spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Twaddle
@sbcglobal.net

Twaddle

Anon

DSL pricing from ATT

Guess its a matter of if you want Internet then you have to pay the price to those who provide it. If no alternate provider is providing the service and ATT doesn't want to provide DSL services and are willing to raise prices to force people out then that's what will happen.
Internet access is NOT a right nor should we as taxpayers be required to provide Internet service to public institutions (read schools/libraries hospitals) with our tax dollars, after all the Internet is a luxury and all those bureaucrats can use alternate services already provided by tax dollars like the US mail for correspondence, hospitals can keep hard copy records and pay a courier to deliver them store them etc. and those pesky children can go to their libraries and use outdated and non- relevant books to do their research/study. Yeah the Internet access thing is a friggin' joke here in the US of A and the joke is on the tax paying citizen consumer. Our various governments aren't going to provide the taxpayer with any relief or assistance with their personal internet but by God they're going to reach into your wallet to take your money so THEY can have Internet service then tell you all the information you need/require is on the Internet but good luck finding the services for you. Don't say go to the public library for Internet service because they don't keep them open 7x24 or even 4 x 12 hours a day. If the private sector won't provide an obviously "needed" service then the government is compelled to provide it.

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Again the old Rich guy slogan "why should we provide it for those that need it" i mean come down from that cloud dude and do some christian like "share the goods with those that need" oh and if you are not a christian(insert other religion here) or don't believe in anything then follow the golden rule: Do on to others like you like to be done to you" I don't care giving my taxes to fix the problems in my community,city,sate or country. You want to hear a good joke..find me a right wingers that actually care for the poor. Oh and funny thing is that every gov that is not a third world nation wants their children to have the latest tech so they can move forward no wonder we are dropping in the education level all over. Also those ideas you have post office,hospital hard copies and paying carrier are not working because theres no money for it yet with the net you can do all that guess for how much on the long run?= Free. Also want to know why those public services are not open 24/7 365..simple because theres no money for it but yet we have money for improving our military to fight every country in the world but no money for internet and better education for the poor. Oh and mind you i love the military but we need to take care of our poor,children and the elderly.
shrraga
join:2012-07-22

shrraga to Twaddle

to Twaddle
Actually, the postal service is a separate entity from the government, that operates on it's own funding that is made from operating its shipping/ mailing business, however it's owned by the public (but not funded by the public, as mandated by the constitution of the united states). As it's publicly owned, congress purposefully screwed it (requiring prefunding of retirement accounts for... 70 years I believe?), in order to bankrupt it and drive all the business to the private sector (which doesn't have to prefund retirement accounts at all).

So, my point is... if all correspondence from public institutions swapped to the postal service, it would cost more (say a hospital sent 40,000 emails, that would only cost the really low internet costs... now if the hospital sent 40,000 snail mail letters that would cost $17,600 if they were paying only $0.44 for the paper, envelopes, and stamps. So, patient quality of service would vastly degrade because it would take 2 weeks to get medical records because we can't provide internet to hospitals, and tax payer shouldn't give phone lines to the hospital either, because that is a luxury too, and because the hospital doesn't have a phone line they cannot use fax machines to get medical records... So, gotta raise the cost of medical care because there is not an instant cheap method to transfer all the patient records, and long wait times.