fios router and walls and floor plan gives me a lousy wifi connection.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to mig288

said by mig288:

Thanks I can use the first bridge for living room and the second moca bridge in my basement because the fios router already acts as the moca bridge. Is that a correct assessment?

Yes.
--

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

I find that doubtful with an Actiontec ECB2500. The ECB2500 has a 100Mbps LAN port, so there's no way you would get more than 100Mbps through the unit. Your laptop may have established a connection speed to the AE of 150Mbps, but you weren't getting that speed through the ECB2500.

That said, perhaps I'll see closer to 90 - 97 Mbps on the downstream from the moca adapter. I'm certainly curious to see what I'll get.

whatsavegan

Newark, DE
reply to mig288

said by mig288:

Thanks for the response More Fiber., I can use the first bridge for living room and the second moca bridge in my basement because the fios router already acts as the moca bridge. Is that a correct assessment?

Thanks.

mig288, that is exactly my setup. I recommend the dual pack. I got mine from Amazon, but I think buy.com (now called something else) had them for less last weekend.

edit: not exactly my setup, I have fios router in main TV room, one ecb2200 in another room on the 1st floor and the second ecb2200 upstairs.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

whatsavegan, my fios router is actually upstairs in my computer room which is opposite side of the house than is the living room which is on the main level. I looked in home depot and lowes for cat 5e and cat 6 but felt it would be better/cheaper to find an alternative because I would need to run some lengthy wire and have my work cutout for me with the layout of the house.

whatsavegan

Newark, DE

This would be an option I would try first. Seriously I ran cat 5e to a few rooms on my first floor. It was easy enough having access via the basement. But the upstairs would have been too much of a pain. I am only wishing I had found this earlier. No more running cables for me!

DBLClick

join:2002-06-07
Manassas, VA
reply to More Fiber

wireless adapter is connected directly to the verizon ReD router. It's 10.100.1000 ethernet. Only the distant end is a ECB2500.

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
reply to whatsavegan

Received my Moca devices today and I hooked the one up for the living room and I'm getting about 75 Mbps down and about 68 Mbps up. Very happy with this setup. Do these devices have a GUI?

Thanks

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Yes, there is a custom GUI, however, I strongly discourage it's use. It's easy to brick the ECB2500 with the wrong settings. i.e. it works out of the box. Don't muck with it.

You can find the configuration guide and documentation here:
»www.actiontec.com/products/produ···=251#doc
--

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ

Thanks for your help More Fiber! Much appreciated

mig288
Premium
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to whatsavegan

Click for full size
Ok, I changed my config a little. I have moca device now attached to apple airport extreme to extend my wireless network and now I have a PS3, roku, and hard wired from my airport extreme to my PC in the living room. Love this MoCa device!! Thanks to all!!!