spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tttt

@charter.com

[Speed Issues] Is Charter shaping RTMP traffic? How can I check?

For about 4 or 5 months, I've been streaming games I like to play to twitch.tv for a small audience. It's a lot of fun and I really enjoyed doing it, but about a month ago my connection to this service started slowing down for no apparent reason.

I tried speedtest.net and pingtest.net and they came out fine. But I still couldn't stream to twitch.tv without dropping frames, connection issues, etc.

Then I tried a traffic shaping test from Glasnost, and apparently my upload traffic is being shaped on specific ports. Then I tried the test again twice, and it came out normal.

But despite ping and speed being apparently normal, I still can't stream to twitch.tv. But it's not just Twitch. I also can't stream to any other websites. I tried hashd.tv, a private site, and livestream.com. I also tried reducing upload rate to these sites, but it only worked temporarily.

As it turns out, the RTMP protocol uses port 1935 by default. I want to test and see if my traffic to this port is being throttled, but I can't figure out how. Any ideas would be welcome, as well as any other input about traffic shaping in general.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI

Re: [Speed Issues] Is Charter shaping RTMP traffic? How can I ch

you have to change your ports every month. Every month i have to change my bittorrent ports, otherwise my torrents get throttled by port.

Tttt

@charter.com

I'm not sure if I can simply change my RTMP streaming port, however. I'll have to figure it out.

It's a shame they just assume you're doing something bad and then throttle you. Everyone's a potential criminal I guess.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Tttt :

I'm not sure if I can simply change my RTMP streaming port, however. I'll have to figure it out.

It's a shame they just assume you're doing something bad and then throttle you. Everyone's a potential criminal I guess.

if your uploading stuff constantly, even on the bandwidth you pay for, they will eventually throttle it.

Tttt

@charter.com

Can I call them and let them know that I'm not torrenting or something? I don't know what to do. I've taken several speed tests and my upload shows up just fine on those, but I can't stream to twitch.tv or anything else that uses RTMP. I haven't tested streaming video on a different port yet.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
reply to Tttt

the only way your not get throttled is to go to business connection

siech0

join:2001-03-20
Warrensburg, MO
reply to Tttt

Is it possible you are hitting your monthly data cap and then Charter is throttling you because of that?

Also, what are you using for broadcast software (Xsplit or OBS) ?

Tttt

@charter.com

I'm using OBS, and I've tried broadcasting to multiple websites and all of them are unwatchable.

I don't think I'm hitting my data cap because this has gone on for over a month now, and it doesn't let up. Also, I can download at max speed and upload to websites at my best speed as well.